Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Softail Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.

P

Old 09-05-2013, 03:49 PM
One Of The Regulars
Default Is there any harm in...?

Is there any harm in removing the plastic protective cover under the passenger seat? The mrs does occasionally like to ride but I'm wanting the solo look but dunno if I should leave it on and get a fender bib or if I'm safe and just removing it. I'm concern with the passenger seat rubbing the fender if I take it off. 2011 Heritage by the way.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Road Warrior

Anything that rubs the bare fender will eventually leave some type of mark. You could probably rub it out with a little compound but it depends on how long you go like this. Even though the seat is vinyl wrapped with felt on the bottom its the movement that causes the problem. The more you wife shifts side to side the faster it will wear down the clear.

That being said I have mine off becasue I ride solo 99% of the time and haven't had issues with the occasional pillion use.

Hog Deluxe makes a bib that covers the whole plastic protector sticker but allot of guys have been having trouble with them lately.

Any competent custom leather guy could make one, try Timberwolf Leather if you don't want to chance Hog Deluxe. Just call and tell him you want a full coverage bib and maybe give him dimensions.
2005 Deluxe - 98 Big bore kit, HQ575 cams, TTS, Shotgun Shock Rr / Progressive Frt, Burley 1 1/4 beach bars, DNA Fat Spoke / SS brake rotors, Ness Retro footboards, Billet calipers, HD low pro console, HD Stainless cables, LED signal/brake conversion with strobe, LePera custom, Fig Eng. A/C, Samson mini cholos, Adjure with HID headlamp and a little chrome here and there etc...

Old 09-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Road Master

If you take the sticker off and use a pillion even with nice felt under it it gets tiny particles of sand and dirt in the felt when riding that rub and becomes sandpaper you will have scratches. So leave it on and cover it with a bib or go permanently solo. You know your wife would like her own bike anyway.
82nd Airborne Ft. Bragg 90-94
Old 09-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Premium Sponsor
Send a message via AIM to Hogpro

I took mine off as I ran a solo seat on the softail and got a fender bib. Never did put the 2 up seat back on, but if I was going to I would have left the bib to protect the fender. A lot of it really has to do with how particular you are about your bike.

It is there for a reason though.
hogpro@gmail.com
Old 09-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Took mine off. Hardly ever ride 2 up anymore.

2032.0cm³
07 FXST Bored n stroked
by Kirby at Vee Twin racing!
66 triumph tiger DOA
Old 09-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Road Captain

I just use a solo seat and left the plastic protector on the fender. I have been figuring I would jsut take it off so of the 32k miles on my bike less than 100 where two up. I am already thinking about painting my bike any way.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:24 PM
One Of The Regulars
Send a message via AIM to kraydog

Took mine off 09 Deluxe along time ago and just put a microfiber cloth under the seat when we ride two up.Seems to holdup well,and the seat is off most of the time anyway.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:42 PM
One Of The Regulars

Thanks guys I think I'm gonna go with a fender bib I looked around and I like the one Timberwolf offers. They got one that matches my bags pretty well. I took the passenger seat off to have a look and after a good cleaning I can start to see where it's rubbing on the clear coat so I can use the fender bib to help cover that up.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 AM
Road Master

I took mine off and went with a solo seat because the OL rides anyway. I then decided to do a 500 km trip with a back pack on my sissy bar. The back pack rubbed the **** out of my rear fender. I used 3M Scratch Remover kit and it worked flawlessly....even took out the rub marks on the edges where the stock two up sat....

Wrapped Hooker Fourbidden
Figure Machine Vision AC
LaBriola Jockey Shift
Shotgun Shock
Fully internal LA Choppers 13.5" TreeHugger Apes
Grip Ace for switch delete
Old 09-06-2013, 04:28 AM
Elite HDF Member

I've got an '11 Heritage also. My passenger seat left marks on my fender outside of the area protected by the 3M film. I just took the film off and rubbed out the scratches since I ride solo most of the time. When I do use the seat, I put either a bib, microfiber towel, or clean piece of chamois under it. Seems to work just fine...
Old 09-06-2013, 04:28 AM

P