Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

East Penn Battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:23 PM
cgmartine
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Cool East Penn Battery

I was looking for a battery for my 2006 Heritage, and checked Amazon. The battery they have listed is the Deka ETX-20L, made by the East Penn company and sold by BatteryMart. When I double checked the East Penn website, they also have listed the battery as ETX-20L, however, it states that it does not conform to EOP for Harley-Davidson. They do not list any other battery for the Softail. ETX-20L is the only battery that will fit a Softail, so if does not conform to HD, which one does?

Old 10-13-2014, 01:14 AM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The DEKA battery will fit. You can also get a Advance Auto parts battery which is the same battery made by EPM with a different label for only $63.99 if you use the correct discount code when you check out.

check out the Battery Poll on this forum for more battery info.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-buying-7.html

Last edited by Sharpie; 10-13-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:51 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 20L is the battery I put in my '10 FLSTFB, it fits the same as the stock one

Old 10-13-2014, 10:09 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cgmartine
I was looking for a battery for my 2006 Heritage, and checked Amazon. The battery they have listed is the Deka ETX-20L, made by the East Penn company and sold by BatteryMart. When I double checked the East Penn website, they also have listed the battery as ETX-20L, however, it states that it does not conform to EOP for Harley-Davidson. They do not list any other battery for the Softail. ETX-20L is the only battery that will fit a Softail, so if does not conform to HD, which one does?
Recently replaced the battery in my 2005 FLSTN-I. EXT20L from NAPA. Same Deka manufactured battery and no problems with fit. The only difference is the supplied spacers for the Terminals. Apparently HD holds a pattern on the flush mount terminals.

Reference recent post: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...l#post13315149

Old 10-13-2014, 07:54 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Many of my riding brothers experiment with all the different batteries on the market. I personally like HD batteries. The last Harley battery I had in my bike lasted for 6.5 years and was still usable when I removed it. The only reason I replaced it was simply because of it's age.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by olongapo1
Many of my riding brothers experiment with all the different batteries on the market. I personally like HD batteries. The last Harley battery I had in my bike lasted for 6.5 years and was still usable when I removed it. The only reason I replaced it was simply because of it's age.

It was made by EPM/Deka...They make the "Harley-Davidson" batteries.

You just get to pay extra for the bar and shield logo.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:20 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
It was made by EPM/Deka...They make the "Harley-Davidson" batteries.

You just get to pay extra for the bar and shield logo.
Actually you are partially correct.

I just had this discussion with my East Penn Rep. He said the Deka battery will fit, they (East Penn) do make the HD battery, but they are not the same. He showed me their spec sheets and said you can use the Deka battery, the casing and lead plates are different in the HD. It is true, the HD battery is made for vibration and cranking.

My last HD lasted 7 years of trouble free use, I have buddies that say they get around 2 years +/- with the Deka. Do the math, in the end the cost is the same.

Just saying, no offense meant to anyone.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:36 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Gommee
You are completely incorrect.

I just had this discussion with my East Penn Rep. He said the Deka battery will fit, they (East Penn) do make the HD battery, but they are not the same. He showed me their spec sheets and said you can use the Deka battery, the casing and lead plates are different in the HD. It is true, the HD battery is made for vibration and cranking.
BS! So you're actually trying to say that EPM/Deka makes their own battery...But they intentionally make it poorly? To what end?
Your "rep" would have been full of **** had the discussion actually ever happened....But we both know it didn't.

The batteries are identical in every way except the case that they put it in.

My last HD lasted 7 years of trouble free use, I have buddies that say they get around 2 years +/- with the Deka. Do the math, in the end the cost is the same.
I use Deka batteries in every vehicle I own, including my Kenworth tractor (wanna talk about a hostile environment for a battery?) These batteries have outperformed every other battery I have ever run, hands down.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:18 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

If you would post, or link to these spec sheets, that would be great. Since East Penn makes both batteries, they shouldn't mind the information being out there.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

My discussions were with a Technical Rep, not a Sales Rep. They make the HD battery for HD to HD specs. No, they do not make their batteries less inferior, they make them to their own specs.

I never said their batteries were crap and yes the discussion DID take place.

To each their own, Make your own decisions, it is your bike and your money. If you don't like what I have posted, you don't have to slag me, do your own research.

Quick Reply: East Penn Battery