Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rush exhaust on Breakout popping.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Flying too low
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rush exhaust on Breakout popping.

I have bought a dozen new harleys in past 5yrs. I have put Rush slip ons on all of them. Just put on 1.75 on Breakout and get decel popping. I had Rush 1.75 on my 13 Fatbob no problem. 2012 Ultra 2.5 baffle perfect. Just the balanced motors I on my Soft deluxe they popped too. Why perfect on all my other bikes and pop on softails with balanced motor? Any thoughts. Love the sound and look but popping drives me nuts.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:27 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

First check for AIR leaks where the muffs goes on to the header pipes.

I fought the decell pop and ever a few KA-Booms, till I resealed them.

Dealer install them at the 1k along with Stg1 and SERT,, they couldn't tune it out.

Called Rush and the tech told me in 15 secs what the prob was - AIR LEAKS,, Yeppers, he was right.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Flying too low
Cruiser

How did you reseal?

Old 09-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Torque the clamps down to 65 ft/lbs and it should seal. It's recommended to use new clamps as they can stretch and apply pressure unevenly. A high temp silicon can also be used to seal the inlet.

Thanks for running Rush on all of your bikes! We appreciate your continued support. Give us a call if these tips don't eliminate the pop as it could be a tuning issue.
-Ryan

Old 09-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Flying too low
Cruiser

I took bike back to dealer and dealer said baffles problem. They said try different baffles.

I almost dropped for V&H big radius with SE tuner heavy breather. I was able to test drive thatset up on new bike and it popped as bad as mine now. So glad did not spend big money on that set up. Anybody tried the 2 inch baffles on Rush slip ons with any luck?

Old 09-23-2013, 06:30 PM
smithrw
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default baffles

I'm running rush 2" baffles along with Thunder torque inserts and the popping is all but gone. Still get a little gurgle sometimes. Actually I kind of like the sound of decal popping.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:04 PM
cornholio
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have VH Big Radius and a Heavy Breather on my Breakout. No popping what so ever. I have a Dynojet Power Vision from Fuel Moto. Sounds like an air leak or a tune that needs a little work.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:56 PM
jskicet
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smithrw
I'm running rush 2" baffles along with Thunder torque inserts and the popping is all but gone. Still get a little gurgle sometimes. Actually I kind of like the sound of decal popping.
Do you have video of your exhaust? I would like to hear what it sounds like with the rush added to the BCT's

Old 09-24-2013, 01:19 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
First check for AIR leaks where the muffs goes on to the header pipes.

I fought the decell pop and ever a few KA-Booms, till I resealed them.

Dealer install them at the 1k along with Stg1 and SERT,, they couldn't tune it out.

Called Rush and the tech told me in 15 secs what the prob was - AIR LEAKS,, Yeppers, he was right.
Originally Posted by Jeff Ryndak
How did you reseal?

Biggest issue was I had the dealer do the muffs with several other things at the 1k.

What the Wrench did was He didn't get the Muff clamps installed Correct. He had 1/2 of the clamp off the front of the muffler which caused the 4 slots to raise up at the back end of them, thus causing the air leaks in both mufflers. Ended up with total of 8 places I could see day light when I looked into the Muffs from the rear.

They removed the muffler tapped down the metal around the 4 slots that had risen on both mufflers and then installed them again and with new clamps tightened them in the correct area of the muffer.

Then they Re-Dynoed it again....ALL on their Dime....

Now she does the Jake brake sound on decell and only guggles a little and once in a great while she'll let out a little Pop..

Old 09-24-2013, 09:05 PM
glady0407
Stage I

I bought a brand new Heritage in June with the Rush slip ons 2.0 as the only mod. I also had a lot of decel popping. At 1000 miles did a stage one with high flow air cleaner, racing tuner and dyno. Decel poping is gone, but so is $900. It's the price of owning a Harley.

Quick Reply: Rush exhaust on Breakout popping.