Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Seat Sucks - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:25 AM
06-HD-Deluxe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Seat Sucks - Help Please

I have an '06 Softail Deluxe FLSTNI and I have been looking for a new seat over the past couple months. Throughout all of my research (including this forum), I have seen many different opinions.

My issue is that I feel like I am riding a bike that is way to small. I am very crowded on the tank as well as the handle bars. After a couple hours of riding, my lower back and tailbone are killing me. I have seen that there are many Deluxe riders that have the same issues with the stock seat. I have already put highway pegs on the engine guard and it has helped somewhat, but the bike is still very uncomfortable.

I have looked at many seats and found that Corbin Solo seats look to be one of the most popular seats and they have very good reviews. I called Corbin and started to order a solo seat, but the girl I was speaking to said that the seat would put me in the same approximate position as the stock seat. I have also read that the Heritage Classic and Heritage Springer seats are good options for the Deluxe.

I am trying to find a seat that will get me a couple inches higher and 2 to 3 inches back away from the tank. I am 6 feet tall with a 34 inch inseam and I weigh around 200 LBS.

I know that there has been many discussion about this, but I wanted to revive the conversation to get a fresh perspective. Will everyone please weigh in and give me some advice? Also, if you have part numbers, that would be a great bonus. Thanks to all in advance.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

www.meancitycycles.com

Give him a call and get options on your stock seat a fraction of the cost on "guessing" what new seat might work.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:39 AM
06-HD-Deluxe
1st Gear

That is what I am leaning toward at this point. There is no definitive information on a good seat. I have heard that Corbin is good, but that could turn out to be a $500 mistake. I was also looking at a Heritage Classic seat...but still not definitive. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:46 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I also have an 06 Deluxe. I took my stock seat in to an upholsterer who did cars, bikes and custom work. I had them redo my stock seat and it worked out great for me. I had 1 1/2" of the stock foam removed and replaced with 1" of the new Gelfoam, then I had it finished in black and white to match my bike. I was able to follow the progress and when I made a correction I didn't have to ship it back and forth, back and forth. I now sit a little lower and a little further back but I don't know about 2 or 3"s though, that's an awful lot no matter what seat you find or go with. I now love my seat and I have zero pain and I got what I wanted on the first time out of the gate. I also put apes on it too and it changed how I sat and again, zero pain! Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:56 AM
06-HD-Deluxe
1st Gear

Good looking bike Tony...who was the upholsterer that you used? Do they have a website?

Old 10-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

You can also try rotating your handlebars.

I have a mustang seat on the way that is scheduled to be delivered this afternoon.

I am not sure what I am going to do with the original seat on my 95 heritage. It has two small tears in it but opted to replace since I was looking for more back support.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:00 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by 06-HD-Deluxe
That is what I am leaning toward at this point. There is no definitive information on a good seat. I have heard that Corbin is good, but that could turn out to be a $500 mistake. I was also looking at a Heritage Classic seat...but still not definitive. Thanks.
Of all the bikes (9) I've had and even with 2 customs seats I had made, BY FAR the Stock seat on our Heritage is the BEST seat I've ever had.. PERIOD..

If the Stock seat goes South, I Definitely will replace it with another Stock Heritage seat.

U can remove the spots if U want to and I am pretty sure (correct YR applies) one will fit Ur bike.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:03 PM
yandeltx
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2012 Deluxe and I feel like I am too far pushed forward, even with my 14" apes. I called Mean City Seats but they told me there was nothing they could really do, maybe they will tell you something different.

Will a stock Heritage seat fit on a deluxe? I really like the looks of the Heritage seat.

Originally Posted by 06-HD-Deluxe
I have an '06 Softail Deluxe FLSTNI and I have been looking for a new seat over the past couple months. Throughout all of my research (including this forum), I have seen many different opinions.

My issue is that I feel like I am riding a bike that is way to small. I am very crowded on the tank as well as the handle bars. After a couple hours of riding, my lower back and tailbone are killing me. I have seen that there are many Deluxe riders that have the same issues with the stock seat. I have already put highway pegs on the engine guard and it has helped somewhat, but the bike is still very uncomfortable.

I have looked at many seats and found that Corbin Solo seats look to be one of the most popular seats and they have very good reviews. I called Corbin and started to order a solo seat, but the girl I was speaking to said that the seat would put me in the same approximate position as the stock seat. I have also read that the Heritage Classic and Heritage Springer seats are good options for the Deluxe.

I am trying to find a seat that will get me a couple inches higher and 2 to 3 inches back away from the tank. I am 6 feet tall with a 34 inch inseam and I weigh around 200 LBS.

I know that there has been many discussion about this, but I wanted to revive the conversation to get a fresh perspective. Will everyone please weigh in and give me some advice? Also, if you have part numbers, that would be a great bonus. Thanks to all in advance.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I also have an 06 Deluxe. I took my stock seat in to an upholsterer who did cars, bikes and custom work. I had them redo my stock seat and it worked out great for me. I had 1 1/2" of the stock foam removed and replaced with 1" of the new Gelfoam, then I had it finished in black and white to match my bike. I was able to follow the progress and when I made a correction I didn't have to ship it back and forth, back and forth. I now sit a little lower and a little further back but I don't know about 2 or 3"s though, that's an awful lot no matter what seat you find or go with. I now love my seat and I have zero pain and I got what I wanted on the first time out of the gate. I also put apes on it too and it changed how I sat and again, zero pain! Good luck and keep us posted.
If you remove some foam I was curious how the leather or vinyl lays. Does it bag up? Thanks.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 PM
06-HD-Deluxe
1st Gear

Originally Posted by yandeltx
I have a 2012 Deluxe and I feel like I am too far pushed forward, even with my 14" apes. I called Mean City Seats but they told me there was nothing they could really do, maybe they will tell you something different.

Will a stock Heritage seat fit on a deluxe? I really like the looks of the Heritage seat.

Strange that MCC said that they cannot do anything. I plan to call them this afternoon and will report back on what they say.

I have read in many forums that a Heritage Classic seat will fit the Deluxe. I am going into the dealer this Friday and plan to ask a ton of questions. I will let you know if I find anything valuable.

Quick Reply: My Seat Sucks - Help Please