Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage totlal power cut out while riding

Old 10-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Xtremerider112
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Heritage totlal power cut out while riding

Hey guys. My buddy has a 2002 Heritage Softail and is experiancing some electrical issues and was wondering if any of you have had this same issue. He said he can start it up, head out and a few miles from home it just randomly will shut off mid cruise and then turn back on again for no reason. He said he hasnt done anything(fixed or added anything) to the bike since before it started. Any suggestions? He is leaning towards the main power switch on the dash but HD wants $250 for it and he would rather not throw money at it on a whim. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:02 PM
mystc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd first check your battery connections, happened to me once and thats all it was. I hope it's as simple a fix.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:12 PM
forever 2 wheels
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Not sure, I had a 2003 Ultra Classic do similar game.. Turned out bike had faulty circut breaker, I think Harley recommended increasing breaker 10 amps. Just something to check and be sure to get correct info before increasing any electrical loads or ratings.. I bought new breaker from Napa Auto Parts, ran about $6.00 with my discount. Good luck

Old 10-07-2013, 02:12 AM
xltjim
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Try turning on the ignition switch and just jiggle it a little. When mine was bad it would kill the lights and not start - just by jiggling. I was told the switches aren't serviceable. For the money the dealer wanted for the switch, I figured it was worth a shot to attempt to fix it and if all else failed I would just have to buy a switch (what was there to lose in trying to fix it). Its a very simple thing to take apart. Remove from the dash, remove the snapring behind the switch --take it apart slowly as there are contacts that will fall out and could be tricky figuring out how to re-assemble. Mine was corroded inside. I cleaned it up with some electrical contact cleaner and sandpaper. Put some dielectric grease on the contacts and was good to go and no further issues. I also had some corrosion on the electrical connection on the switch, cleaned that up as well. Good luck! Jim

Old 10-07-2013, 04:40 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by mystc
I'd first check your battery connections, happened to me once and thats all it was. I hope it's as simple a fix.
Same issue once with mine. one of the battery bolts loose.

Now its an auto self check every oil change.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:49 AM
forever 2 wheels
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by xltjim
Try turning on the ignition switch and just jiggle it a little. When mine was bad it would kill the lights and not start - just by jiggling. I was told the switches aren't serviceable. For the money the dealer wanted for the switch, I figured it was worth a shot to attempt to fix it and if all else failed I would just have to buy a switch (what was there to lose in trying to fix it). Its a very simple thing to take apart. Remove from the dash, remove the snapring behind the switch --take it apart slowly as there are contacts that will fall out and could be tricky figuring out how to re-assemble. Mine was corroded inside. I cleaned it up with some electrical contact cleaner and sandpaper. Put some dielectric grease on the contacts and was good to go and no further issues. I also had some corrosion on the electrical connection on the switch, cleaned that up as well. Good luck! Jim
May I add a few things to this repair. First step would be to disconnect battery cables before removing dash. Another step would be to place large towel over tank to prevent damage and it may also catch any parts that decide to fall out and play hide an seek

Old 10-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Big D Harley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem, it was the ignition switch on the dash. Dealer said it was not serviceable so I replaced it. Next time I might check for corrosion.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:37 PM
loosnut
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had exact same issue with my 2012 heritage and turned out to be a bad connection on negative battery cable. Never messed with cable before and seemed tight but after taking it loose and cleaning it never happened again.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:40 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Place your index and middle finger on each side of the ignition switch ****. If it feels warm or hot and hasn't been sitting in the sun, then it's probably the switch.

You can reverse the two outside wires and see if it goes away. The accessories may be sporatic but the bike should run without losing power. If that happens, replace the switch.

Buy one from J&P cycles for about 30 bucks. You have to do a slight modification to the switch housing so that HD's proprietary connector snaps onto the switch but nothing that a little time and a point file won't fix.

C#

Old 10-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Norms 427
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Good thread, because on a day ride this past Sunday my wife's '05 Heritage quit running while we were going downhill from a mountain pass. She pulled the clutch in and coasted and tried to restart ... after about the 3rd try it started again and was fine for the rest of the ride.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heritage totlal power cut out while riding