Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Warranty Thread - because we are tired of the warranty warnings posts in every exhaust thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 11:41 AM
Gee
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts
Default 2018 Warranty Thread - because we are tired of the warranty warnings posts in every exhaust thread.

Why an 2018 warranty thread...........So we don't have to hear about it in every up coming exhaust thread.

Most of us are tired of the warranty warnings and arguments that come up in threads that they take over. I suggest we all agree to just leave the warranty issue out of threads where there is no specific questions about it. It is always brought up in every thread there is an exhaust question and there are going to be a lot more exhaust threads now that more options are hitting the market. It ends up taking over the thread and pretty much ruining what normally would be an exciting issues. We all know about the warranty issue. How could we not know? Some are going to heed by it for 2 years others are going to make their bike what they want it to be.

So there is two fold here. Those that always bring it up for some reason and those the feed into it. So to improve our forum we can all reach deep down inside and find our inner strength and attempt to NOT bring it up and if our forum brothers cannot find the strength to restrain it is up to us to help them by NOT replying to their post about it. Let it just die. I vow to do my part......

I herby pledge to not bring up the warranty or to reply to a post that does in a thread that is not directly related to the matter.

Signed
Gee

Can't we all just stay on topic? (humor)

It's worth a try.........right?

Since this is a thread about the warranty.......

Just curious are there any owners that have bought a new 2018 softail not aware of the warranty issue pertaining to the exhaust on your new bike?

I was told at the time of my purchase about it.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:22 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Do you know if we put an exhaust on does it void our warranty or not if we install a power vision? Like can I put the exhaust on and it's ok just up to the dealership if i flash?

Old 11-16-2017, 02:38 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee
Why A 2018 warranty thread...........So we don't have to hear about it in every up coming exhaust thread.

complaining about a minor issue and you cant even you proper grammar lol..i do not care either way, I am bored at work

Old 11-16-2017, 02:51 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,376 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Originally Posted by decencyxdefied
complaining about a minor issue and you cant even you proper grammar lol..i do not care either way, I am bored at work
Maybe you should proof read your condescending comments next time....

The following 5 users liked this post by hattitude:
24v (12-19-2017), Gee (11-16-2017), j33ptj (11-24-2017), Johnny Goodlife (03-03-2018), wldbill (11-23-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 03:15 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

It isn't just 18's, 17's share the same problem.

The following users liked this post:
Gee (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 06:52 PM
Gee
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Hell if that was the only error I made in that post. I feel pretty good about it. My intent was to make a suggestion to avoid the complaining not to complain about it.

There are some on here that know the warranty very well. I do not but I will attempt to answer and hopefully anything I get wrong will be corrected. If I understand it correctly if you change out your exhaust they have reason to void your warranty. Except for the HD Street Cannons. right? If you use a tuner other than the Screamin Eagle Tuner they have reason to void the warranty. From what I read the SE tuner doesn't let you tune outside of the EPA guidelines or something to that effect. I potentially voided my warranty the first week I had the bike.

Didn't realize the 17s were in on this deal. Sorry to hear that. I am sure this warranty issue has not helped with the sales of the new models.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:46 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I bought two 17's last model year and one 18 so far. Could care less about a 24 month factory warranty. Zoom it's gone.

Now a 10 year warranty on a bike might make me follow the maker's rules. Well maybe.

A few months ago I bought an 08 Crossbones that had less than 8,000 miles on it. Now what good did the two year warranty mean for the owner during the 1,600 miles it was ridden those two years? It did get a recall as the 08's were certified with cats and a few 08's got out the factory with 07 catless mufflers. They gave the old ones to the owner and he gave them to me. Guess which ones are on the bike now?

Old 11-17-2017, 01:10 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I'm all for this thread, but I'll say most exhaust threads I've seen someone always asks or doesn't know the score regarding the warranty. That cats in the touring (header) vs the Softails (muffler - aside from the Fat Bob's in the Header) doesn't help the confusion.

Normally I don't care about the warranty, ever, but the few guys that had sumping kill their motor...one guy is on his 3rd...spooked me. If my new bike suddenly needed a $6,000 (NOT including labor) motor put in on my dime, it would be sitting in my garage for maaaaany months till THAT cookie jar was full...

I have bikes in the garage to mod to my hearts content (pretty tame by many standards), this one I just want to ride as much as possible. The SE stage 2 will hold me for now and is rolled into my 5 year ESP....NEVER bought an ESP before either...Deal with the devil I made when I agreed to buy a first year motor with known issues...ok I was the devil but I wasn't crazy.

Warranty warranty warranty warranty....there, got it out of my system a bit. Thanks Gee.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:40 AM
Toner123
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by izzyryder
Do you know if we put an exhaust on does it void our warranty or not if we install a power vision? Like can I put the exhaust on and it's ok just up to the dealership if i flash?
If the part is not epa certified then it voids the warranty. Same thing with the tuner. The map has to be epa certified. Some will argue this, and I really don't care.. I spoke to HD warranty department and that's what I got from them. Some will also argue this and say it's not true about the warranty and there is a law protecting us from them voiding the warranty. I was one of them also until I realized how HD was spinning it.

So I will explain. When I brought the law up to the warranty department, the lady was fully aware of it. If you put a part on the bike that is not epa compliant, that makes the bike in HD's eyes for competition use; since all vehicles on the road must meet federal epa requirements. The warranty in the owners manual clearly stats they don't warranty bikes for competition/off road use. So could this be fought in court if you had the money? In my opinion, absolutely. Just requires you to admit in court that you broke federal epa law and risk the big *** fine. Which is more then a new motor.

The following users liked this post:
BigRed117 (03-06-2018)
Old 11-17-2017, 08:30 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

This will be the first time I am not touching pipes, exhaust or tuner. As many of you know I had a 16 S Fat Boy with an engine that went boom at 21 months old and 24,000 miles, HD did step up and replace the engine. But I had a Vance and Hines exhaust system and a Thundermax tuner and let me tell you I was worried until the day the bike was delivered home that they could choose not to honor the warranty.

So this time I am taking no chances with my 18 Heritage. yeh it's quiet but it's certainly awake enough for me, I don't see what else I need or want from this bike in terms of power.

At the end of the 2 year factory warranty I plan on buying an extended warranty. They will also not honor engine/exhaust mods so I'm not gonna risk anything.

Quick Reply: 2018 Warranty Thread - because we are tired of the warranty warnings posts in every exhaust thread.