Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ward's cooling fans OR oil cooler, what's a better mod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:49 PM
89Speedy
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Ward's cooling fans OR oil cooler, what's a better mod?

I hear good things about the Ward's cooling fans but I'm wondering about adding an oil cooler. They attack the heat issue differently. Any idea which might work best? pros and cons? Thanks guys!

Old 10-18-2013, 02:51 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Oil cooler, it's already an air cooled engine. With the mods I have and the oil cooler I have I never see my bike over 200 degree's. Also, syn oil cools much easier and runs cooler. I prefer and use nothing but Amsoil. Working in the Chemical field and privy to certain material, I feel it's the best on the market today but 10 other guys will tell you what they use and swear by it too.

Last edited by tbonetony06; 10-18-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:15 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I can tell they are about the same price, and to me, the oil cooler looks better on the bike than the fans. They don't look terribly out of place, but still a bit off, like speakers on the side or something. I have the oil cooler and cant tell you how much it actually helps, but I think running oil through a cooler and then back into the engine will do more to cool the bike down than a pair of fans blowing on one side of the engine.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

My opinion is you aren't getting much cooling out of an oil cooler when you need it the most and that's when you are stuck in traffic. At speed I don't see much need for it. The fans aren't pretty, but it seems to me they are more useful.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:35 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

The oil cooler attacks the results of the problem (too much heat) after the fact. The fans address the source of the problem, Pushing air across the hottest part of the engine so that it never gets hot enough to even need an oil cooler.

And it works well, moving or not moving. And works just as well on the rear cylinder (which is mostly blocked from the wind when moving down the road).

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Esuomm1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do both, this way you can spend more time wrenching and buying stuff.

I did the oil cooler, liked the look afterward too. Didn't do the fan, didn't like the look.

I am in the camp that both are a waste, but I like adding stuff.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member

Received 5,590 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
The oil cooler attacks the results of the problem (too much heat) after the fact. The fans address the source of the problem, Pushing air across the hottest part of the engine so that it never gets hot enough to even need an oil cooler.

And it works well, moving or not moving. And works just as well on the rear cylinder (which is mostly blocked from the wind when moving down the road).
I agree. I got the fans and an oil cooler, the oil cooler is still in the box.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:20 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

As has been said many times, oil coolers only work when air is forced through them. If you think its getting too hot while riding over 10mph, get an oil cooler. If its getting to hot stuck in traffic, get a fan. I have a Ward's fan and I love it. Oil cooler with an integrated fan could be the best of both worlds but I don't have experience with any.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by 89Speedy
I hear good things about the Ward's cooling fans but I'm wondering about adding an oil cooler. They attack the heat issue differently. Any idea which might work best? pros and cons? Thanks guys!
After reading all the replies, is it any clearer now which to go with?

I would think that since the oil cooler provides internal cooling to the engine while the fans provide external cooling wouldn't it be better for the engine to be cooled internally before it gets hot?

I mean it seems to me that the fans push the heat off the engine however at that point the engine is already hot so hasn't any wear already taken place?

If I had to make a choice, I'd go with the oil cooler and add a Capt. Itch crotch cooler to cool my thighs, however for me just the crotch cooler works fine.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:07 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have seen comments on here and NASCAR was given as a few examples so I'll try that. NASCAR engines, huge oil coolers, no fans and instead of 1 cylinder in back of a cylinder with it's air blocked , Nascar engines, 3 cylinders blocked by 1 cylinder in front of them. Oil does run cooler when stopped traffic too with an oil cooler. The fins do cool when air is not flowing through them too. They dissipate the heat and they also add volume to your oil capacity which means the more oil, the cooler the oil.

Quick Reply: Ward's cooling fans OR oil cooler, what's a better mod?