Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First longish ride on the Softail- Report with pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 12:38 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleeko
Very nice. Just noticed that this is a Deluxe done up like a Heritage. Was there a reason you didn't go with the Heritage to begin with?
Originally Posted by NH Marcus
I got pulled in on that too... Even had to put the glasses on to confirm it! Nice looking ride!

I like the looks of the Deluxe, but the lean angle of the Heritage. Plus since I ride a lot with the wife we (she) needed bags, and I wanted a windshield for the colder weather.

So I got a Heritage and traded out the tins and a lot of the trim with the Deluxe model.

Here is a link to my "Deluxe" Heritage transformation-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...thank-you.html

Originally Posted by one-up
Great post. I'm riding a '12 Road King and really like it. However, everytime I see a Heritage I start thinking maybe I want one. I sat on a new one today at a dealers. I really like the way it sits and the bars, hmmmm............ Your post has helped - thank you.
Yeah, totally different feel. I like it better!

Originally Posted by XKnight
I had a 2010 Road King and it was a great bike, but just never fit me as well as I would have liked. It felt bulky and I didn't care for the way I sat on the bike even after swapping out seats and handlebars. I have a Heritage now and it's a perfect fit even with the stock seat and handlebars. The only thing I miss on the RK is the cruise control, but for around $10 I installed a throttle lock device on the Heritage and it does the trick. I've owned every family of Harley's, except for the V-Rod, and I can say with confidence that the Softail line is definitely the one for me.
Yep! First HD seat I have not had to swap out or rework. First HD I've had that I have not changed the handlebars on.

Originally Posted by rallevar
Great pics man...thanks for sharing. Me and my Deluxe along with some bros did a five day road trip up to Durango from West Tx. this past summer, awesome trip. Life on a softail...don't get no better. Peace.
Cool! Sounds like a fun ride! Open road is good medicine.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-20-2013, 11:25 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I could never see myself riding anything but a Softail and a Softail with running boards and the suspension I now have. As far as all those broken bones DK, my hips and knees are just about shot. I have since found out that with the suspension changes I made I no longer hurt as much anymore. I can adjust when sitting at a light or in traffic or when I have to push it around like when backing up or when getting on and off of the bike. My hips no longer takes that beating when on shitty roads too. The way my bike now sits I think I could ride from coast to coast. I might be a little sore when I got to where I was going but without this suspension system I don't even think I would attempt it. I have found SO MANY pro's with this suspension system I now have and have yet to find one con to it! Food for thought. It blows getting old!!!

Old 10-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

Glad you had a great time. Very nice Heritage, really love the color combo.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

That is a great looking bike. Very nice.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:47 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I could never see myself riding anything but a Softail and a Softail with running boards and the suspension I now have. As far as all those broken bones DK, my hips and knees are just about shot. I have since found out that with the suspension changes I made I no longer hurt as much anymore. I can adjust when sitting at a light or in traffic or when I have to push it around like when backing up or when getting on and off of the bike. My hips no longer takes that beating when on shitty roads too. The way my bike now sits I think I could ride from coast to coast. I might be a little sore when I got to where I was going but without this suspension system I don't even think I would attempt it. I have found SO MANY pro's with this suspension system I now have and have yet to find one con to it! Food for thought. It blows getting old!!!
Hey! It's better than the alternative!!!

I'm still using the stock suspension...it is a plush ride for me...all I hear is good about the Shotgun, so it is inevitable that one day I will try it.

Originally Posted by Wide_Open
Glad you had a great time. Very nice Heritage, really love the color combo.
Thank you! I've wanted a softail with those colors for a LONG TIME.

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
That is a great looking bike. Very nice.
Thank you!

Old 10-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Callgood
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do really like my Heritage and do not plan on ever selling it. However, I really like my Limited for different reasons.
Initially, I was intimidated by its size, and being short made it a little worse. Now that I had my seat modded and have some miles it is much better.
Heritage- smaller, lighter and so cool looking. I can go from touring to solo in a few minutes. Now that I have the Limited it is usually stripped down. I still want to change some things, like new rims and possibly cholos and a distressed brown seat.
Limited- I ride it when its cold out or when wife is along. Tunes, coms with wife and other riders with CB. Great wind protection, comfortable and cruise.
Both are great platforms that have different pros and cons

Old 10-25-2013, 09:32 AM
wonson3
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shep68
Great looking bike and pics. I agree about the Touring models. Built for comfort, not style. Except the Road King; that's a good looking tourer.

Not so true statement. To each their own. There are a lot of touring bikes that is sooo stylish. I don't have touring bike but I musta say.

To the OP, thats great first long ride you had. And nice bike too.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:41 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Best color scheme ever placed on the tins. Thanks for the look see.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:07 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Threads like this one lets the secret out of the bag.
Soo many people don't realize how great a Heritage really is on long trips and overall.

I've been saying in here for 5yrs that the Heritage is a great road trip bike and rides a lot better than most give them credit for. I also think its the best riding Softail bike but Soo many just can't stand all the leather and spots..

Its also a great bike for 2up riding and the Ergo's in stock form is IMO the best of any bike MoCo makes. The seat and bars they come with is probably the least changed out of any Harley.

Over-all they are a great bike.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:49 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Callgood
I do really like my Heritage and do not plan on ever selling it. However, I really like my Limited for different reasons.
Initially, I was intimidated by its size, and being short made it a little worse. Now that I had my seat modded and have some miles it is much better.
Heritage- smaller, lighter and so cool looking. I can go from touring to solo in a few minutes. Now that I have the Limited it is usually stripped down. I still want to change some things, like new rims and possibly cholos and a distressed brown seat.
Limited- I ride it when its cold out or when wife is along. Tunes, coms with wife and other riders with CB. Great wind protection, comfortable and cruise.
Both are great platforms that have different pros and cons
I have well over 100k miles on a couple of 2 wheel touring models, and I have almost 50K on my Tri-Glide. Gotta say that if I went back to 2 wheels for long trips, I would seriously consider the Heritage as a base to put a fairing, tour-pak and hard bags on it.

Different strokes for different folks.

Originally Posted by wonson3
Not so true statement. To each their own. There are a lot of touring bikes that is sooo stylish. I don't have touring bike but I musta say.

To the OP, thats great first long ride you had. And nice bike too.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by jay72
Best color scheme ever placed on the tins. Thanks for the look see.
I think so too. Thank you!

Originally Posted by oct1949
Threads like this one lets the secret out of the bag.
Soo many people don't realize how great a Heritage really is on long trips and overall.

I've been saying in here for 5yrs that the Heritage is a great road trip bike and rides a lot better than most give them credit for. I also think its the best riding Softail bike but Soo many just can't stand all the leather and spots..

Its also a great bike for 2up riding and the Ergo's in stock form is IMO the best of any bike MoCo makes. The seat and bars they come with is probably the least changed out of any Harley.

Over-all they are a great bike.

Yep, only HD that I have not changed the seat or handlebars on.

Quick Reply: First longish ride on the Softail- Report with pics