Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First longish ride on the Softail- Report with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:03 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Since the original post, I've made quite a few multi-day trips on this bike. One was 11 days and over 3000 mile, two-up.

Every positive I experienced on that first trip has only been reinforced on subsequent trips.

This is a great touring platform. The only thing missing is cruise control, and the new Heritage MY's have the cruise.

I could not be more happy with it!

Pic from a few weeks ago on the way home from work-

From a year or so ago, packed up for a 3000+ mile trip

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-12-2017, 10:15 PM
Pete3323
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Man...I just love your bike. Feel the same way about my Heritage.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:46 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,754 Likes on 768 Posts

I've done MANY multi-day/multi-thousand mile trips aboard Reaper. I usually have one big summer road trip that lasts 3 - 4 weeks, and covers 6 - 7000 miles across many states, visiting friends. I've done LOTS of 500+ mile days, and quite a few 6-7-800+ mile days too. I never felt beat up by the bike, and even after 18+ hours on the road, I was comfortable. Softails are awesome long distance cruisers, as long as you have a good seat, and the suspension is set up properly.

This is Reaper loaded up for one of the summer road trips:

Cheers!

Last edited by Clammy; 01-12-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:02 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pete3323
Man...I just love your bike. Feel the same way about my Heritage.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Clammy
I've done MANY multi-day/multi-thousand mile trips aboard Reaper. I usually have one big summer road trip that lasts 3 - 4 weeks, and covers 6 - 7000 miles across many states, visiting friends. I've done LOTS of 500+ mile days, and quite a few 6-7-800+ mile days too. I never felt beat up by the bike, and even after 18+ hours on the road, I was comfortable. Softails are awesome long distance cruisers, as long as you have a good seat, and the suspension is set up properly.

This is Reaper loaded up for one of the summer road trips:

Cheers!
Hey Clammy, long time no see.

Great pic! Hope you have a great trip this summer.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:02 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

Great looking scooter! Thanks for taking us along on the rides.

I have a Heritage Springer and take an Epic Journey of 5K+ miles and three weeks most every year along with a couple of "mini-journeys" of a few hundred to 3K miles. Works for me!

Old 01-17-2017, 11:08 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by gtmalone
Great looking scooter! Thanks for taking us along on the rides.

I have a Heritage Springer and take an Epic Journey of 5K+ miles and three weeks most every year along with a couple of "mini-journeys" of a few hundred to 3K miles. Works for me!

Thanks!

Looks like you're loaded for a long, fun trip!

Old 01-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Jimmy55TX
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
A couple of weekends ago I took a few days off and went for a nice weekend on the Softail. Up until this point I literally had not ridden it more than a couple hundred miles in a day, just puttering around our general area.

Total trip was only a bit over 1k miles, a combination of interstate and secondary roads...dry and rainy weather. Gave me a good feel for 8 hours in the saddle for a couple of days.

Leaving out Thursday...

....a few hours and a couple hundred miles later at a gas stop.

I could have fit everything I needed for the weekend in the saddlebags and back rack. But I am partial to a backrest on longer rides, so I strapped some of my gear onto the pillion. Worked great for my old bones.

Had great weather and a great ride all the way down to the rally. (about 450 miles) After many years, and a couple hundred thousand miles on Touring models, I was just as comfortable (or maybe more) on the the Softail...only thing I missed on the interstate was the cruise...I used the throttle lock, but it's not quite the same.

Met up with a bunch of friends for the weekend.

Cool Sporty I got a shot of.

Watched some bike games...

The weekend went way to quickly!

Sunday morning getting ready to head out. It started sprinkling just as I finished packing up.

This was at my first gas stop on the way home. (had already stopped once to put on the rain gear)

It rained pretty steady all the way home. It was a great ride! I could not be more happy with how well the bike handled and rode.
Sounds like a fun run. I'm on my 3ed Heritage and doing 1000 mile runs is a breeze. Its a great bike. Not sure why the bagger fans think different but the Heritage is comfortable. granted the big couch seat isnt there but my back legs and arms feel much better on a Heritage after 6 or 7 hundred miles.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:08 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jimmy55TX
Sounds like a fun run. I'm on my 3ed Heritage and doing 1000 mile runs is a breeze. Its a great bike. Not sure why the bagger fans think different but the Heritage is comfortable. granted the big couch seat isnt there but my back legs and arms feel much better on a Heritage after 6 or 7 hundred miles.
Agreed, the Heritage is a great touring bike. I find the stock Heritage seat & bars far more comfortable than the stock touring seats & bars.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:43 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 615 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
To me, touring bikes are way too boring. They've got to put sound systems and touch-screens in them just to make them tolerable, and keep you from falling asleep.
I moved from an Ultra to a Fat Boy because I wanted a lighter and faster bike. I also wanted removable bags and windshield. I don't miss the Ultra's stereo. My helmet has Bluetooth speakers paired to my phone. I can listen to music and GPS voice navigation.