Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do It Yourself Fluid Changes

Old 11-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do It Yourself Fluid Changes

I've done the Google and forum searches and watched a few how-to vids so I think I've got it down but want to double check a few things. I've got one last dealer fluid change coming as part of the bike purchase, but then I will be doing them on my own. So for my 13 Heritage Classic:

Engine: Fill plug and dipstick next to the seat by right thigh. Drain plug located at the end of the hose coming off the bottom of the oil tank. Right side, bottom of frame. Easy enough.

Transmission: Fill plug and dipstick located below the engine oil tank and recessed a bit into the bike frame. Takes an allen wrench and looks to be a bit tight in there. Drain plug; no idea. Seems like it's directly under the bike dead center? Is this right? Do I need a bike jack to accomplish this?

Primary: Fill plug behind derby inspection cover. Drain plug directly under and to the rear of the derby inspection cover. Don't need to remove derby cover to get to this. Sort of directly across on the opposite side of the bike from the engine drain plug. Takes a socket wrench.

This all sound about right? And where is that tranny drain plug??? I don't have a bike jack, but feel like maybe this is something I should purchase now. Thx for the assist.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:25 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Shep68
I've done the Google and forum searches and watched a few how-to vids so I think I've got it down but want to double check a few things. I've got one last dealer fluid change coming as part of the bike purchase, but then I will be doing them on my own. So for my 13 Heritage Classic:

Engine: Fill plug and dipstick next to the seat by right thigh. Drain plug located at the end of the hose coming off the bottom of the oil tank. Right side, bottom of frame. Easy enough.

Transmission: Fill plug and dipstick located below the engine oil tank and recessed a bit into the bike frame. Takes an allen wrench and looks to be a bit tight in there. Drain plug; no idea. Seems like it's directly under the bike dead center? Is this right? Do I need a bike jack to accomplish this?

Primary: Fill plug behind derby inspection cover. Drain plug directly under and to the rear of the derby inspection cover. Don't need to remove derby cover to get to this. Sort of directly across on the opposite side of the bike from the engine drain plug. Takes a socket wrench.

This all sound about right? And where is that tranny drain plug??? I don't have a bike jack, but feel like maybe this is something I should purchase now. Thx for the assist.
Tranny drain is between the shocks and Up 2-3"'s.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:33 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can change all fluids without a bike jack. I use a wheel chock to get the bike straight up and down. Makes it easier to get to the primary plug and gets more fluid out than when leaned on the kick stand.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:33 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

The manual has pictures in it.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:39 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A jack is not nessessary to do fluid changes but IMO it does make it a little easier. A jack will also make cleaning and detailing your bike much, much more easier, especially when doing your wheels and tires so you kill 2 birds with one stone.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,857 Likes on 4,111 Posts

Hopefully these links will provide some useful information. Refer to your service manual if there are differences between the website and your bike.

Engine oil
http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.ENGINE.HTML

Primary fluid
http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.PRIMARY.HTML

Tranny fluid
http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.GEARBOX.HTML

Old 11-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Speleo
Road Captain

Received 453 Likes on 179 Posts

Best thing to do is to buy the Service manual. Has all the info, and it is money well spent, in order to save money on maintenance from now on.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Dealer maintenance on your Harley is really expensive; a manual and jack will pay for themselves easily. There are youtube videos on almost everything Harley, so you can watch someone else do it, see what it looks like taken apart, and decide if that's in your skill comfort zone before trying. With a jack, you can pull wheels off and take them in for a tire change - just about anyone is going to charge a lot more to pull the wheels off than to change the tire. At my age, kneeling down to do about anything on the bike is painful; besides a standard type jack on wheels, I have a hi lift Harbor Freight jack (won't roll with a bike on it) that lifts the bike high enough I've changed a clutch with it at chest height sitting on a stool. I always tie a bike to the lift so it can't be bumped over, too, regardless of ads that claim being sturdy enough they don't need to be tied.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:16 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Shep68
A lift table might make it a little easier, but a basic bike jack will make it harder to get to the drain plug between the shocks. JMO

Old 11-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies. Priced out some bike table. Harbor Freight has one for $349. Buddy uses one and really likes it. Pricey but probably worth it in the long run.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do It Yourself Fluid Changes