Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout front wheel 21" X 3.5" on 2008 Night Train

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:42 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 24v
I have a digital caliper and a Breakout. If you guys want to tell me what to measure I would be glad to help.
Thanks, I would most certainly like to take you up on that offer.

I will use my digital callipers and mark up a photo with dimension.

I need to make a decision by lunch time tomorrow, or lose the deal.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:57 PM
rockinred
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I have been researching this conversion; want to install the Breakout wheel on a 2005 Deuce. What I have come up with is that converting from one wide glide front end to another should be a pretty straignt forward conversion. The twist in installing on an early model requires removing the 25mm bearings and replacing them with 3/4" bearings installed per the 2005 SM procedure using the early inner/outer spacers and axle. What I am not sure about is whether or not the 25mm bearing bosses are deep enough to allow the wider 3/4" bearings to be pressed in far enough so that they don't stick out past the face of the wheel hub; not to attractive.

Another option might be to purchase the wheel install kit with new 25mm bearings, axle and spacers but that begs the question as to whether or not the rotor will align with the caliper/brake pads.

No doubt the Breakout wheel can be fitted to another model, that is really not the question. The questions are:

1. Is it a direct bolt on to another '08 or later wide glide front end?
2. What is required to install the Breakhout wheel on another '08 or later model with a standard front end?
3. Obviously not a bolt on to an early front end, wide glide or not so what is required for those conversions?

The fender is not an issue; it will have to be removed or replaced; fitment is the issue.

I have seen and exchanged emails with owners that have the Breakout wheel on a Springer, Deluxe and Custom but the owners did not do the conversion themselves so no one has been able to share the details of the conversion.
djl, I thought you got your questions answered? Are you running a 3/4 axle or 1" front axle? You told me 1" and I told you that makes it easier. As the 25mm and 1" bearings are the exact same dimensions therefore it will be a bolt on job after the bearings.

Here is the answer to your questions.
1. Is it a direct bolt on to another '08 or later wide glide front end? More than likely yes... but how would anyone know this for sure. As stated, most bikes are set up the same and the hub thickness on bikes don't vary too much. As long as the brake caliper is on the same side it should line up to the same forks and same exact bearing size.

2. What is required to install the Breakhout wheel on another '08 or later model with a standard front end? Not sure what question is here?

3. Obviously not a bolt on to an early front end, wide glide or not so what is required for those conversions? If you are referring to a 3/4 inch axle then there is a few choices. But your question can't apply to all "early" models.... because some early models are 1" axle diameter and as stated the bearings are the same od as 25mm.
So let's go on to your question about the 3/4 axle install. What I did is first tried to press 3/4 bearings into hub and they are too wide. They stuck out of the hub about 1/16 or so. Wasn't a matter of ugly, it is a matter of it won't work at all because the caliper couldn't line up. So there are really only two options for the HD Breakout fitting on a 3/4 axle. That is to actually machine the inner hub depth to accommodate the 3/4 bearing thickness.... or utilize a bearing reducer. This is a reducer fitting that presses into the 25mm bearing and then you press the 3/4 axle to the reducer and it makes it uniform. Some don't like this option as it is a reducer which can lead to an extra issue somewhere down the line, but who knows.

djl.... I think if you are looking for someone to know all the models that the Breakout wheel will fit you probably won't find that answer. It just won't be there because it is still fairly new and not a lot of riders are hell bent on that specific wheel and jumping through the loops to make it fit. I will say that like any wheel the breakout can fit your model with a positive can do attitude and some spacers. Mine didn't need spacers at all... just bearings pressed in correctly to line up and the rest of it was a bolt on with existing spacers. You guys never asked on rear wheel for obvious reasons, but the 3/4 bearings did fit on that wheel hub for a pretty much direct bolt on. I have the same rear width as breakout.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:01 PM
rockinred
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, there is one other option to make the wheel fit on 3/4 axle. You can make a new axle. Make it 25mm axle and the parts that stick out of wheel get machined for 3/4. That should work also, since the 25mm is bigger than the 3/4 axle. I think that's all I have to say about that fitment.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:10 PM
montrealbob
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the compliments DM426 and 1004ron.
DM426, its too expensive to get the back end to fit the Breakout rear mag. So, im not sure what to do with my rear end just yet. I might just get an 18 inch spoke looking mag to kinda match the front.
1004ron, In reagrds to the front fender I've asked my builder guy and awaiting his answer.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:43 PM
SoftailManiac
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great thread. I was thinking about doing the same thing. I can't wait to see some of the fenders that get used, because I would want to have one that looks as close to the original as possible. I am anxious to see if the swingarm from a breakout would fit an 08 FXSTC so the wider back rim and tire will fit also.
rockinred, that is a great looking Springer you have there.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:43 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 24v
I have a digital caliper and a Breakout. If you guys want to tell me what to measure I would be glad to help.
Originally Posted by 1004ron
Thanks, I would most certainly like to take you up on that offer.

I will use my digital callipers and mark up a photo with dimension.

I need to make a decision by lunch time tomorrow, or lose the deal.
24v,

Photos with dimensions attached - I really appreciate your help.

Attached Thumbnails Breakout front wheel 21" X 3.5" on 2008 Night Train-front-wheel-1.jpg   Breakout front wheel 21" X 3.5" on 2008 Night Train-front-wheel-2.jpg   Breakout front wheel 21" X 3.5" on 2008 Night Train-front-wheel-3.jpg   Breakout front wheel 21" X 3.5" on 2008 Night Train-front-wheel-4.jpg  

Last edited by 1004ron; 11-25-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:50 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Sorry man, I didn't realize you were going that deep. I'm afraid I can't measure this stuff accurate enough. Some of the larger dimensions I had to measure with a tape, and I don't trust my methods with your $.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:01 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

You know what, I'm gonna just give you what I have. If it seems slightly off it is because I couldn't get perfect measurements. I got them as close as I could.

For the first picture, I measured everything was roughly the same dimension as yours.
For the second picture, I measured a 21mm gap with a single spacer that is 38mm in diameter.
For the third picture everything was roughly the same, except my fender mounts are one hole above the other, not side by side.
For the fourth picture, I had 17mm from fork leg to brake rotor, and a 26mm gap with a single 38mm diameter spacer.

Take these numbers as a rough measurement. I think it will fit, you just may need to get creative with the spacers.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:30 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 24v
You know what, I'm gonna just give you what I have. If it seems slightly off it is because I couldn't get perfect measurements. I got them as close as I could.

For the first picture, I measured everything was roughly the same dimension as yours. - great !

For the second picture, I measured a 21mm gap with a single spacer that is 38mm in diameter. - as you say, might need to get suitable spacers.

For the third picture everything was roughly the same, except my fender mounts are one hole above the other, not side by side. - I noticed that in catalog photos, and hoping 'montrealbob' will come back with the fender to use.

For the fourth picture, I had 17mm from fork leg to brake rotor, and a 26mm gap with a single 38mm diameter spacer. - 26mm would be what I measure to the bearing and I made a type on the spacer diameter - both spacers are 38mm dia.

Take these numbers as a rough measurement. I think it will fit, you just may need to get creative with the spacers.
Thanks very much for that.

My measurements were taken with a tape measure and calliper, so not that accurate, but from what you report I'm confident that the BO wheel will fit.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:44 PM
bill in okc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. I've been thinking about getting a tubeless wheel for the front and I really like that Breakout wheel (I like the whole bike...). Would the Breakout front fender work with the Train's WG front end? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Breakout front wheel 21" X 3.5" on 2008 Night Train