Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout front wheel 21" X 3.5" on 2008 Night Train

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Now to find a tire for this wheel - just not finding it as easy as it was when I recently fitted stock Dunlop's.

I'd like the stock Dunlop to match the stock rear tire.

Looks like the 60 profile is what's making the BO front tire so scarce.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:39 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinred
If you are referring to a 3/4 inch axle then there is a few choices. But your question can't apply to all "early" models.... because some early models are 1" axle diameter and as stated the bearings are the same od as 25mm. So let's go on to your question about the 3/4 axle install. What I did is first tried to press 3/4 bearings into hub and they are too wide. They stuck out of the hub about 1/16 or so. Wasn't a matter of ugly, it is a matter of it won't work at all because the caliper couldn't line up. So there are really only two options for the HD Breakout fitting on a 3/4 axle. That is to actually machine the inner hub depth to accommodate the 3/4 bearing thickness.... or utilize a bearing reducer. This is a reducer fitting that presses into the 25mm bearing and then you press the 3/4 axle to the reducer and it makes it uniform. Some don't like this option as it is a reducer which can lead to an extra issue somewhere down the line, but who knows.
Red,
My primary interest is fitting the BO wheel to a 2005 Deuce; the first two questions were posted for the benefit of those that may own later models.

I also believe the answer to #1 is a very likely yes; wide glide to wide glide front end should be straight forward. The answer to #2 was specifically related to other '08 and up models that do not have wide glide front ends.

I understand that there are 1" and 3/4" axles in the earlier models and I thought the '05 Deuce axles was 1" but have confirmed that it is 3/4". Your answer confirmed what I was concerned about; that the 3/4" bearings, being wider, would not seat flush with the BO wheel hub in the bearing boss. The only remaining related question would be inner spacer fitment; the inner race of the wheel bearings should come in contact with the outer face of the inner spacer on both sides. Typically, on Harley wheels, one bearing is fully seated in the boss, usually the right side. The inner spacer dropped in and the other bearing installed until it contacts the inner spacer. This sets the rotor/caliper fitment; the inner spacer cannot rattle around in the wheel hub. The options you cited make sense and were the options I was considering; I just want to define the scope of the project before I pull the trigger on the wheel purchase. I am thinking there is another option which would be to purchase the BO wheel install kit that includes bearing, spacers and a 25mm axle; again, some questions but could be an option. The dimensions 1004ron has provided may answer those questions.

Lastly, I am not looking for someone to know all the models that the Breakout wheel will fit; just the 2005 Deuce. Thanks for your patience, I can be a bit like a bulldog when searching out information. I appreciate the information you have provided and will put it to good use.

Last edited by djl; 11-25-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:48 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Originally Posted by 1004ron
Now to find a tire for this wheel - just not finding it as easy as it was when I recently fitted stock Dunlop's. I'd like the stock Dunlop to match the stock rear tire. Looks like the 60 profile is what's making the BO front tire so scarce.

Ron, thanks to you and 24v for the dimensions; close enough for government work.

At this point in time, there is only one tire that will fit the BO wheel and that is the OEM tire available only from a dealer. You can keep looking and if you find one, let us know but I am pretty sure you won't. Same situation as the DT502 SE 180 tire for the rear of the Deuce which is still the only true 180mm tire for the Deuce. There is a Pirelli Night Dragon but a narrower tire, doesn't handle as well as the SE tire, doesn't like the painted lane divider markings and is a very low mileage tire if ridden aggressively at all.

The fact that the OEM tire is the only one available for the BO wheel has me thinking twice about making the conversion.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:01 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

You don't have to use the 130/60/21 on the Breakout wheel. There are other sizes that will fit. You can use a 120/70/21 or a 140/70/21.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:02 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bill in okc
Would the Breakout front fender work with the Train's WG front end? Thanks.
Not without some modifying. Completely different mounting.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:47 AM
rockinred
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys, I have done this install and let me try and help clarify a few things to help you guys get rolling on job. There are a couple of different questions going with a couple of different installs.

1004ron is the OP,

I want to assure you that the Breakout wheel will fit your bike with very minimal mods. The key measurements you would want to know on fitment for your set up was the 160mm wheel width and then really only the fender fitment from there. the 160mm is pretty close to a standard wheel depth of most wheels. That is approximately how wide the breakout wheel is too just as 24v confirmed. So from there it is just about lining up the caliper side and then maybe a spacer difference on the other side or more than likely no spacer other than your existing ones like my install. On your measurements, just use same spacer you currently have and mount that right up. If you have to adjust spacer it would be on the other side and would be real real easy to mount up. Especially since you already have the 25mm axle.

Fender,
The only other fitment issue is going to be the fender. All anyone has to do for this is go to ebay and enter your model in search and hit front fender for 21x3.5 and you will have your fender that will mount up perfect to your fitment or it will have the fender and you just have to drill holes to adjust fitment for height on it and then paint to match. The fender for a 3.5 wheel is usually at 6 inches and various styles. Some are a little less, but they go for anywhere $50.00 - $150.00 and style and fitment are plenty of options.

Tires
On the tires... yes, the HD Dunlop was the first to make a low profile tire for 21x3.5. the wheel 21x3.5 has been around for a long time in the custome applications, but never did any tire vendor make a really low profile tire for those wheels. So Dunlop made the 130/60/21 for Harley's BO. As stated by 24v you can use the other two sizes, but I would do my best to get the BO tire if possible. The 120/70/21 and 140/70/21 are pretty high profile for a 21 inch wheel inmo. Which is going to make you raise up your fender even higher. I couldn't do those tires even if I wanted to, because it would have caused my fender to hit the lower part of my springer bolts because my front end was lowered. Also, I think that most guys running the 140 are running fenderless due to the height and a lot of the guys running a 120/70/21 have a good fit, but when looking from front the tire is too skinny to fill in the fender. So the 120 puts it almost right back to a 21x2.15 set up and look. Which won't handle as solid as the 130 on the front for handling and not look as good either.

dlj,
http://www.bitterendchoppers.com/Wheels2.html

Here is a link for the place I ordered my bearing reducers from and some 3/4 spacer options. Since you are pressing your own bearings, I would just order separate parts instead of OEM spacer kit for wheel. The reason being is that when your press the reducer into the bearing your going to want the inner spacer in wheel to press and seat up against the reducer and they are wider than the 25mm bearings. Once finished you will want it to be a solid peace pressed together for the axle to slide into. So the inner spacer sleeve is just going to have to be cut to fit that reducer set up and the OEM inner spacer sleeve will more than likely not fit. I know you said you are doing yourself and not too big of a problem, but make sure you feel confident. If you press in bearing or spacer slightly angled you will blow out the bearings right away. I took to a machine shop that builds custom bikes and he knew exactly what to do and said it was a piece of cake. He did say to bring existing wheel (template) with bearings intact so that he would press everything in exactly like existing wheel so it will line up perfect, but I had already pulled my bearings on other wheel. So i recommend you to do that if you got an extra $50.00 and be done with it. It will also line up with your caliper exactly the same as your stock one does.

I hope I answered all questions and helped. In some ways its really basic and we over complicated a few things on the thread, but we had to since there are a few different questions and models and that's how to learn.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:57 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Great info rockinred. The only thing I have to add is that the difference between a 130/60 and a 120/70 isn't as great as most would believe. The height is 12mm's difference overall, which amounts to a 6mm taller sidewall. 6mm is just under 1/4". I doubt most people would ever even notice that. The width is 10mm narrower which is roughly 3/8". However, the choice for 120/70 tires is much greater than the single offering in a 130/60.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:15 AM
rockinred
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks 24v... I didn't know the exact difference on tires sizes. I do know the 120 has whitewall options for those and different brands.

Let me throw this link in for those that are debating different tires and fitment sizes. I threw in the measurement differences on what we were talking about.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...0r21-130-60r21

One last thing to know and maybe more for those going from a 16, 18, or 19 wheel to a 21.... as noted in the chart your odometer reading will go off when moving to a bigger tire size. just an fyi. Not really enough to worry about but as long as you know there is a slight variance when getting into the higher speeds.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:29 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Tire size is just a calculation. So for a 130/60/21... 130=tread width in mm, 60=ratio of sidewall to tread width in percentage, and 21 is wheel diameter in inches.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:01 AM
asputin
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate the look of the stock tires but since ive lowered my front fender im stuck with it till someone else makes the same size..

Quick Reply: Breakout front wheel 21" X 3.5" on 2008 Night Train