Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Oil Found...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:41 PM
One Vision
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Random Oil Found...

I have a little head scratcher of a happening, need some of your expert experience out there.

I bought a Slim in October and had only gotten about 300 or so miles on it. Its November in MN and it was time to put her to bed. The bike had sat for about a week and a half with out being turned on and the temp dropped to about 20 or so one day... not too bad. I fired it up and as I have noted with this particular bike, it doesnt want to shift into Neutral all to easily until its been warmed up, so I sat on it for about 4 min. then took a small short jaunt around the block getting into 2nd gear only, and as I rolled back to my garage I got to neutral and parked it so I could toss Stable in the tank.

As I got off I noted some wisps of liquid right at the tip of my seat and on the tank leather. I thought maybe my nose had run as I rode around the block and thought nothing of it.

I tossed in the Stable and turned her back on for about 10 min. or so, when I came back I noted a small amount of liquid on the seat again and a splatter on the oil reservoir. This was all on the Right side of the bike. I wiped my finger and it was very small amounts of oil.

I did a search all around the engine for any sort of leak or indication where the oil might have come from, but found everything sound and dry.

Any ideas where these little bits of oil may have come from?

Thanks

Old 11-26-2013, 05:08 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check the bottom of the air filter, could be from there, that could happen when its cold and low miles thick oil not warmed up ...not rolling is normal when the oil is on the clutch plates. Once you get some miles on it like 1k it will get better

Last edited by Blk and Chrome; 11-26-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:31 AM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 checking the A/C for oil blow by that is dripping back on right side. Also happens when you have a little too much oil in it.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Also a heads up, if you're going to ride it in the winter you really do need to ride it more than through 2nd gear. It needs to be rode until it gets up to normal operating conditions. Also a heads up since it sounds like you don't have a heated garage either. I have a oil filled radiant heater I bought from walmart. I set that at 55 and slip it under my bike cover and blankets when sitting for the winter. It keeps it warm and just as importantly dry from when it sweats out there from extreme weather changes.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:20 PM
One Vision
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Also a heads up, if you're going to ride it in the winter you really do need to ride it more than through 2nd gear. It needs to be rode until it gets up to normal operating conditions. Also a heads up since it sounds like you don't have a heated garage either. I have a oil filled radiant heater I bought from walmart. I set that at 55 and slip it under my bike cover and blankets when sitting for the winter. It keeps it warm and just as importantly dry from when it sweats out there from extreme weather changes.

Excellent advice! Thanks a ton. I DO think it was a litte blowback from the Air Filter. I wont be riding it until spring is here now, so no worries about cranking on it in the cold weather from here on out.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:35 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool Dude. It's OK to ride it just do it on a day when you can lay down at least 25. 30 good miles without freezing to death. Yes, I know, there are guys who ride year round. I'm no longer one of those guys. 25, 30 miles for me this time of year puts me in a bad way. I'll wait for spring.