Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extreme reduced reach handlebars 56102-99 for my Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 11:00 AM
kandkarma1964
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Extreme reduced reach handlebars 56102-99 for my Heritage

I have back troubles and I think that if I can get some more pullback where I can lean back comfortably against the backrest on my Saddlemen Explorer special seat that it would help me be more comfortable. I don't think I will need any wiring, cable, or brakeline changes unless I change the risers. I am 5'10" tall so I don't need that much pullback from the stock bars. I could use about 3" more. According to the parts book, the stock bars have 5" of pullback and the extreme reduced reach handlebars have 9.25" of pullback. My bike is a 2013 Softail Heritage Classic.

I wonder if anyone has installed the extreme reduced reach handlebars (56102-99) without changing the risers?

If so, did it give you the additional pullback you were looking for?

Did you have to change anything other than the bars, such as cables, lines, or wiring?

Are the bars comfortable height wise?

Thanks,

kandkarma

Old 11-26-2013, 11:33 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

What you could do is find a set of pullback risers from a Deluxe; those will bring the bars back a couple of inches, and then maybe roll your bars back some...

Attached Thumbnails Extreme reduced reach handlebars 56102-99 for my Heritage-100_1558.jpg  
Old 11-26-2013, 11:48 AM
kandkarma1964
Novice

I already bought the bars... they haven't arrived yet I just wondered if anyone else had tried them on a Heritage and what kind success they had with them and if there were any issues. I will keep the risers in mind.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 AM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll be surprised if you don't have to change out cables. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:00 PM
kandkarma1964
Novice

Originally Posted by XKnight
I'll be surprised if you don't have to change out cables. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
You may be right but I'm hoping I won't have to since I'm just changing the bars and not the risers.

I'll post how it goes when I get the bars. Mine do seem to have a fair amount of slack plus I talked to a couple of different Harley Dealers and they don't "think" I will have to change out the cables and get wiring extensions. We will see...

Old 11-27-2013, 08:18 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Right,, but Ur cables not go back that far.. brake line may be more issue than the others.??

Wondering? does U saddleman seat sit further away from Ur tank.

Another seat option may be the extended reach HD seat for Ur bike, Dont know if U've already check into it.. Think it pushes operator forward and down a couple in's. ??

Old 11-27-2013, 09:23 AM
kandkarma1964
Novice

Seats are expensive and I just bought one. I really wanted one with a driver's backrest and it was down to the Saddlemen or the Mustang... wish I'd went with the Mustand to be honest. The saddlemen is a bit hard. I feel it especially when I come to a stop and put my legs down. Feel the seat kind of diggin in right under my thighs at the edges on each side of the seat. It's not bad when I'm rolling but it is a pretty firm. I don't think the Saddlemen puts me back any further really but it doesn't put me any closer. I may end up buying just the wide solo mustang with the backrest and use that for riding alone and use the Saddlemen for two up rides.

As far as the cables going back that far, you may be right but these bars are narrower and lower which may compensate for the extended reach as far as the cable length. Of course this is all speculation... I'm a glass is half full kind of guy but we will see when the bars arrive.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:36 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

I agree, finding "THE" seat can be a pain in the A$$ in more ways than One...He,he.. I am glad the stock Heritage seat works great for me. most comfortable seat I've ever had.

If U look at a mustang, do some research as it seems I remember others saying it not only pushes U closer, but it sits a little Higher.. don't think U want that..

I shattered L3 yrs ago, but I thank God I don't have any issues with back pain

I've thought about getting a back rest but haven't. I do ride in a more straight-up position because I can hunch over very long. I am really comfortable putting my heels on the front outside edge of the Floor-B's and rest the middle of my foot on the HI-way pegs..

Seen other back rest for the stock seats, but they look lightweight or a little chingy to me.

I just looked up Ur seat, NICE, but I can see how U could be too far back when U lean into the BR..
Getting the ERGO of a bike to fit the owner can cost big$$$$. cant always but that's why I always advise others it better If the bike fit U first..

I don't see any way to move U seat forward without a complete make over.

Hate to say it but maybe some Ape's are in Ur future with Ur current set-up to get the ERGO's where U need them for comfort.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:41 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Not to go off track here but I want to throw this out there for nothing more than food for thought. I have TONS of issues, back, shoulder, tail bone, blah, blah, blah. I put 14", 1.5" Gangster apes on it this past spring to achieve a certain look but I thought I was really going to sacrifice comfort and wondered how it was going to make bad issues worse to get this look. To my surprise, not only did it come out better than I thought it would I now have no pain whatsoever. Had I known this I would have had apes long ago and many bikes ago too. I don't ever see myself running without them ever again.

As for the seat issue, I watched threads that dealt with seats for a very long time before I decided to just have my stock seat reworked, all 3 seats and both backrests. It scared me off seeing so many guys buying multiple seats trying to find something comfortable. This way I was able to get what I wanted the 1st time out of the gate. You can follow the progress and if you don't like it you can change it before it's done and shipped. I was able to use the material best suited for me and again, it worked out great for me and it was no more expensive than had I gone out and bought all these seats and backrests. I ride very comfortably now and totally pain free.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:31 AM
kandkarma1964
Novice

Originally Posted by kandkarma1964
I have back troubles and I think that if I can get some more pullback where I can lean back comfortably against the backrest on my Saddlemen Explorer special seat that it would help me be more comfortable. I don't think I will need any wiring, cable, or brakeline changes unless I change the risers. I am 5'10" tall so I don't need that much pullback from the stock bars. I could use about 3" more. According to the parts book, the stock bars have 5" of pullback and the extreme reduced reach handlebars have 9.25" of pullback. My bike is a 2013 Softail Heritage Classic.

I wonder if anyone has installed the extreme reduced reach handlebars (56102-99) without changing the risers?

If so, did it give you the additional pullback you were looking for?

Did you have to change anything other than the bars, such as cables, lines, or wiring?

Are the bars comfortable height wise?

Thanks,

kandkarma
The extreme pullback bars didn't work for me... they actually made it worse plus the stock cables would not fit properly with these bars. I ended up sending them back and bought a Mustang seat. I also got some pull back risers on ebay and that helped.

Quick Reply: Extreme reduced reach handlebars 56102-99 for my Heritage