Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A bunch of exhaust questions....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 01:03 PM
SeanG
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Default A bunch of exhaust questions....

Ive heard the best performing exhausts are the 2 into 1's. How much do you lose going from a stock system to a 2 into 2?

Also..is there a 2 into 2 that utilizes a hidden crossover?

Sound wise Ive been listening to a bunch of videos on youtube and its really hard to get a feel for the sound. What are your opinions for the best sounding setup..what I am looking for is a deep and loud rumble.

Anyone use or heard the Samson Extreme Zoomies? They look cool...but curious as to how they perform and sound.

Thanks for your time!

Sean

Old 12-08-2013, 05:02 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

You will lose a little going to a 2-2, I can't say how much. I'm running Longshots and like the sound and look so much I'm willing to take a little loss at least til I can save for some Big Shots Long which do have the crossover. The crossover won't completely make as much power as a true 2-1 but it will help. V&H, Freedom, and I think Samson make 2-2 with crossovers. Go to a bike night to get idea of what exhaust you're interested in sound like.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:14 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you just don't care for the look of the 2-1 then the V&H big shots will get you real close to the same performance and they look and sound great.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:05 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There are endless amounts of information concerning exhaust systems. Back Pressure, Scavenging, Exhaust Pulses, and many other terms are used to explain the physics related to expelling exhaust gasses from engines. At face value 2 into 1 systems normally produce the best performance however there can be so many variables to counter that statement.

When purchasing exhaust pipes, you should not think of them as an individual component but rather part of a system which includes the Air Intake, Internal Engine Components, and Tuning of the Fuel Management System. Riding style can also be a contributing factor.

-Vance and Hines produces several 2 into 2 systems with a crossover that increasing the scavenging of gasses which can help prevent loss of low end power.

-Forget making a decision concerning sound quality based on Youtube videos. The sound on the video is only as good as the recording equipment and environment.

A Low sound note is produced by the size and length of the pipe. Consider a pipe organ which has long, large diameter pipes that the air passes through producing the bass notes. Example: Vance and Hines Long Shots produce a lower note than the Vance and Hines Short Shorts. I personally like Loud pipes! Experience has taught me that running open pipes although Loud, can cause a loss in low end performance and produce a tinny sound. Vance and Hines Quit Baffles produce a deep sound but to quiet for my liking. Big City Thunder Baffles are my sweet spot. The right amount of Back Pressure, Tone Quality and Sound level.

If you're changing your exhaust, my recommendation is to plan an entire system. (1) A set of pipes which allows you to experiment with different baffles, (2) A quality Stage 1 intake system, and (3) A proper fuel management device.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:38 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanG;12068606

I've heard the best performing exhausts are the 2 into 1's. How much do you lose going from a stock system to a 2 into 2?

[B
What motor?? What Mods to it,?? What yr?? what Pipe?? it all makes a diff.
[/B]

Also..is there a 2 into 2 that utilizes a hidden crossover?

A bunch of them...

Sound wise Ive been listening to a bunch of videos on youtube and its really hard to get a feel for the sound. What are your opinions for the best sounding setup..what I am looking for is a deep and loud rumble.

SOUND is so personal... U HAVE to listen to all the Diff pipes to KNOW WHAT U LIKE simply cause I may like a totally diff sound than U do.
IT took me 6months to deciede for myself,, I can't pick out the ones U'll like

Anyone use or heard the Samson Extreme Zoomies? They look cool...but curious as to how they perform and sound.

Haven't heard of them.

Thanks for your time!
Sean

To be serious if I was you, and I was 7yrs ago, yuou need to do some research and spend some time at, Bike shows, Dealerships or some where that has a large group of bikes with all kinds of pipes to help U pick out what U like.

U Can't get the best sounding pipes if U want the best performing pipes.

U Cant get the best looking pipes if U want the best performing pipes..

U have to First decide "WHAT U want. Performance,, looks, Cost..

Last edited by oct1949; 12-08-2013 at 08:40 PM.