Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 05:40 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Oops! The Progressive website shows the Blackline (FXS), but:

1. Specifically says beside it "NOT Breakout"

2. Goes on to say on the next screen "no products for this model"

Jim G

Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Just because Progressive says it won't fit, or they don't know, does not mean it won't. Ask Vance and Hines how many of their Softail Exhausts work for the Breakout. They will likely tell you only 2. Yet I think I have pretty much seen every exhaust they offer for Softails on a Breakout at this point.
If you don't think the shocks will fit, buy something else. Apparently they don't want to sell them to you bad enough to figure it out anyways.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:34 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 24v
Just because Progressive says it won't fit, or they don't know, does not mean it won't.
. . .

If you don't think the shocks will fit, buy something else. Apparently they don't want to sell them to you bad enough to figure it out anyways.
That's truly the essence of the situation, 24V. Too bad.

Jim G

Old 08-29-2014, 11:33 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
There are 2 types of potential differences:

1. Dimensional: The Breakout uses a different frame than a standard Softail - some say it is identical or nearly identical to a Rocker, but HD says the Breakout is set up to handle more suspension movement upward, since it comes from the factory "lowered', and HD needed to make up some of that loss of suspension travel.

2. Spring rate: There are different versions of the 422 RAP with different spring rates for different combinations of weight of bike, rider, and other loads (passenger, luggage). For example, the Progressive rep told me that IF the Breakout had the same suspension dimensions as the standard Softail, and given my rider weight with safety gear of 235 lb, and given that I carry a passenger only very seldom, he said he would recommend the 422-4104C, which is the "standard" (less stiff) spring version. There is a 422-4102C (again this is for the standard Softail) that has a "heavy duty" (stiffer) spring. Yes, the preload is adjustable on the RAP but basic spring rate on the spring is a separate issue.

The Progressive sales rep refused to make a recommendation, since he has not had a Breakout in to examine and fit for both dimensional fit and for spring rate.

Jim G
I have no idea what all this discussion and in-depth analysis is aiming at???

I simply bought the standard 422-4037C and got them installed by my HD dealer w/o any issues. Others here w/ Breakouts had done the same before so I trusted them and gave it a shot.

As usual there are some people who talk about it and some who just do it...or as Confucius said: "Man who says it can not be done should not interrupt man who is doing it."

Old 08-30-2014, 05:09 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Geeez where's all the latest pics fellas? Drop by for a look and all I see is chit chat! Haha

Old 08-30-2014, 08:01 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by EagleRay
I have no idea what all this discussion and in-depth analysis is aiming at???

I simply bought the standard 422-4037C and got them installed by my HD dealer w/o any issues. Others here w/ Breakouts had done the same before so I trusted them and gave it a shot.

As usual there are some people who talk about it and some who just do it...or as Confucius said: "Man who says it can not be done should not interrupt man who is doing it."
Jim is an engineer, so he can't help it. He's an overthinker. He means well though.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:31 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 24v
Jim is an engineer, so he can't help it. He's an overthinker. He means well though.
I am a mechanical engineer myself. Until today I thought that's the reason why I just do things once I found empiric evidence for a working solution to a problem...maybe I just have to think it over and over and over and......... But you are right. This "overthinking" has brought up some interresting findings already.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:28 PM
jd_cincy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
I have a power vision on mine. The dealer tuned it for me and it feels and sounds pretty spit on. I need to actually plug it into the bike and play around with it though
Does the power vision require it to be mounted somewhere externally on the bike? Where do you put yours?

Old 08-31-2014, 01:29 AM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jd_cincy
Does the power vision require it to be mounted somewhere externally on the bike? Where do you put yours?
The PV comes with a handle bar clamp. However, it does not need to be plugged into the bike permanently if you are just downloading a new tune to the bikes engine management computer. That just takes a couple of minutes....

...plug the PV into your computer via a USB cable...

...download a new tune program from Dynojet or whomever (I got my PV from Fuel Moto. They sent it with a custom tune program for my bike loaded into it already)...

...plug the PV into your bike and switch the bike on...

...download the new tune to your bike...

...unplug the PV and put it back in your tool box...

Done! Easiest thing ever.

The PV can do more than just re-flash the bike's computer though. If you want to make use of it's other features you'll need to mount it to your bars and route the cable to the bike's diagnostic plug. The PV is much smaller than I expected.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:16 AM
paulmj
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I ordered my 2015 Breakout yesterday. Very excited. I'm not taking delivery until March though as the UK winter (which isn't far away now) is no good for riding a nice bike - unless you enjoy salt corrosion... I went for black (although the Radioactive Green did cross my mind) with a Heavy Breather, Stage 1 and Short Shots. I also added a set of pegs and grips, tinted indicator lenses and the tacho/digi speedo. I didn't, however, go for the Daymaker (as planned) as the brochure says that the bike comes with an LED headlight for 2015. I thought I'd see what it is like first. While I was there I ordered a Victory Lane jacket and a set of Rokker kevlar jeans and a pair of Rokker books. It you haven't seen the Rokker range, it's cracking quality. I still need to think about replacement mirrors and a swing arm bag. I'll get to those over the next couple of months....

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread