Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 12:45 PM
tr4sh
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice

have you the OEM curved risers ?
does the tank hit the speedo ?

I'd like to add a tank lift, but I have the CVO straight risers, and there is not enough space between the tank and the speedo

Old 10-30-2014, 05:10 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by tr4sh
nice

have you the OEM curved risers ?
does the tank hit the speedo ?

I'd like to add a tank lift, but I have the CVO straight risers, and there is not enough space between the tank and the speedo
He also has the CVO risers, but he installed angled bushings that angle the risers forward more IIRC.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:22 PM
eddiepoindexter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 24v
Not as well as I had hoped. It is starting to change right near the heads.
24v, Been reading posts from Joe at The Powder Pro about how the normal powder is good for 550° to 600° and it's never a problem on shields. Unless the tune is way off. Read enough of your posts to believe your tune is not way off. What did your coater have to say about it? Have any pictures of the discoloration? Would really like to do my shields gloss black but don't want to have to do it every year.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:04 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Joe is the only powder coater I have seen that claims regular powder is good for shields and that high of a temperature.
I do not have any pics of mine because it is not discoloring per say. It just gets a little more flat, kind of like satin black. It is not easily noticeable unless it is pointed out.

I guess you could send your shields to him and hope for the best.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:51 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by 24v
He also has the CVO risers, but he installed angled bushings that angle the risers forward more IIRC.
Yep, that is correct:

Here you see the 10 degree bushings under the short straight risers and get a good idea as to the clearance between the tank and speedo. Be aware though that this picture was taken before the lift was completed. After the lift there is a gap of about 5/8 of an inch between the speedo and the tank at their closest point when the bars/forks are pointing straight forward. IMHO, this gives the best looking result but there are guys who have simply reversed the stock risers so that they angle forward instead of rearward. That method permitted the 3" tank lift with clearance for the speedo but the end result looks quit different from what you see in my pics. My method hides the hole created between the gas tank channel and back bone, when you do a lift, quite well. With the other method the hole is more obvious and some guys find the look unappealing. You should also know that on a Breakout a tank lift of over 1.5" will require:

1. Swapping out the gas tank crossover hose for a longer one.
2. Rerouting the vent hose from under its forward tie down point on the back bone.
3. Removal of the rubber lining in the tank channel (a bit of careful cutting is required.).

These mods are apparently not necessary on all Softail models but they definitely are on the Breakout. DK custom wisely suggests a "trial lift" of the tank before you order parts and attempt the work but that, for the Breakout, is complicated owing to the crossover issue. You can't lift the tank 3" without extending or severing the crossover and if you are going to use bars other than apes like I have, you'll want to confirm your bars don't contact the gas tank after the lift when turned from lock to lock.

Last edited by HKMark23; 10-31-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:01 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Post Lift Pic:

Old 10-31-2014, 03:15 AM
tr4sh
Novice

Thank you for all details !

Old 10-31-2014, 01:06 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Yep, that is correct:

Here you see the 10 degree bushings under the short straight risers and get a good idea as to the clearance between the tank and speedo. Be aware though that this picture was taken before the lift was completed. After the lift there is a gap of about 5/8 of an inch between the speedo and the tank at their closest point when the bars/forks are pointing straight forward. IMHO, this gives the best looking result but there are guys who have simply reversed the stock risers so that they angle forward instead of rearward. That method permitted the 3" tank lift with clearance for the speedo but the end result looks quit different from what you see in my pics. My method hides the hole created between the gas tank channel and back bone, when you do a lift, quite well. With the other method the hole is more obvious and some guys find the look unappealing. You should also know that on a Breakout a tank lift of over 1.5" will require:

1. Swapping out the gas tank crossover hose for a longer one.
2. Rerouting the vent hose from under its forward tie down point on the back bone.
3. Removal of the rubber lining in the tank channel (a bit of careful cutting is required.).

These mods are apparently not necessary on all Softail models but they definitely are on the Breakout. DK custom wisely suggests a "trial lift" of the tank before you order parts and attempt the work but that, for the Breakout, is complicated owing to the crossover issue. You can't lift the tank 3" without extending or severing the crossover and if you are going to use bars other than apes like I have, you'll want to confirm your bars don't contact the gas tank after the lift when turned from lock to lock.
Where did you get those 10 deg angled bushings. Do you have a p/n?

Old 10-31-2014, 03:11 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by EagleRay
Where did you get those 10 deg angled bushings. Do you have a p/n?
Here is what you are after:

Amazon.com: LA Choppers Angled Riser Bushing Kit - 10 Deg. - Chrome LA-7400-10: Automotive Amazon.com: LA Choppers Angled Riser Bushing Kit - 10 Deg. - Chrome LA-7400-10: Automotive

Note the model number for the 10 degree bushings, which are what you'll need. LA Choppers also makes these in 5 degree and zero degree.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:55 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
Not ******* on your ride furry but IMO those bars just don't look right on that bike.
Hey, that's ok with me. Everyone's got their own idea as to what the perfect bike would be for them.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread