Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 09:54 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

I'd tend to listen to Scott - he knows his stuff. if you are going to do a 124 or something like that then yeh that's a lot of cubic inches and a cooler could be needed. that's one of the reasons I didn't go bigger than the built 107 on my big dog. IMO it's hard to beat a jagg 10-row cooler with a fan mounted to it, but they are fugly. Do you plan to do a lot of "parade" cruising or sitting in traffic for long periods? that is the only place where massive surface area will help- and I can see why the bud cooler would work in that regard. true, typically you need air over the fins on an oil cooler for it to work. large surface are will also transfer heat away. but a polished surface is way less effective at static heat transfer.

Why not keep your build to a point where you don't need to add things like an oil cooler? there's lots of guys running really strong 103 and 107 kits and no need for a cooler. doing something like a 30T front pulley swap will do the same thing as adding more cubic inches- e.g. your bike will be a helluvalot faster and torquier but again no need for a cooler. A 700lb HD putting down a solid 115hp/120TQ, cammed for best TQ from 2000-5000 rpm, with a final drive ratio in the low to mid 3's is a wickedly fun ride by any standards. and it's typically quite reliable too.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 05-31-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:09 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

I have the largest available Jagg oil cooler installed on my Breakout, on the left side downtime above the shifter, and it REALLY WORKS.

Before the cooler, I would get oil temperatures as high as 250 degrees on a Texas summer day, just normal riding, NOT hotdogging.

Since installing the cooler, the highest I have EVER seen was 220, and the "normal" is 190 to 210, depending on ambient outside temperature.

Just saying' . . .

Sorry, I don't have a handy photo.

Jim G

Old 05-31-2015, 12:56 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have the grenade coil and ignition removed and willing to part with it? It does not have to be in working order.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:12 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I have the largest available Jagg oil cooler installed on my Breakout, on the left side downtime above the shifter, and it REALLY WORKS.

Before the cooler, I would get oil temperatures as high as 250 degrees on a Texas summer day, just normal riding, NOT hotdogging.

Since installing the cooler, the highest I have EVER seen was 220, and the "normal" is 190 to 210, depending on ambient outside temperature.

Just saying' . . .

Sorry, I don't have a handy photo.

Jim G

Yep that is the best setup as far as functionality.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:17 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Pigbacon
Does anyone have the grenade coil and ignition removed and willing to part with it? It does not have to be in working order.
What are you up too now? Hahaha

Old 05-31-2015, 08:23 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cdonis
What are you up too now? Hahaha
Wanting to send one to my fabricator and have a cover made.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:25 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pigbacon
Wanting to send one to my fabricator and have a cover made.
say whuut?? you know you're gonna share right? Do you have a sketch up of the custom cover? hate the hand grenade.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:35 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
say whuut?? you know you're gonna share right? Do you have a sketch up of the custom cover? hate the hand grenade.
No I was gonna send the coil to him and see what he says. He asked me if I wanted it to look like a hand grenade and I told him no.

Another friend of mine is wanting to see if he can do one with the Willie G skull in black and chrome.

I remember someone on here changing the coil for the Accel packs but I can't find the post to ask if he would get rid of the coil. If not I will get a new one and send it to him.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:47 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

cool- keep us posted we need some good alternative options. actually a well done grenade might look cool, especially with a hanging pin. chrome, black chrome, titanium or satin black.

the accel packs do get rid of the grenade but now you gotta figure out what to do with the ignition switch. and if you get rid of the grenade coil and the OE plug wires your ion knock sensing is no longer going to work properly. IMO best option is to have a nicer cover for it.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:22 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
cool- keep us posted we need some good alternative options. actually a well done grenade might look cool, especially with a hanging pin. chrome, black chrome, titanium or satin black.

the accel packs do get rid of the grenade but now you gotta figure out what to do with the ignition switch. and if you get rid of the grenade coil and the OE plug wires your ion knock sensing is no longer going to work properly. IMO best option is to have a nicer cover for it.
Are you saying that because I changed my plug wires to Magnum Chromite that the spark sensor doesn't function properly?

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread