Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:37 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Sure, those are all legit reasons. HD put the hydraulic clutches on the touring bikes (except road kings) due to the heavier clutch spring. the non-touring bikes seem to be pretty easy to pull the clutch with the stock spring. Me personally I like the feel of the cable clutch, and future maintenance is cheaper (buying a cable vs rebuilding master and slave cylinder components). plus I hate the added reservoir on the bars.

That said all you need is the clutch master cylinder and the clutch slave cylinder, and the hydraulic line. the slave cylinder (actuator) would replace the cable operated component. You should not need to mess with anything else. [EDIT] 24V would know more since he looked into doing this..

Call Performance Machine or Hawg Halters. IIRC they both make complete conversion kits with hand control, master cylinder and slave cylinder actuator for current model HD's. I would not buy the HD parts unless you are sure they are the updated, non-recall parts. HD had some issues / recalls with the hydraulic clutch components in 2013 / 2014. I don;t know which parts specifically you'll have to Google.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:53 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

so i see there is an added issue with the newer six speed, and needing to change additional internals. this hydraulic slave kit from Joker Machine supposedly works and does not require changing things on the clutch side. You'll have to investigate-
http://jokermachine.com/products/jx-...actuators.html - if it works then all you need is the line and hand control.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:36 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
hmm- that's good insight, makes sense. i take it you changed your mind though?
Yes I did because it was more work than it was worth to me. Not to mention a single throttle cable doesn't appeal to me.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:48 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

24v do you have contact with jweinsteiger? Ive got some questions about the wide glide tubes on the Breakout.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:01 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Pigbacon
24v do you have contact with jweinsteiger? Ive got some questions about the wide glide tubes on the Breakout.
https://www.facebook.com/joe.weinsteiger?fref=ts

Old 07-09-2015, 05:30 PM
Pigbacon
Road Captain

Thanks

Old 07-09-2015, 09:35 PM
Cumminspwrd
Intermediate

I'm sure this has been covered plenty of times, but what's everyone using to cover the rear fender hole with running a solo seat, maybe a painted plug to match your color would be best? Thanks in advance.

Unrelated but anyone know why my profile pic won't come up with my name??

Old 07-10-2015, 04:43 AM
Fast-eddie
1st Gear
Default Few Pics of my new mods

Someone was looking for pics with the reduced reach bars. Should be noted that all my cables had to be changed for the bars.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:04 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast-eddie

Someone was looking for pics with the reduced reach bars. Should be noted that all my cables had to be changed for the bars.
It's FAR easier to modify or replace the SEAT for a more forward riding position than it is to change the bars and cables.

Plus, moving the sitting position forward helps improve the forward to rearward weight distribution. Stock, the Breakout is VERY tail heavy. I had Micah Shoemaker at AF1 Racing weigh my Breakout on his race scales, and the weight distribution, with a full tank of gas even (which shifts it forward notably), was:

Front 325 lb

Rear 411 lb

When the rider gets on the bike, it becomes even more skewed to the rear, as the sitting position is far closer to the rear axle than to the front.

Jim G

Old 07-10-2015, 09:10 AM
zz2h33
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Is anyone running the reduced reach seat? If so how comfortable is it

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread