Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 07:54 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Do not.....I repeat....do not listen to Dog... He will have you in the doghouse, spending way to much money on mods. Lmao, guys like 24v, Dog, raza, and a few others know these breakouts well. Lots of help too.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:58 PM
the_enforcer
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the comments about the guards guys. I think I'll leave them off. My wife doesn't usually wear anything that is to loose fitting anyways
I'll just make sure she knows the dress attire. She really don't ride very often, plus dog made a good point of the swing arm bag covering most of it anyways.

One more thing. Got my wheels on but having a dumb moment right now so I apologize in advance. I'm working on getting my rear axle/drive belt lined up correctly and proper tension. Do I leave the bike up on the jack or does it need to be on the kick stand? Axle is in and the nut is just hand tight ready for adjustment. Manual isn't clear when replacing the wheel of how to properly do it. Just want to make sure I do it correct and not mess anything up.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:04 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by the_enforcer
Thanks for the comments about the guards guys. I think I'll leave them off. My wife doesn't usually wear anything that is to loose fitting anyways
I'll just make sure she knows the dress attire. She really don't ride very often, plus dog made a good point of the swing arm bag covering most of it anyways.

One more thing. Got my wheels on but having a dumb moment right now so I apologize in advance. I'm working on getting my rear axle/drive belt lined up correctly and proper tension. Do I leave the bike up on the jack or does it need to be on the kick stand? Axle is in and the nut is just hand tight ready for adjustment. Manual isn't clear when replacing the wheel of how to properly do it. Just want to make sure I do it correct and not mess anything up.
there are two methods but the "on center jack stand" is the easiest DIY method. leave bike level on jack rear wheel off ground. adjust belt tension per the service manual for the center stand method, and then, adjust the wheel alignment. re-check the belt tension. when you are done adjusting everything then lower jack enough so wheel touches pavement and tighten axle nut a bit. lower bike enough so it feels solid on ground and torque the axle bolt to final spec

Old 05-05-2016, 08:11 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cdonis
Do not.....I repeat....do not listen to Dog... He will have you in the doghouse, spending way to much money on mods. Lmao, guys like 24v, Dog, raza, and a few others know these breakouts well. Lots of help too.
Yeh it's called PAYBACK for all the money you guys here longer than me coerced me to spend .

**I will continue to be a bad influence to all new Breakout owners LOL!!**

Old 05-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Yeh it's called PAYBACK for all the money you guys here longer than me coerced me to spend .

Your bad influence stretches way beyond just the BO...My Rocker's got a few Dog-Mods!!! LOL

Old 05-05-2016, 09:07 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

^ Thanks- good to know I'm being efficient as well

But hell you fully got your own game with mods brother, much respect.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:29 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

You are a bad influence for sure... In the best way possible. By the way you are not the only one, there are others like you out there. I am shocked you do not do this kind of stuff for a living. I would pay you to do this stuff for me (I have no mechanical ability). I find myself checking for updates while at work just to see what is going on.... Ya, I know weird. What can I say, love my Harley Breakout, really fun to ride.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:49 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Eh, not any weirder than the rest of us- To me this is only fun as a hobby, I couldn't do it in any type of paid manner.

The reality of it is, I have to do it myself because all the shops around here are f*cktards. Most won't even touch a non-CARB/EPA compliant performance upgrade, those that will it's cash under the table and a bend-ya-over price. I've tried to have shops work on my bikes and they always f*cked things up.
I brought my Big Dog evo in to a supposed, highly reputable dyno tuning shop once and when I came to pick up my bike it was pissing oil out the bottom cylinder gaskets. ******** didn't warm up the bike before wringing on it. I mean really, how stupid do you have to be as a proclaimed seasoned Harley mechanic/tuner, to do that? and not even say anything about it like I'm not going to notice. they didn't even wipe the oil off. And they billed me $550 for the supposed dyno tuning time, but could not even give me a dyno printout. didn't pay of course. decided then it was time to rip motor apart and bad-*** it out. only thing I used shops for was machine work.

I let another place do an Evo cam install for me. guess what. they did not clearance the cam end play properly, it was too tight in the cam chest, ate both the nose cone bushing and also the inner thrust washer within 50 miles. that and they adjusted the push rods too tight and was holding the exhaust valves slightly open. Got my money back and fixed it myself. And these were supposedly very reputable places I went to with hefty hourly rates to match.
The only thing we got left in So Cal are dealerships for decent warranty work and run of the mill stuff, and jackass indys. All of the talent left the state or retired.

oh wait here's one more good one- not too long ago I thought I found a good small indy near me. seemed like a sharp dude and one man show, small nice shop, really nice custom chopper as his own bike. I was gonna have him do some carb tuning on the Big Dog and also give it once over with compression / leakdown to see how it's holding up. I sent him an email with the build specs on the motor and my ignition type, things like that. a day before I'm gonna bring it over to him he leaves me a voice mail saying my bike is too complicated and he does not understand some of the parts and build, so can't work on it. It's a damn Evo with a carb for Christ's sake. So whatever, tuned it myself. Doing another tune on it this weekend for summer fueling. That's what I'm up against folks and now ya know why I'm so "DIY"- some of you in other parts of the US have much better local resources.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 05-06-2016 at 01:59 AM. Reason: more shit.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:43 AM
Lindosan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eh, not any weirder than the rest of us- To me this is only fun as a hobby, I couldn't do it in any type of paid manner.

The reality of it is, I have to do it myself because all the shops around here are f*cktards. Most won't even touch a non-CARB/EPA compliant performance upgrade, those that will it's cash under the table and a bend-ya-over price. I've tried to have shops work on my bikes and they always f*cked things up.
I brought my Big Dog evo in to a supposed, highly reputable dyno tuning shop once and when I came to pick up my bike it was pissing oil out the bottom cylinder gaskets. ******** didn't warm up the bike before wringing on it. I mean really, how stupid do you have to be as a proclaimed seasoned Harley mechanic/tuner, to do that? and not even say anything about it like I'm not going to notice. they didn't even wipe the oil off. And they billed me $550 for the supposed dyno tuning time, but could not even give me a dyno printout. didn't pay of course. decided then it was time to rip motor apart and bad-*** it out. only thing I used shops for was machine work.

I let another place do an Evo cam install for me. guess what. they did not clearance the cam end play properly, it was too tight in the cam chest, ate both the nose cone bushing and also the inner thrust washer within 50 miles. that and they adjusted the push rods too tight and was holding the exhaust valves slightly open. Got my money back and fixed it myself. And these were supposedly very reputable places I went to with hefty hourly rates to match.
The only thing we got left in So Cal are dealerships for decent warranty work and run of the mill stuff, and jackass indys. All of the talent left the state or retired.

oh wait here's one more good one- not too long ago I thought I found a good small indy near me. seemed like a sharp dude and one man show, small nice shop, really nice custom chopper as his own bike. I was gonna have him do some carb tuning on the Big Dog and also give it once over with compression / leakdown to see how it's holding up. I sent him an email with the build specs on the motor and my ignition type, things like that. a day before I'm gonna bring it over to him he leaves me a voice mail saying my bike is too complicated and he does not understand some of the parts and build, so can't work on it. It's a damn Evo with a carb for Christ's sake. So whatever, tuned it myself. Doing another tune on it this weekend for summer fueling. That's what I'm up against folks and now ya know why I'm so "DIY"- some of you in other parts of the US have much better local resources.
Oh yeah let it out my friend !

Old 05-06-2016, 05:50 AM
Lindosan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Btw I'll send my bike to you for the next upgrade ! oh what about maintainance ? Will you pop by once a month ? Don't worry free beers !

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread