Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:18 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunter5179

I like mine
Wow. That bike is awesome. My Breakout has a ton of chrome (which I like) but that blacked out bike is very very nice. Ride safe.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:09 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by blacklander48
that is a unique looking one. do you feel any improvement when on highway?
Yes, I have the same fairing. No wind blast to the chest and face.

The following users liked this post:
blacklander48 (07-27-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 09:50 PM
riknbeth
Road Master

Originally Posted by 24v
I never said the 250 Dunlop was better at anything than your tire. Go back and re read what I said. I'm not trying to make the absolute best handling bike. I completely understand how removing unsprung weight can help. The point is, this isn't a sport bike, it is a cruiser. If I want something that handles well I will ride my other bike. If I want to ride a badass cruiser I will ride my Breakout.

As for air pressure, you're preaching to the choir. I have been telling people to run less pressure in the back tire for quite a while now.
OK guys somewhere back in time I said I was moving to either the Metzeler 260 or the Dunlop elite 3 250 after I get get done with the stock 240 (I did the stock tire twice). Neither the Metzeler or the Dunlop have negative comments in general other than personal preference so I chose the Dunlop elite 3 after talking to my local Indie. Somewhere in these 1,000's of posts someone said the handling was better (just back tire change only). Well i got on today and left the Indie shop and the freaking bike turned on a dime. Way...... better than stock. So the comment was correct (I did not believe it at first). Why the Harley version of the Dunlop and the Elite 3 Dunlop are so different I have no idea, but man what a great ride home. Fun! I know folks (at least some folks) are freaked out about clearances and such going a little wider, but the Indie said it was tight but OK. This Indie is a master and a real detail freak. Good guy. By the way it was $200 cheaper to have this done at this Indie vs. the dealer. Have nothing against my dealer very good guys but their fixed costs are way higher than the Indie. I am no expert on anything so thanks to all of you for the advice and help. Love my Breakout, kick *** bike in my humble opinion.

Tried a feeble attempt at adding some pics as I know guys want to see OEM vs. an E3. Pics do not do it justice. Obviously the E3 is wider. Same manufacturer so you would assume when they measure "250" and "240" it is the same methodology. But in person the 250 looks much beefier and the profile is way different. Maybe the reason for the better cornering? Yep, I don't know much but I ride every single day...

Attached Thumbnails The Everything Breakout Thread-tire-oem.jpg   The Everything Breakout Thread-tire-e3.jpg  

Last edited by riknbeth; 07-30-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 07-29-2016, 10:19 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

[QUOTE=riknbeth;15369112]OK guys somewhere back in time I said I was moving to either the Metzeler 260 or the Dunlop elite 3 250 after I get get done with the stock 240 (I did the stock tire twice)....so I chose the Dunlop elite 3 after talking to my local Indie. Somewhere in these 1,000's of posts someone said the handling was better (just back tire change only). Well i got on today and left the Indie shop and the freaking bike turned on a dime. Way...... better than stock... [QUOTE]

If you think upgrading the rear tire made a difference, wait 'till you put the Elite 3 on the front...

Old 07-29-2016, 10:46 PM
riknbeth
Road Master

[QUOTE=NSR;15369204][QUOTE=riknbeth;15369112]OK guys somewhere back in time I said I was moving to either the Metzeler 260 or the Dunlop elite 3 250 after I get get done with the stock 240 (I did the stock tire twice)....so I chose the Dunlop elite 3 after talking to my local Indie. Somewhere in these 1,000's of posts someone said the handling was better (just back tire change only). Well i got on today and left the Indie shop and the freaking bike turned on a dime. Way...... better than stock...

If you think upgrading the rear tire made a difference, wait 'till you put the Elite 3 on the front...
I believe you. Should get at least another 10K on the stock OEM tire. Too cheap to switch before.....

Old 07-30-2016, 12:29 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by riknbeth
OK guys somewhere back in time I said I was moving to either the Metzeler 260 or the Dunlop elite 3 250 after I get get done with the stock 240 (I did the stock tire twice). Neither the Metzeler or the Dunlop have negative comments in general other than personal preference so I chose the Dunlop elite 3 after talking to my local Indie. Somewhere in these 1,000's of posts someone said the handling was better (just back tire change only). Well i got on today and left the Indie shop and the freaking bike turned on a dime. Way...... better than stock. So the comment was correct (I did not believe it at first). Why the Harley version of the Dunlop and the Elite 3 Dunlop are so different I have no idea, but man what a great ride home. Fun! I know folks (at least some folks) are freaked out about clearances and such going a little wider, but the Indie said it was tight but OK. This Indie is a master and a real detail freak. Good guy. By the way it was $200 cheaper to have this done at this Indie vs. the dealer. Have nothing against my dealer very good guys but their fixed costs are way higher than the Indie. I am no expert on anything so thanks to all of you for the advice and help. Love my Breakout, kick *** bike in my humble opinion.
X2 ! Uncanny, almost word for word and my E3 front is still in the box, in my garage, pending more wear on my OEM tire. I run 37 psi (cold) in the E3 rear.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:00 AM
96slowbra
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just swapped to the E3 in the rear after almost 4000 miles on the stocker. There was still a little left, but I'm riding to Sturgis in just over a week. Don't want to chance a worn out tire, especially 2 up.
I hear of a lot of people running different tire pressures than 36/42 as recommended. Riding 2 up at least half the time, and with an E3 out back, what pressures?? Most people that talk about running less pressure don't mention 2 up or single.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:27 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 96slowbra
I just swapped to the E3 in the rear after almost 4000 miles on the stocker. There was still a little left, but I'm riding to Sturgis in just over a week. Don't want to chance a worn out tire, especially 2 up.
I hear of a lot of people running different tire pressures than 36/42 as recommended. Riding 2 up at least half the time, and with an E3 out back, what pressures?? Most people that talk about running less pressure don't mention 2 up or single.
37 is probably good with 2 up. I run low 30s on the e3 and I ride solo 90% of the time.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:54 PM
riknbeth
Road Master

Originally Posted by 96slowbra
Have fun at Sturgis. Maybe someone should start a thread of Breakout pictures from Sturgis. Seems like all there is in Sturgis is Baggers (no offense).

Old 07-30-2016, 04:22 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by riknbeth
Have fun at Sturgis. Maybe someone should start a thread of Breakout pictures from Sturgis. Seems like all there is in Sturgis is Baggers (no offense).
I plan on going within the next few years on my Breakout. I'll definitely have a crap ton of pics!

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread