Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 03:47 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by wedgemoose
Loctite on the barrel!!! Good idea. Never even thought of that. Drops on each side sounds perfect. Because I never want to touch or PAY for that thing again. Except when turning it on & off.
Technically, you can have the ignition come on just like the CVO with the run switch. Dealer can flash the ECM for it. Then you could just lock the barrel and never worry about it again.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:16 PM
dabomb6608
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NSR
You mean the LEVER is tight on the barrel of the switch, right?

...but the switch itself is loose in the bracket/grenade?

If that's the case, it sounds like the goofy, tamper resistant castle nut that holds the switch into the bracket is a little loose. Harley sells the correct spanner socket for it. On the other hand, wedgemoose says he just did it with the old "Opened Jaws, Tips of Needle Nose Pliers Trick". That's certainly cheaper.

I bought the special socket from H-D...I think it was 20~25 bucks.

I figured that if I sprung for that Odd-Ball, Tri-Wing, Super Special Socket, I'd NEVER have to use it again, HAHAHAHA!!!!
Yeah the switch itself is loose in the bracket/grenade. Confirmed that with removing the lever and still being able to wiggle the switch. Got a part number for that socket? No luck searching ebay.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:52 AM
DynaDrew
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have pictures of Ride Wright spoke wheels on their Breakouts?

Old 03-27-2017, 12:25 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dabomb6608
...Got a part number for that socket? No luck searching ebay.
Damn, just saw this. I forget how I found this socket. I'll dig it out of my toolbox tonight after work - there's sure to be a part number on it.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:04 PM
WRMorrison
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WRMorrison
Well, I ordered the Kuryakyn bag and 4 clamps from BoardTracker ($202 shipped); looks like this project is a go!

Once it all gets here, it shouldn't take long to whip-up a design for the hardware. I'll likely make a few extra sets of the side plates (probably aluminum for weight savings), cross bars (aluminum tubing) and hollow, tamper-resistant bolts.
Clamps arrived last week (they fit perfectly), but the Kuryakyn bag was back-ordered at the time. It's on the way now, and I'll be drawing up the design for the side plates as soon as it arrives.

On a side note, does anyone know where I can find some stainless (300-series preferably) 5/16-24 x 3/4" tamper-proof button head cap screws? All the usual places I source hardware only have the tamper-proof stuff in 18TPI. I don't need 3000 of them either; about 50-100 would be fine.

-WRM

Old 03-27-2017, 02:09 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by WRMorrison

. . .

On a side note, does anyone know where I can find some stainless (300-series preferably) 5/16-24 x 3/4" tamper-proof button head cap screws? All the usual places I source hardware only have the tamper-proof stuff in 18TPI. I don't need 3000 of them either; about 50-100 would be fine.

-WRM
I have since moved to Canada, so lost the address, but when I was in The U.S., I simply googled "hardware" or "nuts and bolts" and found a couple of online vendors that had EVERYTHING, shipped quickly, and would sell quantities of even just 1 piece if you were willing to pay a reasonable shipping fee.

Jim G

Old 03-27-2017, 08:27 PM
NSR
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dabomb6608
Got a part number for that socket? No luck searching ebay.
I didn't buy this online - got it from the dealer's parts counter.

The part number is HD-50988.

I just tried finding it online ... no dice.

The following users liked this post:
dabomb6608 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:02 PM
jsmith800
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Handlebar Mount Auxiliary Power on a Breakout

I'd like to mount an auxiliary plug to the handlebars and place another in the saddlebag. Is this something I can do just by purchasing part HD part #69200970 or is this something i should have the dealership install? I could not find any detailed posts discussing this on a Breakout. The directions say the tank must come off?

Old 03-28-2017, 04:05 PM
NSR
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jsmith800
I'd like to mount an auxiliary plug to the handlebars and place another in the saddlebag. Is this something I can do just by purchasing part HD part #69200970 or is this something i should have the dealership install? I could not find any detailed posts discussing this on a Breakout. The directions say the tank must come off?
Yikes ... waddya want that thing for?? Too much clutter.

What are you trying to power up? Just your phone? There are cleaner ways to do that

Old 03-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Birdicus7
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, new to the forum but I have taken the time over several weeks to read all the posts here. I bought a 2015 Breakout in August 2016 and I love it. That being said I have a couple questions for the long time members and tech guru's here. I am planning on installing a set of Vance and Hines Big Shot Staggered pipes and. DJ Power Vision tuner. I know about Nostradamus' info on his install using V&H part 17933. Unfortunately that part number is no longer available and they are using a universal fit # of 17939. When I called Fuel Moto today I wanted to be sure I could get a good map for the Power Vision, since the manufacturer says these pipes do not fit the breakout. The tech went on to say that they won't even order pipes for me if the manufacturer says they don't fit my model.
So here's the big question...if I order a set of pipes for a 2016 Softail Fatboy and a Power Vision for the same bike will I be ok with mapping or should I order my pipes and tuner separately and get the tuner mapped for the breakout?

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread