Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 10:06 AM
jweinsteiger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostradamus74
Still studying this setup, but I guess it'll be worth doing. For me it's gonna be a little bit more complicated since I'll have to find a chrome left front caliper already chrome plated (or a stock one to have chromed) since I'm having chrome nearly everywhere on my BO.
For the technical point of view it'll be helpful to have the opinion of someone more prepared than me (e.g. 24V) who can say something more on this setup and if there'll be any issue with ABS (I guess not)
Btw, a few days ago I bought the 25mm front flush mount axle too!
Yep I love the look of the 25mm front flush mount axle too... looks like we need to start cross referencing with Facebook here...................

Last edited by jweinsteiger; 05-04-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:09 AM
jweinsteiger
Cruiser

Thanks mate, me too!
I think this time I'll give it a shot on the Touring front caliper. I only need to find the correct one already chromed or find a stock one to have it chromed. I guess it'll be a later addition after all the other parts.
Keep us updated on how that works I am very interested in this upgrade and having a NON ABS bike it should be a breeze I am guessing just caliper and pads...

Old 05-02-2014, 10:48 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks mate, me too!
I think this time I'll give it a shot on the Touring front caliper. I only need to find the correct one already chromed or find a stock one to have it chromed. I guess it'll be a later addition after all the other parts.
I for my part would guess that the ABS would need to be recalibrated to efficiently work along with the other caliper. I can't imagine changing the braking characteristics significantly like with a more effective caliper would not affect the ABS.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:33 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by EagleRay
I for my part would guess that the ABS would need to be recalibrated to efficiently work along with the other caliper. I can't imagine changing the braking characteristics significantly like with a more effective caliper would not affect the ABS.
I think it depends on how the ABS system installed on the Breakout actually work.

IF the ABS is "simple" and activates when EITHER wheel starts to lock up, there is going to be a problem: The front brake will now be able to apply way more braking, making the "performance gap" between the front brake and the rear brake even larger than it already is. The problem is that the rear brake ALREADY will lock up the rear wheel long before the front brake locks the front brake up, because of the severe weight transfer that occurs when you brake a bike hard enough to activate ABS. So, even with a "better" brake on the front, the ABS would activate, and the new "extra" braking power on the front brake would not actually ever be fully "accessible", because the ABS has already activated because the rear wheel is locking up way sooner than the front.

IF however the ABS system is smart enough to apply pulsing to ONLY the wheel brake whose wheel is actually locking up, then a stronger front brake MIGHT help, because it is the front brake that does most of the actual braking. The limiting factor though is likely to be the tire coefficient of friction. If the stock front brake can already lock up the front wheel, then replacing it with a stronger brake doesn't improve the braking. You can't apply more brake when the tire is already starting to skid. The ABS won't LET you.

IF the tire coefficient is high enough though (really sticky tire), then the improved front brake can actually help, as the ABS can continue applying braking, beyond what the "lower friction" tire could handle before lockup, until the tire starts to skid.

Which type of ABS do our Breakouts have?

Jim G

Old 05-02-2014, 03:58 PM
jweinsteiger
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I think it depends on how the ABS system installed on the Breakout actually work.

IF the ABS is "simple" and activates when EITHER wheel starts to lock up, there is going to be a problem: The front brake will now be able to apply way more braking, making the "performance gap" between the front brake and the rear brake even larger than it already is. The problem is that the rear brake ALREADY will lock up the rear wheel long before the front brake locks the front brake up, because of the severe weight transfer that occurs when you brake a bike hard enough to activate ABS. So, even with a "better" brake on the front, the ABS would activate, and the new "extra" braking power on the front brake would not actually ever be fully "accessible", because the ABS has already activated because the rear wheel is locking up way sooner than the front.

IF however the ABS system is smart enough to apply pulsing to ONLY the wheel brake whose wheel is actually locking up, then a stronger front brake MIGHT help, because it is the front brake that does most of the actual braking. The limiting factor though is likely to be the tire coefficient of friction. If the stock front brake can already lock up the front wheel, then replacing it with a stronger brake doesn't improve the braking. You can't apply more brake when the tire is already starting to skid. The ABS won't LET you.

IF the tire coefficient is high enough though (really sticky tire), then the improved front brake can actually help, as the ABS can continue applying braking, beyond what the "lower friction" tire could handle before lockup, until the tire starts to skid.

Which type of ABS do our Breakouts have?

Jim G

Not 100% sure but I believe the BO ABS uses a sensor to detect wheel lockup so it may be of the smarter variety (anyone know for sure?)

Last edited by jweinsteiger; 05-04-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:13 PM
U4junkie
Intermediate

Jim, I think you're over thinking it. it's just math. If the frt master is unchanged and you add area buy having more total piston area in the caliper it simply takes a lighter touch with your brake lever to get the same results. Think of it as leverage.

the front and rear have different inputs form your foot and hand. with seat time you will calibrate your touch to balance the braking system. you are right that if you already have sufficient hand strength to readily lock up the front wheel, there is no gain to be had other than the amount of "effort/Squeeze" needed to obtain lockup. the system should work regardless, when it detects a locked wheel, it'll pulse. I don't know if it pulses both when one wheeel locks or not.... but this aspect is unchanged.... it's just the input effort that changes.... and one might feel good about the upgrade, but a locked front tire is a locked front tire whether its done with stock squeeze or less squeeze and more surface area from a bigger caliper.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:14 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by jweinsteiger
Not 100% sure but I behave the BO ABS uses a sensor to detect wheel lockup so it may be of the smarter variety (anyone know for sure?)
Harley Davidson's ABS system is "Independent" and has sensors that monitor the rotational speed of each individual wheel. In other words, the rider must be applying both brakes for both brakes to act in stopping the bike. The ABS system will prevent the pressure the rider is applying to each brake from locking the wheel(s) he is applying the braking pressure to. There are readable components in the wheel bearings for the sensors to pick up. That is how the modulator knows when to regulate each brake.

Independent and rider actuated.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Msmall
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my powder coated parts back today and am pumped how they turned out, I will post some pics once I have the bike back together tomorrow

I pc'd
rear struts,
Strut spacers
license plate bracket
Turn signal housings
Headlight ring
Chain guard and bolts
Seat bolts
Tank console
Horn cover

Old 05-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone found a decent horizontal oil cooler that will fit the Breakout with minimum customization? I know there are vertical ones, but I don't want that. If anyone has a source for one, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:47 AM
gasilla
Advanced

I like the look of this faring but when I called Memphis shades they said they did not yet have a mounting kit for the breakout, are you happy with how yours is mounted?

Originally Posted by wickedweasel13
I found it it's Memphis Shade FX Bullet Fairing 2330-0077 , and Trigger Loc Mounting kit 2320-0138

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread