Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Softail Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 03:19 PM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Installed the 'Electrical Connection Upgrade Kit' part no. 72673-11 On my '14 Slim to get a 12 volt switched circuit that doesn't throw an error code.

I actually lifted the tank up to get in and run the wire cleanly up to the headlight area (I'm using to run passing lights with halo/angel eyes bulbs that aren't compatible with the BCM). It's the first time I've messed with the quick release for the fuel line... Kudos to f'ing HD for putting that little feature on!!!!

Now, I need to go pick up a second switch for the halos...

The bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The electrical upgrade kit: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...on-upgrade-kit

Old 07-30-2016, 04:23 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 931 Posts

So are you implying that you were getting a code set previously?

I think I tapped into one of the 'unused international' for my Aux lights.
(been three years ago, so I'm a bit foggy) So my Aux lights are
totally independent of lo/hi beam as it would appear that this will
be for your passing lights...

Pics appreciated if you have any.

thanks,

T.

Originally Posted by Axis39
Installed the 'Electrical Connection Upgrade Kit' part no. 72673-11 On my '14 Slim to get a 12 volt switched circuit that doesn't throw an error code.

I actually lifted the tank up to get in and run the wire cleanly up to the headlight area (I'm using to run passing lights with halo/angel eyes bulbs that aren't compatible with the BCM). It's the first time I've messed with the quick release for the fuel line... Kudos to f'ing HD for putting that little feature on!!!!

Now, I need to go pick up a second switch for the halos...

The bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The electrical upgrade kit: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...on-upgrade-kit

Old 07-31-2016, 06:32 AM
Bishop73
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I did a bit of exhaust work, I wasn't happy with the straight shots that came with the bike. They just didn't fit the style of the bike. I drew my inspiration (well, copied him exactly) from Skeezmachine.

I was looking for an old school look and when I saw his bike it was exactly what I wanted. I did my wrap just a little different than he did, my OCD wouldn't allow me to have it two different lengths. I also kept the stock exhaust mount as the passenger peg is attached to it. I made a mount that works, for now. I have a feeling that it will eventually break the mounting bolt on the exhaust. For now though, I'm just going to enjoy it.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:36 AM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by WKNDS
So are you implying that you were getting a code set previously?

I think I tapped into one of the 'unused international' for my Aux lights.
(been three years ago, so I'm a bit foggy) So my Aux lights are
totally independent of lo/hi beam as it would appear that this will
be for your passing lights...

Pics appreciated if you have any.

thanks,

T.
When I first popped the passing lamp kit on and plugged these bulbs in, I install a spade connecter and though, man, that was easy. Plugged it into the connecter up by the steering stem and the lights worked fine... Except I got a LO RANGE warning (even though the tank was 3/4 full) and the security light was lit. I cannot remember the exact code, but it said something like 'auxiliary light shorted low'.

So, I did some more research and contacted Custom Dynamics (to see if they had some kind of load balancer, etc. to help get the right signal to the BCM) and they said, sorry those bulbs are probably just not CanBus compatible.

I get it, they were cheap for a reason... and I'm cheap as can be, so I went looking for as inexpensive of a fix as I could find. Well, plus, i really wanted the Angel Eyes bit... Just to be a little different.

So, doing some reading, I came across the unused Fender Tip Light connector under my tank (part of the headlight loom). So, I cut into that, connected a wire to the auxiliary light switch and tried again. Lights worked. But, another error code, running lights shorted low.

So, I ran a wire directly to my battery with a fuse. Hey, lights worked, no error codes, but the one time I forgot to turn them off... Sure as s**t, my battery drained enough that I couldn't start my bike... Just enough.

Well, I did't want to play that game very often, so I did some more research. Found out that there is a plug in 12 volt accessory port kit that goes onto the handlebars. It's supposed to plug into the '12 volt accessory port' and the instructions say on Softails, it is 'Under the side cover" which prompted me to start a thread... @J_Bee pointed me to the Electrical Connection Upgrade Kit and now, I am golden... I get the ignition switched lighting, no drained battery and I also get the unintended bonus you mentioned of independent hi/lo beam operation!

Oh, and my FP3 can be plugged in at the same time and works properly!

And, I promise to grab a picture or two later today... although, it's not very exciting, really. Just an extra gray Deutche connector and a couple of butt splice pigtails with a wire running out of one.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:34 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

yeah. Working with anything bulb related seems to be somewhat of a crap shoot. Until you find a way to over ride the system's limitations.
I too have had that LOW/RANGE warning come on with a filled tank.Plus a permanent reminder by way of blown bulbs. Got too expensive and decided that plain lighting actually works for me.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:05 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I detailed the bike yesterday including spokes and whitewalls. I tried something new on the whitewalls, Oxy Clean Max Force.

It actually worked quite well. I'd say at least as well as Wesley's Bleche Wite which is what I used to use.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:01 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default FL Fender on Fatboy

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
Installed FL Fender PTM OEM scheme on my Fat Boy:

THIS!!! Looks fantastic! Great job. Paint looks like the Bike is factory, only better!

Old 07-31-2016, 01:26 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
I detailed the bike yesterday including spokes and whitewalls. I tried something new on the whitewalls, Oxy Clean Max Force.

It actually worked quite well. I'd say at least as well as Wesley's Bleche Wite which is what I used to use.

Nice job Doc, still looks showroom.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:28 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by ILMFBL
Nice job Doc, still looks showroom.
I appreciate it. It was a 6 beer & a dip in the pool job. Although I was in the shade, it was 100° outside.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:36 PM
roddenby51
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

In my shop... 1000 mile service & wash.

Name:  DSC00315_zpsnqxfnjbq.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  184.4 KB

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Softail Today?