Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confusion on Lubrication levels....can someone clarify?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 07:47 AM
gtcoatie
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confusion on Lubrication levels....can someone clarify?

I have a 2005 Softail deluxe and changed the oil, transmission and primary lubricants this weekend. There seem to be some inconsistencies and just wanted to get the word from others that should know:

On the engine oil, some documentation says the oil should be at the fill neck weld level when cold.....but if that is the case, when the dipstick is inserted it shows being way high. What am I missing here?

The transmission is pretty straight forward. My HD shop suggested using belray in the transmission.....any thoughts on that?

On the crankcase oil, the manual says to add 26 oz of lubricant, but it also says you should be able to see it through the opening, and it even says you can have the lubricant as high as the lower edge of the opening. It takes a LOT more to reach that level.....so how much should be added?

Sorry....just want to make sure before I drive it again all levels are appropriate, but there seems to be confusion to me.

Thanks ahead of time.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:01 AM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

On the primary drive - fill to just below or at the opening.
transmission - the manual tells you how must to use - put that much in and check with the dipstick.
Engine oil - fill to the full mark on dipstick.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:08 AM
merdahl
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gtcoatie
I have a 2005 Softail deluxe and changed the oil, transmission and primary lubricants this weekend. There seem to be some inconsistencies and just wanted to get the word from others that should know:

On the engine oil, some documentation says the oil should be at the fill neck weld level when cold.....but if that is the case, when the dipstick is inserted it shows being way high. What am I missing here?
Use the dip stick.

The transmission is pretty straight forward. My HD shop suggested using belray in the transmission.....any thoughts on that?
No thoughts.

On the crankcase oil, the manual says to add 26 oz of lubricant, but it also says you should be able to see it through the opening, and it even says you can have the lubricant as high as the lower edge of the opening. It takes a LOT more to reach that level.....so how much should be added?
That would be your primary case oil. Put in the amount specified. For all fluids make sure you are aware of the bike position before checking; level, on jiffy stand, straight up. The position should be specified for each fluid.

Thanks ahead of time.
Sorry....just want to make sure before I drive it again all levels are appropriate, but there seems to be confusion to me.

Thanks ahead of time.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:08 AM
gtcoatie
Stage III

Originally Posted by Yardstick
On the primary drive - fill to just below or at the opening.
transmission - the manual tells you how must to use - put that much in and check with the dipstick.
Engine oil - fill to the full mark on dipstick.
Thanks.....just doesn't make sense for there to be so much discrepancy in the HD information....

Looking forward to learning a LOT from you guys here.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:13 AM
gtcoatie
Stage III

Originally Posted by merdahl
Use the dip stick.

No thoughts.

That would be your primary case oil. Put in the amount specified. For all fluids make sure you are aware of the bike position before checking; level, on jiffy stand, straight up. The position should be specified for each fluid.
I follow the manual, but the 26 oz and the visible through the opening and almost to the bottom edge are not even close to the same amount...

Old 12-16-2013, 08:13 AM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks ahead of time.
Sending you a PM.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The level on the dipstick is different when it's on the jiffy stand than when it's upright. The owners manual with my 02 Heritage says to check the oil in the upright position.

This is my routine, which I go through every time I get gas. When finished filling the gas tank I remove the oil dipstick, wipe it off , then put it back in.

I get on the bike and raise it upright level. Then put it back on the jiffy stand and check the level. As long as the level is above the low line I know it's ok.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:44 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Deluxe

I have a 2005 deluxe forget about the weld mark change your filter and add 2.8 quarts to the crank case take it for a ride get it hot then check it top off if needed I never have to add any thing 2.8 does it. Primary is 26 to 28 if you do not want to pull the derby cover to see the level it's in the manual. On the tranny you stand the bike level and check it when you catch the first thread on the stick in tranny add if needed to the mark on the stick. Over filling your crank case will cause it to come out your breather to many newbies do this better to start with less and add then over fill

Old 12-20-2013, 07:58 AM
1980FLHShovel
Cruiser

I follow the manual for adding fluids. Buy yourself a set of baby bottles at WallyWorld and use them to add fluids. They are under $5 and they have Oz. marks on them and make it a snap to measure out 26oz's. Just use a sizzors to snip a piece of the rubber nipple off and you can squirt the fluid right in without a funnel!!

Old 12-20-2013, 07:35 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

too much primary oil will make the clutch drag and neutral hard to find, use the spec. The oil dipstick changed somewhere around 05. if it swivels use sidestand, if it does not swivel, check upright. Mike