Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout exhaust suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go custom!

Old 12-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostradamus74
Good day guys. After the "chrome project" will be finished (it'll take a few months) I'm planning to change the exhaust. At the moment I'm using Screamin' Eagle mufflers, not so bad but sound and performace aren't what I expect from BO.
I narrowed my choices to three options from an aesthetic point of view.
1) V&H Big Shots Staggered;
2) Samson Legend Series Slashers;
3) Cobra Speedster Slashdown.
They are similar in shape with minor differences in lenght and tips. This is the type of exhaust I like the most 'cause I find it has a clean profile and much less seen than Big Radius 2 into 2 (nice exhaust though).
Now, I know that Samson LSS can fit BO with 1/2 or 3/4 spacers to have appropriate distance from oil lines.
V&H website says Big Shots Staggered do not fit BO. Is it the same kind of problem of Samson exhaust (spacers) or it requires some mods in brackets?
I know nearly nothing regarding Cobra Speedster Slashdown.
I need your suggestions in term of quality, fitting and performance.
What would you do? Are there any other exhausts with the same silhoutte worth considering? If somebody has them on his bike I'd appreciate his feedback.
Francesco
Thanks H_C, that's another chance too but what about the three above mentioned options? Fitting? Quality? Etc.?

Old 12-24-2013, 12:22 PM
black1125
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks H_C, that's another chance too but what about the three above mentioned options? Fitting? Quality? Etc.?
Had Cobra's before, very nice quality and sound, have a different bike now, but I would not hesitate to buy a Cobra exhaust again.....

Old 12-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All of those pipes have their pros/cons, regarding fitment however, most stuff won't fit our Breakout according to the manufactures. Here is the way I look at it, you can get what everyone else has (V&H BR 2-2), or do something unique that doesn't look like everyone else's bike.

The reason I still have the stock exhaust is exactly the reason I stated above, I don't want my bike to look like everyone else's. I removed the stock baffles, added the Big City Thunder (BCT QQ's) in the stock exhaust and am happy with it "for now". I've reached out to a few custom shops to see about having once fabbed up, but I'm still searching around before I make a final decision since custom will likely be $1,000+.

Doesn't really answer your question but gives you a different perspective perhaps.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Harley_Charley
All of those pipes have their pros/cons, regarding fitment however, most stuff won't fit our Breakout according to the manufactures. Here is the way I look at it, you can get what everyone else has (V&H BR 2-2), or do something unique that doesn't look like everyone else's bike.

The reason I still have the stock exhaust is exactly the reason I stated above, I don't want my bike to look like everyone else's. I removed the stock baffles, added the Big City Thunder (BCT QQ's) in the stock exhaust and am happy with it "for now". I've reached out to a few custom shops to see about having once fabbed up, but I'm still searching around before I make a final decision since custom will likely be $1,000+.

Doesn't really answer your question but gives you a different perspective perhaps.
Nice perspective!
More or less same reason why I avoided Big Radius. I like these three exhausts also because I've never seen anybody with BO using them and they have clean lines and chrome...

Old 12-24-2013, 02:11 PM
legacywr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big Radius do look the dogs, but, so many of us have them, they are starting to look like they must be factory fitted!

Old 12-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know you wanted the three listed but have you looked into to a 2-1 exhaust?
We have the Bassani Road Rage 2-1 on our '12 Heritage and we like the sound, nice DEEP rumble, and the performance increase.

Here are a couple of videos of our bike.

Enjoy

Old 12-24-2013, 03:11 PM
BlessedHellride
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Short Shots Staggered

Here's a set of V&H Short Shots Staggered in black on a 2014 BO at one of my local dealer's. I'm liking it more and more, and though I have Bassani Firepower 3" slip on's (w unwrapped baffles) to maintain the stock look with heat shields but produce a killer Harley sound, these shorty's are growing on me.

Attached Thumbnails Breakout exhaust suggestions?-vance-and-hines-short-shots-staggered-on-bo.jpg   Breakout exhaust suggestions?-vance-shorts-on-bo.jpg   Breakout exhaust suggestions?-right-full.jpg  

Last edited by BlessedHellride; 12-24-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain

Well, as a personal taste I do prefer 2 into 2 look even though 2 into 1 is usually better regarding performance and there are some types that are aestheticly nice too.
Short shots are interesting, I thought about them, but maybe I find them too short for a long bike such as BO. The better lenght to me are those who reach the rear axle, not too long neither too short..IMHO.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:56 PM
BlessedHellride
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, as a personal taste I do prefer 2 into 2 look even though 2 into 1 is usually better regarding performance and there are some types that are aestheticly nice too.
Short shots are interesting, I thought about them, but maybe I find them too short for a long bike such as BO. The better lenght to me are those who reach the rear axle, not too long neither too short..IMHO.
I'm liking more and more how the rear wheel is exposed and the exhaust fits within the confines of the frame with the shorty's installed. The original setup was one of the reason I got hooked on this bike but now not so much.
Merry Christmas!

Quick Reply: Breakout exhaust suggestions?