Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Softail Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Cool man, thanks for the info and good luck. Continue posting pics as you go along.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 AM
extremeshot
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a few more parts installed:
Induction module assembly
Air Filter assembly
Oil tank
Hand and foot controls
New rear brake line
Front and rear calipers with new break pads
Brakes bled

The rear brake line is a little long. As you can see, I went up and over the swing arm to take up the slack. It was a special order item which means I can't return it.

Also, I'm not sure I like the air filter cover. I might get one that leaves the filter open.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:19 AM
extremeshot
Cruiser

HD wanted $13.00 each for these 3 screws/spacers. I cranked up the lathe and made my own with some bolts and aluminum rod that I had laying around.

$13.00 HD screw:

Home made screws:

Old 02-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,891 Likes on 2,549 Posts

Well in NYS a "Custom" title is a PITA. Your resale is going to suck becasue everyone will know you built it and not MoCo. Your insurance is crazy high because they can. People I know are paying more for insurance on one Custom with basic liability than I am paying for three bikes with theft and collision.

Again your state probably varies, but in NYS you do whatever you can to have that title say HD.

PS years ago a buddy had a Custom registered as a Lowrider. No HD anywhere to be found, but the insurance company assumed, and he was covered like the rest of us. Simple word game but it worked for him.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:28 PM
extremeshot
Cruiser

I gave up on trying to build an EFI bike from take off parts. I'm going to go carb.

I understand that I will need the following items.

Am I missing anything? Does anyone have any suggestions on what parts to buy for each item below? Thanks for the help!!

Darren

1) Wiring Harness for Carb bike:
2) Fuel tank parts to convert EFI tank to Carb tank:
3) Ignition Module:
4) Intake Manifold:
5) Carbertor: Mukini 42mm
6) Ignition Coil:
7) Turn Signal Module
8) Ignition system
9) Ignition switch w/key

Old 03-20-2014, 08:45 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by extremeshot
I gave up on trying to build an EFI bike from take off parts. I'm going to go carb.

I understand that I will need the following items.

Am I missing anything? Does anyone have any suggestions on what parts to buy for each item below? Thanks for the help!!

Darren

1) Wiring Harness for Carb bike:
2) Fuel tank parts to convert EFI tank to Carb tank:
3) Ignition Module:
4) Intake Manifold:
5) Carbertor: Mukini 42mm
6) Ignition Coil:
7) Turn Signal Module
8) Ignition system
9) Ignition switch w/key
I would look into the difference in fuse block connections to make sure that all you have to do is leave some out or substitute some for others. There is someone here or on Harleytechtalk that has done the conversion. Do a search... he would be your best source. You also have to consider the sensors that are in use for a carb'd bike and ignition system that are different from the EFI system.

Have fun.

C#

Old 04-09-2014, 02:06 PM
extremeshot
Cruiser

Got it all figured out...just got to buy the parts. I'm buying a Thunder Heart Stand Alone Ignition system that uses the stock crank sensor. Also using a Thunder Heart Micro Harness. Lastly I'm going with the Mikuni HSR42 Total Kit for the carb. I also recently did the tank conversion and got my petcock installed.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:55 PM
ctluba
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The bike is lookin very cool. You do nice work.

Not a knock here, but I would NEVER buy a frame without a title. It goes state by state as far as DMV rules, but why deal with the headache?? Get a titled frame and go nuts, no worries. As long as the title matches the VIN on the frame you can throw in any motor, suspension, tranny....any parts you want. The frame and the frame VIN are the bike.

I dont know the rules in your state, but after you build this bike they may require an inspection to register and title it. That could be another load of headaches (this is illegal, this is not safe, you need this, you need that...........F*CK YOU!!!!!)

Any time I build or mod a bike, I start with a bike with a valid title. Then I bring it to DMV and get it registered in my name. THEN I rip into it and do whatever I want, No DMV or inspectors to deal with at that point.

Anyways, you already chose your path with the frame you bought. Hope you get it tilted and registered with as little grief as possible.

Keep the pics comin!!!

Last edited by ctluba; 04-09-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:05 AM
extremeshot
Cruiser

Made a bracket to place all the electronic components: thunder heart stand alone ignition module, thunder heart micro harness fuse/switch/relay box, and breaker.

Attached Thumbnails My Softail Rebuild-img_20140426_009571.jpg  
Old 04-26-2014, 10:09 AM
extremeshot
Cruiser

Got my horn installed.

Attached Thumbnails My Softail Rebuild-img_20140426_0010653.jpg  

Quick Reply: My Softail Rebuild