Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Softail Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:14 AM
extremeshot
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My Softail Rebuild

I found a 2008 softail frame that had been in a fire. A motorcycle shop bought it from the insurance company and stripped and repowdercoated the frame. Then I found a brand new crate motor on ebay and got it shipped in. Then I found a local guy that had a bunch of parts, like the inner and outer primary, etc. I recently got a new rear wheel and got it installed after machining some new spacers. I'm now working on the primary/clutch/compensator, starter, etc.

D

Attached Thumbnails My Softail Rebuild-1.jpg   My Softail Rebuild-2.jpg   My Softail Rebuild-3.jpg  

Last edited by extremeshot; 06-30-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Inop
Stellar HDF Member

Received 682 Likes on 292 Posts

Awsome, looking good so far.....keep us posted.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Lightafatty
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet! I'm curious to know if you can title it as a harley since the frame has a VIN.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:36 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

I've read sometimes it not hard to get a rebuild titled, but I've also read it can be a nightmare.
Did you get any paper work with the frame from either the insurance or shop where You bought it.?

Have you done any inquiring about what your building with the DMV, I'd hate to see you do all the work and then have a big headache getting it on the road.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Juiced_deuce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i always thought the title goes with the motor, not the frame on a build like this.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:26 PM
extremeshot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Lightafatty
Sweet! I'm curious to know if you can title it as a harley since the frame has a VIN.
I have a couple options.

I live in Illinois. I was told there are two options in Illinois. It will either be retitled as a 2014 Custom or I have to go through a licensed "rebuilder" and pay a bunch of extra money, fill out a crap load of forms, have several inspections, etc, etc. and after all that I'm not sure what the title will say.

Or I think I can sell it to a buddy in Missouri who can get a clean title as a Harley and then he can sell it back to me.

Worst case, it's a "Custom". This option is not a problem...I've already talked with the DMV on the process.

I'd obviously like to get a clean title as a Harley if I can.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:30 PM
extremeshot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oct1949
Did you get any paper work with the frame from either the insurance or shop where You bought it.?

Have you done any inquiring about what your building with the DMV, I'd hate to see you do all the work and then have a big headache getting it on the road.
Yeah, I have a Salvage title on the frame. And I have a Certificate of Origin for the crate motor.

Oh, believe me....I didn't spend a dime more until I found out if I could get it titled or not. Like I said above, worst case is that I'll get a new Illinois title that says 2014 Custom. Best case I can get a clean title in Missouri that says Harley. Since the frame is a 2008 it would still be titled as a 2008 Harley....at least that's what I was told. The only question I need answered if I go the Missouri route is if the title will say "rebuild harley" or if it will be clean.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:36 PM
chester1957
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage title

Originally Posted by extremeshot
I have a couple options.

I live in Illinois. I was told there are two options in Illinois. It will either be retitled as a 2014 Custom or I have to go through a licensed "rebuilder" and pay a bunch of extra money, fill out a crap load of forms, have several inspections, etc, etc. and after all that I'm not sure what the title will say.

Or I think I can sell it to a buddy in Missouri who can get a clean title as a Harley and then he can sell it back to me.

Worst case, it's a "Custom". This option is not a problem...I've already talked with the DMV on the process.

I'd obviously like to get a clean title as a Harley if I can.
At best a salvage title is all you can get as a rebuild, not any more worth than titled as a custom.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:46 PM
extremeshot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by chester1957
At best a salvage title is all you can get as a rebuild, not any more worth than titled as a custom.
What state do you live in? According to a buddy in Missouri that has done this before, the "salvage" goes away on the title.

In Illinois, if you went thru the licensed rebuilder route, I think the "salvage" also goes away but the title may say something like "Harley Rebuild"

What I'm pretty sure of is that the title won't just say "Salvaged" after it's been rebuilt and inspected....'cause if it did, then why the hell would I have to go through all the **** that I am with keeping track of receipts, etc, etc, because my title already says Salvage and I could just take it in and get a license. Pretty sure it gets modified somehow no matter what route I take.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:11 PM
acman308
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It all depends on the state....
I bought a salvage titled bike from NY in Texas i got back a salvage title.... When i swapped it to OK i got back a clean title when i sold it to a buddy in Texas again (he knew the bikes history) He got back a clean title.

So the truth is if you buy a bike that's changed hands and states a few times it could be a salvaged bike very easily. This all took place in the last 4 years so it's recent happenings.

Quick Reply: My Softail Rebuild