Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to test a used Stator before install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
extremeshot
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any way to test a used Stator before install?

I'm building a bike and some of my parts are used, like the stator.

Visually, the stator looks ok. In other words, there are no signs that it has been burnt up like I've seen in pictures of bad stators.

However, I would really hate to get this used stator installed and then find out something is wrong with it. As you know, it's buried in the primary.

I'm not much of an electrical guy....is there a way to test this used stator before I install it? I'm wondering if I can hook it up to one of those electrical tester thingy's and get some kind of an idea if it's ok or not?

With this said, my bike does not yet have any wiring, battery, ECM, etc. Those are next on my purchase list.

Thanks,
D

Old 01-14-2014, 02:37 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Inspect it for obvious damage, burnt spots or knicked, broken wires. Use a good digital multimeter, and test between the three phases coming out, there should be a consistent , very low resistance (ohms setting) between all three leads. Then check from a lead to the metal body of the the stator, should be no continuity, very high resistance. That is the testing to be done while off the bike. Tests like this are easy to find, just google what you want to do. The manual for the bike, which you will need, or really want, to save yourself a lot of grief, will cover it in detail.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:57 AM
extremeshot
Cruiser

Cool. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-15-2014, 03:27 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally, I would never install a "Used" stater.

You can bench test the stator by measuring the Ohms but that's only half of the equation. A grounding test must also be performed while the stator is mounted and the electrical system connected. You might get lucky but why take the chance. Stators are relatively inexpensive.

Check out Cycle Electric. Quality product made in the USA. http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/

Old 01-15-2014, 03:39 PM
extremeshot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by olongapo1
Personally, I would never install a "Used" stater.

You can bench test the stator by measuring the Ohms but that's only half of the equation. A grounding test must also be performed while the stator is mounted and the electrical system connected. You might get lucky but why take the chance. Stators are relatively inexpensive.

Check out Cycle Electric. Quality product made in the USA. http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/
I hear ya...however, I started building this bike from the frame up. I can't afford to buy all brand new parts....it would be cheaper just buying a bike all put together. In some cases I'm going to have to take a chance I guess. My transmission and clutch were used as well but I had them taken apart and looked at to ensure they were good. About the only things new on my bike are the motor, starter, rear wheel and axle, both tires, and many of the bolts that hold everything on. Everything else is used.

D

Old 01-16-2014, 03:39 AM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

D,

Send me a mail at my personal address. I'll send you the procedures and specs to test a stator. Will need the Amp output of the stator or the year/model of the engine.

olongapo2@gmail.com

Old 01-16-2014, 09:20 PM
extremeshot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by olongapo1
D,

Send me a mail at my personal address. I'll send you the procedures and specs to test a stator. Will need the Amp output of the stator or the year/model of the engine.

olongapo2@gmail.com
Will do!

FWIW, I tested the continuity tonight...it passed that test.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 PM
extremeshot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DDuess
Use a good digital multimeter, and test between the three phases coming out, there should be a consistent , very low resistance (ohms setting) between all three leads. Then check from a lead to the metal body of the the stator, should be no continuity, very high resistance. That is the testing to be done while off the bike.
Just did this. Everything passed. Thanks!