Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Throttle/Clutch cables

Old 01-16-2014, 06:53 AM
skiddd
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Throttle/Clutch cables

I have stock bars and risers on my 2000 Heritage Softail Classic(FLSTC) and want to change out the cables for braided ones. Questions are:

1. should I stick with the stock lengths on all cables(Throttle and clutch)?
2. what's a good brand to use?
3. I never did a clutch cable before, what's the difficulty level?, I am mechanically inclined and have the service and parts books.
4. Is there some kind of kit I can buy that includes all 3 cables?

Thanks, hope its not too many questions....

Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 AM
txphatboy
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

1. If you're staying with stock or near stock risers and bars, why would you change cable length, unless you want to route them a different way?
2. Magnum cable are some of the best, but there are others.
3. I have a 2001 - not difficult at all.
4. Burly and LA Choppers sell kits, but not sure if their quality is as good as a Magnum. You can find good prices on ebay.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:41 AM
TonyGinFla
Cruiser

Ditto for Magnum cables. Replacing the clutch cable definitely isn't rocket science especially if you have a service manual. Remember to buy a new gasket for the transmission side cover because it has to be removed to replace the clutch cable.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good questions...I have a rocker that is 5 years old and I have 40k on it and I travel with it. I'm thinking of changing both of mine out to avoid possib le problems on the road???? What mileage is a good point to change them if anyone has an idea???? Thanks much and ride safe.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:02 PM
sagebrush1976
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by skiddd
I have stock bars and risers on my 2000 Heritage Softail Classic(FLSTC) and want to change out the cables for braided ones. Questions are:

1. should I stick with the stock lengths on all cables(Throttle and clutch)?
2. what's a good brand to use?
3. I never did a clutch cable before, what's the difficulty level?, I am mechanically inclined and have the service and parts books.
4. Is there some kind of kit I can buy that includes all 3 cables?

Thanks, hope its not too many questions....
1. I'd stick with stock length unless changing bars or risers.
2. The easiest, but probably most expensive, would be to go to the local dealer and order the Diamondback cables. They are very nice and would be an exact replacement. Magnum would be my choice if going aftermarket.
3. If you have the service manual and basic mechanical skills it'll be a piece of cake.
4. I've seen some "kits" on eBay but check your prices before you buy...just might be cheaper to purchase each one individually.
5. I'd suggest changing the brake line also. The stocker will look out of place with the rest of the new cables. You'll also get a firmer feel with your brakes too when you go to a braided line.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:36 PM
skiddd
Supporter

Gentleman, I thank You all for Your reply's. this was a big help to me. Magnum cables seem to hold the majority so I will go with them...... oh and I meant to say I wanted to change out the brake line also, I forgot............. thanks again Men............. Ride safe...

Old 01-16-2014, 06:39 PM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by txphatboy
1. If you're staying with stock or near stock risers and bars, why would you change cable length, unless you want to route them a different way?
2. Magnum cable are some of the best, but there are others.
3. I have a 2001 - not difficult at all.
4. Burly and LA Choppers sell kits, but not sure if their quality is as good as a Magnum. You can find good prices on ebay.

I was just curious to see if there was any benefit of going longer, sometimes someone changes things a bit and it works out better. I'll stay with the stock sizes. Thanks again Man.....

Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 PM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by sagebrush1976
1. I'd stick with stock length unless changing bars or risers.
2. The easiest, but probably most expensive, would be to go to the local dealer and order the Diamondback cables. They are very nice and would be an exact replacement. Magnum would be my choice if going aftermarket.
3. If you have the service manual and basic mechanical skills it'll be a piece of cake.
4. I've seen some "kits" on eBay but check your prices before you buy...just might be cheaper to purchase each one individually.
5. I'd suggest changing the brake line also. The stocker will look out of place with the rest of the new cables. You'll also get a firmer feel with your brakes too when you go to a braided line.

I've read that on this forum a few times, that's a good thing........... Thanks.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:23 PM
TonyGinFla
Cruiser

I saw this on ebay while looking for a brake line for a custom build. Sounds like a really good deal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...00637149870%26

Old 01-16-2014, 11:22 PM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by TonyGinFla
I saw this on ebay while looking for a brake line for a custom build. Sounds like a really good deal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...00637149870%26

It does, but I wonder about the quality. I'm gonna look into the company APEX...... thanks for info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Throttle/Clutch cables