Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Softail Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 01-16-2014, 06:53 AM
Club Member
Default New Throttle/Clutch cables

I have stock bars and risers on my 2000 Heritage Softail Classic(FLSTC) and want to change out the cables for braided ones. Questions are:

1. should I stick with the stock lengths on all cables(Throttle and clutch)?
2. what's a good brand to use?
3. I never did a clutch cable before, what's the difficulty level?, I am mechanically inclined and have the service and parts books.
4. Is there some kind of kit I can buy that includes all 3 cables?

Thanks, hope its not too many questions....
2009 FLHX Street Glide, Cruise, Security, ABS, Rinehart pipes(black tips), screaming eagle intake, Power Commander V, Custom Dynamics front and rear LED's, rear powered with a triple play, A few pieces of chrome here and there. Traded in the Heritage softail and will never look back even for a moment.......... loving the touring bike.......

1977 Super Glide - given away
2000 FLSTC - Sold
Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 AM
Senior Rider

1. If you're staying with stock or near stock risers and bars, why would you change cable length, unless you want to route them a different way?
2. Magnum cable are some of the best, but there are others.
3. I have a 2001 - not difficult at all.
4. Burly and LA Choppers sell kits, but not sure if their quality is as good as a Magnum. You can find good prices on ebay.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:41 AM
One Of The Regulars

Ditto for Magnum cables. Replacing the clutch cable definitely isn't rocket science especially if you have a service manual. Remember to buy a new gasket for the transmission side cover because it has to be removed to replace the clutch cable.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Road Warrior

Good questions...I have a rocker that is 5 years old and I have 40k on it and I travel with it. I'm thinking of changing both of mine out to avoid possib le problems on the road???? What mileage is a good point to change them if anyone has an idea???? Thanks much and ride safe.
2008 Rocker C, K+N Filter, Kury. Intake with scarab cover, HD pegs, Kury. grips, Ness mirrors, iridium plugs, Hotfire wires, Leatherworks 5" swingarm bag, Danny Gray seat with gel (why did I wait so long...), Progressive shocks front/rear (awesome!) - Ride Safe/Watch the cages...Join me in Ireland for a pint of Guinness!
Old 01-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Road Master
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddd View Post
I have stock bars and risers on my 2000 Heritage Softail Classic(FLSTC) and want to change out the cables for braided ones. Questions are:

1. should I stick with the stock lengths on all cables(Throttle and clutch)?
2. what's a good brand to use?
3. I never did a clutch cable before, what's the difficulty level?, I am mechanically inclined and have the service and parts books.
4. Is there some kind of kit I can buy that includes all 3 cables?

Thanks, hope its not too many questions....
1. I'd stick with stock length unless changing bars or risers.
2. The easiest, but probably most expensive, would be to go to the local dealer and order the Diamondback cables. They are very nice and would be an exact replacement. Magnum would be my choice if going aftermarket.
3. If you have the service manual and basic mechanical skills it'll be a piece of cake.
4. I've seen some "kits" on eBay but check your prices before you buy...just might be cheaper to purchase each one individually.
5. I'd suggest changing the brake line also. The stocker will look out of place with the rest of the new cables. You'll also get a firmer feel with your brakes too when you go to a braided line.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Club Member

Gentleman, I thank You all for Your reply's. this was a big help to me. Magnum cables seem to hold the majority so I will go with them...... oh and I meant to say I wanted to change out the brake line also, I forgot............. thanks again Men............. Ride safe...
2009 FLHX Street Glide, Cruise, Security, ABS, Rinehart pipes(black tips), screaming eagle intake, Power Commander V, Custom Dynamics front and rear LED's, rear powered with a triple play, A few pieces of chrome here and there. Traded in the Heritage softail and will never look back even for a moment.......... loving the touring bike.......

2000 FLSTC - Sold
Old 01-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txphatboy View Post
1. If you're staying with stock or near stock risers and bars, why would you change cable length, unless you want to route them a different way?
2. Magnum cable are some of the best, but there are others.
3. I have a 2001 - not difficult at all.
4. Burly and LA Choppers sell kits, but not sure if their quality is as good as a Magnum. You can find good prices on ebay.

I was just curious to see if there was any benefit of going longer, sometimes someone changes things a bit and it works out better. I'll stay with the stock sizes. Thanks again Man.....

2000 FLSTC - Sold
Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrush1976 View Post
1. I'd stick with stock length unless changing bars or risers.
2. The easiest, but probably most expensive, would be to go to the local dealer and order the Diamondback cables. They are very nice and would be an exact replacement. Magnum would be my choice if going aftermarket.
3. If you have the service manual and basic mechanical skills it'll be a piece of cake.
4. I've seen some "kits" on eBay but check your prices before you buy...just might be cheaper to purchase each one individually.
5. I'd suggest changing the brake line also. The stocker will look out of place with the rest of the new cables. You'll also get a firmer feel with your brakes too when you go to a braided line.

I've read that on this forum a few times, that's a good thing........... Thanks.

2000 FLSTC - Sold
Old 01-16-2014, 07:23 PM
One Of The Regulars

I saw this on ebay while looking for a brake line for a custom build. Sounds like a really good deal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...00637149870%26
Old 01-16-2014, 11:22 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGinFla View Post
I saw this on ebay while looking for a brake line for a custom build. Sounds like a really good deal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...00637149870%26

It does, but I wonder about the quality. I'm gonna look into the company APEX...... thanks for info.

2000 FLSTC - Sold
Old 01-16-2014, 11:22 PM

P