Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch hinged cover is stuck

Old 01-17-2014, 10:18 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts
Default Ignition switch hinged cover is stuck

I just washed my 12 FLSTC and lifted the ignition switch cover to wipe and now the hinged part will not go back down over the lock. I don't want to push it in case I bend it. Anybody had this problem and how can I fix it. The switch still turns to ACC and ign and off but it's a bit annoying with the cover stuck up.
The bike is still under warranty so I can take it to HD but just wondering if there's an easy fix.

The following users liked this post:
mwillb53 (08-22-2021)
Old 01-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
I just washed my 12 FLSTC and lifted the ignition switch cover to wipe and now the hinged part will not go back down over the lock. I don't want to push it in case I bend it. Anybody had this problem and how can I fix it. The switch still turns to ACC and ign and off but it's a bit annoying with the cover stuck up.
The bike is still under warranty so I can take it to HD but just wondering if there's an easy fix.
Try a little lubricating oil, and work the flap back and forth, this might do the trick. If not to the dealer you go. It might have a broken return spring that is hanging up...

Old 01-17-2014, 10:55 AM
H3llb1lly88
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father in laws '13 heritage does this. It won't stay down. It clicks then pops right back up.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:39 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Got a Hammer??

Old 01-17-2014, 08:17 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I went to the Dealership to pick up some parts today (by car) and told the service dept about the issue. They are ordering me a whole new ignition switch keyed to my bike, under warranty.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:42 PM
ROMPUS
Road Master

Glad the stealer is going to make it good for you.Most of the time they say " aw that is usual & it will go away some day, so good for them for doing the right thing.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Aaronstottle
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

They got 'em on ebay for cheap, with pair of keys - if for some reason the stealership won't do you right....

I'm gonna buy me a new one. My contacts are getting worn, and I got only one key, and that's getting worn...

Old 01-19-2014, 08:20 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaronstottle
They got 'em on ebay for cheap, with pair of keys - if for some reason the stealership won't do you right....

I'm gonna buy me a new one. My contacts are getting worn, and I got only one key, and that's getting worn...
You have to be careful if it is not an HD part. You may have to modify the connector(s) to get them to mate properly.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:45 PM
73oldsman
Road Master

Originally Posted by cwsharp
You have to be careful if it is not an HD part. You may have to modify the connector(s) to get them to mate properly.
I've ordered one from Drag Specialties in the past for my 2000 Fatboy and it plugged right in, no problems. Only thing is I have 2 keys now, one for the forks and one for the ignition, which may bother some. They can be rekeyed with no problem though at any key shop if one prefers only one key. I've had that switch on my ride for as long as I can remember, and even have another one hanging in the garage in case this one ever gives me problems.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Aaronstottle
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably go with Drag Specialties....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition switch hinged cover is stuck