Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Softail Springer Classic Project/Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 07:03 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Joe G. That dash is available in chrome also.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Ace I'm thinking that mod is going to make my list. Just got back from cars and coffee and my dash looked way too new school to me. Some folks at the show were asking me if that was an old Harley....to the untrained eye, it really looks like an old scooter. Got a lot of complements on my fringe too. I'm going to go to the dealer today to check out the bikes with the cat eye dash to see what I'll need to do about a bib.

Redbeard you have been so helpful to me, I hate to ask and wear out my welcome, but I thought you mentioned you might have the cam conversion part #'s in a spreadsheet....if you do happen to have that, and wouldn't mind sharing with me at joegut at gmail dot com, I'd sure appreciate it.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Ace I'm thinking that mod is going to make my list. Just got back from cars and coffee and my dash looked way too new school to me. Some folks at the show were asking me if that was an old Harley....to the untrained eye, it really looks like an old scooter. Got a lot of complements on my fringe too. I'm going to go to the dealer today to check out the bikes with the cat eye dash to see what I'll need to do about a bib.

Redbeard you have been so helpful to me, I hate to ask and wear out my welcome, but I thought you mentioned you might have the cam conversion part #'s in a spreadsheet....if you do happen to have that, and wouldn't mind sharing with me at joegut at gmail dot com, I'd sure appreciate it.

When I was considering a bib, I was going to use the one from a Slim. It was simple and looked perfect. The Crossbones and Heritage Classic bibs just weren't my style. And then...my painter just suggested removing the weld entirely.

As I recall, the Slim bib was about $70.

Joe, check your emails when you get a second. I sent over the list I made for the cam parts.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
When I was considering a bib, I was going to use the one from a Slim. It was simple and looked perfect. The Crossbones and Heritage Classic bibs just weren't my style. And then...my painter just suggested removing the weld entirely.

As I recall, the Slim bib was about $70.

Joe, check your emails when you get a second. I sent over the list I made for the cam parts.
Got it! Thanks again.

I searched around and like you didn't like the softail classic, the crossbones was pretty good, didn't know about the slim but will check it out. I ended up buying a pocket bib Hd accessory for the Crossbones....I always like the idea of a little pocket there.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Thank you! I'm really digging the way this is turning out. Nice when a plan comes together!

Last thing for today - I got the bracket made for the console. I used a 1/8" thick 1.25" wide aluminum flat stock, cut, filed, and sanded to shape, and mounted it with a couple 1/4-20 x 1/2" bolts, and a new full thread 5/16-18 x 1.25" bolt to mount the console onto.

I was all set to install the speedometer and realized when I sold the take-off console, I left the speedometer gasket in it... So, there's a slight delay while I wait for the replacement seal to arrive, but oh well, with another 8" of snow yesterday and today, I've got some time.

My cat eye dash parts came in this week and I just got back from HD to pick up some flat stock to make this bracket.

Redbeard you have been so helpful to me as I mod my Harley...I REALLY appreciate the time you've taken to share all the information with me. This is a great how to thread thanks to you!

Might slip on the cat eye and horn mount tonight...I realized a carb engine mount has a provision for the choke so I bought one and I'll put the passing light switch there and knock out both mods at once.

Thanks again!

The following users liked this post:
Chopper1929 (11-20-2016)
Old 09-24-2014, 10:05 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

My cat eye dash parts came in this week and I just got back from HD to pick up some flat stock to make this bracket.

Redbeard you have been so helpful to me as I mod my Harley...I REALLY appreciate the time you've taken to share all the information with me. This is a great how to thread thanks to you!

Might slip on the cat eye and horn mount tonight...I realized a carb engine mount has a provision for the choke so I bought one and I'll put the passing light switch there and knock out both mods at once.

Thanks again!
Sorry for the late reply Joe. Glad to hear that your parts have arrived and that my post about the bracket is proving helpful.

Post up a couple pictures when you can! I bet it looks sharp on that black/silver HS.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:00 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Hey Redbeard,

Installed my dash today, thanks again for your help on the project! And thought I'd bump up your post so folks could enjoy your cool bike.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Hey Redbeard,

Installed my dash today, thanks again for your help on the project! And thought I'd bump up your post so folks could enjoy your cool bike.
Awesome Joe. Post up some pictures if you get a chance!

Old 10-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Awesome Joe. Post up some pictures if you get a chance!
Here you go!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...cs-inside.html

Old 02-25-2016, 05:23 AM
G Dub
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

About time to install my dash. Thanks for the guidance Redbeard and Joe G

Quick Reply: 2006 Softail Springer Classic Project/Build