Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout Forward Control Extension Install ..HELP PLEASE.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Stone Cliff
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breakout Forward Control Extension Install ..HELP PLEASE.

OK, So I bought the Arlen Ness 3". Everyone say's how easy it is, so I must be an idiot

1. How do you get to the rear brake line ABS unit? Is it the canister in the middle rear of the bike above the shocks? I can hardly even see it much less get to it. Do you have to take the wheel off? Any step by step for the right side would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:46 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

I don't have abs, but I know that area is shitty to work in on a Breakout. I would bet you will need to remove the wheel.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:09 AM
BlessedHellride
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Some things are better off paying someone to do it, I let the tech's worry about it for me. Sorry that's of no help, but once you get them on you will happy for sure. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2014, 08:20 AM
ricbrooks2
Intermediate

I have done this on my 2014 CVO; you don't have to remove the rear wheel. There are two bolts you can access from underneath the bike that hold the plastic housing around the abs unit. Then there is another allen head screw that you must loosen/remove that is also accessed from underneath and then you can pull the whole abs unit out from the exhaust side. Then you bolt the abs line to the unit; bleed it and put it back in. The real pita is installing it back in the bike and getting that allen screw back in the proper place and tightening it which was the hardest thing for me to do. You can PM me if your have more questions; with ABS it sucks because of the location of that unit. FYI I had to remove the slip on portion of the exhaust as well to get it out; I don't know if anyone else managed to get it out without doing that but I needed to just mainly for working room.

Last edited by ricbrooks2; 01-24-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Stone Cliff
Tourer

Originally Posted by ricbrooks2
I have done this on my 2014 CVO; you don't have to remove the rear wheel. There are two bolts you can access from underneath the bike that hold the plastic housing around the abs unit. Then there is another allen head screw that you must loosen/remove that is also accessed from underneath and then you can pull the whole abs unit out from the exhaust side. Then you bolt the abs line to the unit; bleed it and put it back in. The real pita is installing it back in the bike and getting that allen screw back in the proper place and tightening it which was the hardest thing for me to do. You can PM me if your have more questions; with ABS it sucks because of the location of that unit. FYI I had to remove the slip on portion of the exhaust as well to get it out; I don't know if anyone else managed to get it out without doing that but I needed to just mainly for working room.

That's a huge help. I did notice those screws you are talking about, I just couldn't see a way for the unit to drop out of there in order to work on it. This helps A LOT. I will PM you too. Thanks again!! This forum is great

Old 01-24-2014, 01:52 PM
SeanG
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ricbrooks2
Nice CVO brother! By chance do you have any pics of the forward controls yet? Im 6'6 and am thinking about adding these to my FXSB

Old 01-24-2014, 02:09 PM
ricbrooks2
Intermediate

Yeah here ya go:

Old 01-24-2014, 02:13 PM
SeanG
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Cool man thanks...any issues with knee clearance on that intake?

Old 01-24-2014, 02:18 PM
ricbrooks2
Intermediate

Honestly I can't say for sure; I have sat on the bike but have not ridden it yet. The weather has turned terrible cold here in Maryland so I have not been able to put it through a long enough ride. From sitting on it it seemed extremely comfortable and I didn't notice any issue with the air cleaner. I'm 6'2" with about a 32" inseam and my legs are almost straight, just a very slight bend. I still got my apes to do then I will report back on the results. Sorry I can't be of more help but I don't want to give you false information.

Last edited by ricbrooks2; 01-24-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:27 AM
BlessedHellride
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanG
Nice CVO brother! By chance do you have any pics of the forward controls yet? Im 6'6 and am thinking about adding these to my FXSB
Hey, I'm also 6'6" and have these installed on my BO, you'll find it helps. I do, and of course another 2" would be ideal but it is what it is. Not sure how you're going to like the drag bars, though, been riding a lot with them already? Made for many stretch breaks on longer rides. I swapped for 10" mini apes after the first couple hundred miles and can now ride for much longer than before.

Quick Reply: Breakout Forward Control Extension Install ..HELP PLEASE.