Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little help with tc 88 engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:07 AM
johnnydIII
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little help with tc 88 engine mods

I have a 04 soft ail nightrain efi with stock tc 88.I ride mostly 2 up 80% of the time.I have screaming eagle slip ons and stage 1 air filter installed for about 5 years I don't get to ride that much bike has about 6000 miles on it.I have been doing some research but confused on a couple things,I started this because I wanted to upgrade cam chain tensioner with the new hydo se cam plate and h.o. oil pump.And while in there why not upgrade cams and inner cam bearings,I have se cam plate kit,204 se cams,se adjustable push rods,se lifters.At the point i bought my cams i didn't want to go with big bore kit or do any head work,after reading many posts on this site about tc88 upgrades I have now decided to go with big bore kit also.And also picked up a pair of 06 stock heads to have worked as i read these are better heads than the ones on my 04.So I'm confused on if I do a 98" big bore can my stock jugs be bored out to the 98" or can I do just 95" on stock jugs?Also with the new 06 heads will I need to change throttle body?Next is now that I want to do the big bore 98" or 95" what se cam should I get as I can return to dealer and exchange.(kinda stuck with se cam at this point).Last but not least I was going to install thundermax auto tune after I get bung for o2 sensor on rear pipe.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:29 AM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO - The 95 inch will give you all the power you need and should still work well the SE 204s. If going with the heads from an '06 you should be fine. If you go with the 98 inch you might have to get your cases notched for the bigger pistons.

I was going to go the big bore route , but then decided I didn't know where to stop.....head work, better carb, newer pipes, etc

I stayed with SE 204s and did not bother with the big bore kit or other mods. For me I have plenty of power.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:39 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

If you're considering either big bore, why not go with the most you can safely do and commit to the 98"?

Fuel Moto is a site sponsor, and they offer a core exchange program. You order from them a pair of 98" cylinders, and then send yours back. Once they receive them, they refund the core charge.

If you want to keep your original cylinders, you can send them into Fuel Moto for boring.

I went with a 98" build and the Fuel Moto level B heads on an 03 I used to have. It had a pair of Wood TW-6R cams (I think, it's been a while). That build was a massive increase over the stock TC88.

I think you'd be very pleased with just a 98" BB, and you're 06 heads. Cam choice...not sure which SE cam to roll with, but I'm sure they have one that pulls hard for a 95-98" build with good torque down low, which is where you'd want it for 2-up riding.

The possibilities are endless.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:24 PM
johnnydIII
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tmilo1000
IMO - The 95 inch will give you all the power you need and should still work well the SE 204s. If going with the heads from an '06 you should be fine. If you go with the 98 inch you might have to get your cases notched for the bigger pistons.

I was going to go the big bore route , but then decided I didn't know where to stop.....head work, better carb, newer pipes, etc

I stayed with SE 204s and did not bother with the big bore kit or other mods. For me I have plenty of power.
tmilo1000, I figured the 95" bb would give me all the power i need, but I don't like the idea of notching my cases.I was just thinking if it was along the same lines as getting my stock jugs bored to 95" why not go to 98" if it was possible.

I wasn't sure at the time I wanted a bb kit so I went with the se 204s,now that I am I would just like to build it once and not have the extra costs of putting another set of cams later to match the build I'm doing now.

I do not know where to stop either(but i do know I'm not changing pipes)lol.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:33 PM
johnnydIII
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
If you're considering either big bore, why not go with the most you can safely do and commit to the 98"?

Fuel Moto is a site sponsor, and they offer a core exchange program. You order from them a pair of 98" cylinders, and then send yours back. Once they receive them, they refund the core charge.

If you want to keep your original cylinders, you can send them into Fuel Moto for boring.

I went with a 98" build and the Fuel Moto level B heads on an 03 I used to have. It had a pair of Wood TW-6R cams (I think, it's been a while). That build was a massive increase over the stock TC88.

I think you'd be very pleased with just a 98" BB, and you're 06 heads. Cam choice...not sure which SE cam to roll with, but I'm sure they have one that pulls hard for a 95-98" build with good torque down low, which is where you'd want it for 2-up riding.

The possibilities are endless.
Redbeard719, I like the idea of getting 98" bb and have no problem committing to it,just getting mixed info.Do I just have the original cylinders bored out for new pistons or do I have to notch the cases?I like the idea of the 95"bb because I don't have to.

I would like to get a set of woods cams but I already invested in the se204s less than a week ago,I believe the dealer will let me exchange for another set.I was thinking of going with se 255 for this build.

thanks for the info on Fuel moto I will check them out.I live in ny so I was gonna try and keep local,It may be time to call the experts at hillside.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No need to notch cases on a 98". Hillside,fm,gmr performance are all great. Go to the engine section and post this djl & Scott from hillside are always willing to help.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:08 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile 95"

I did the 95" kit with 10.5 to 1 pistons on my 02 Road Glide with Screamin Eagle heads and 257 cams. Output was 108tq/98hp and was a ripper for it's day. The cams came on a little later at 3k but was really a fun ride. If I were you I'd stick with the 95 which can be bored from your 88 and have your heads and throttle body ported. The cam choice would come from your head porter and your collaboration. In the lighter Nightrain it ot to rip. A Power commander for tuning is what I use. Have fun pulling your hair out trying to make the decisions.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:10 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lundee
No need to notch cases on a 98". Hillside,fm,gmr performance are all great. Go to the engine section and post this djl & Scott from hillside are always willing to help.
What Lundee said. And call Scott and pick his brain, good guy.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:51 PM
johnnydIII
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lundee
Lundee, If theres no need to notch cases then I'm going 98"bb.I just bought 06 heads on flea bay and wanted to have them in hand before i called hillside to get the work done.

I posted over there in the engine section lets see if anyone chimes in.

Thanks everyone for the the info.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:20 PM
johnnydIII
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Snowyone
I did the 95" kit with 10.5 to 1 pistons on my 02 Road Glide with Screamin Eagle heads and 257 cams. Output was 108tq/98hp and was a ripper for it's day. The cams came on a little later at 3k but was really a fun ride. If I were you I'd stick with the 95 which can be bored from your 88 and have your heads and throttle body ported. The cam choice would come from your head porter and your collaboration. In the lighter Nightrain it ot to rip. A Power commander for tuning is what I use. Have fun pulling your hair out trying to make the decisions.
Snowyone, While 95" is big enough I just wanted to see what my options where for bb, if it where possible why not 98" you know what i mean?

With the 06 heads I was wondering if my stock tb would not only fit but will it perform as well if not upgraded to larger maybe 06 tb or se tb i was thinking the 50mm se,I do like the idea of porting the stock tb.With the 06 heads I want to get as much work done now so I don't have to remove again.I don't race or goto drags so i want it streetable.

not to open another bag of worms but I like the idea of doing roller rockers,I probably don't need but why not ask and find out now rather than later,are there pros and cons?I would like to strengthen my valve train and make it a little quieter than stock if possible.

Im leaning towards se 255 for the cam but waiting until i talk to a builder about the 98" and heads combo to order it from the dealer.

Im really not sure yet about what tuner i want,I like the thundermax auto tune because I rode with a guy on 9/11 ride from PA to Pentagon and up to freedom tower in stop and go traffic and he loved it.He kinda talked me into going that route when the time came.I also wanted to check off a bucket list item to ride across the U.S .from ny to california with all go the elevation changes I figured the closed loop thundermax auto tune was the way to go.

As for my hair that was gone long ago I wish I still had some to pull out ..lmao

Quick Reply: Need a little help with tc 88 engine mods