Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Night Train Build

Old 02-01-2014, 11:20 AM
piper1978
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Night Train Build

Well a buddy of mine is in Afghanistan and asked to do some mods for him.
Here is a Before Pic

Here is what we are looking at for a final product. With a google search this photo came up and was off this forum. whoever owns this thanks for the visual of what was in my head, it made it eaisier to sell!

So a list of updates, floorboards, An FL style front headlight Nacelle with Hawg Halters 4* rake trees, 23" 60 Spoke front wheel with black PC rims and hubs and copper plated spokes, 14" apes, Bitchin seat in brown bull hide tan leather, Fuel Moto 107" big bore kit, RSD tracker rear fender, 18" 60 spoke black hubs and rims with copper spokes.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:27 AM
piper1978
Tourer

Here are some pics of progress so far

RSD mockup

Old 02-01-2014, 11:42 AM
piper1978
Tourer

Wife wanted to park in the garage this winter so had to move to the basement

got her tore down a little further and started the Fuel Moto 107" kit

The Fuel Moto kit was delivered in two days and came with everything needed and also a DVD for assembly of the kit. I did have to purchase some cam bearing tools that cost me $140 but that was the only special tool required. I got the cylinders and pistons installed and then started the cams

Cam cover pulled

Cam support plate removed

Thought I would show the difference in the old and new cam support bearings. The new one has a much higher roller count

Installing new bearings with my new tool. This was definately worth the $140 and made it an easy install

Also thought I would show a pic of the O-rings that needed to be changed in the cam chest. There are three of them and the larger one in the back was a little hard to find. I need more light in the basement

Where i left her last night

Wheels and front nacelle sheetmetal should be in today. Hopefully I can get the front end mocked up and finish installed by the end of the week. With the wheels in I can finally get a quote for all the chrome to be electroplated copper. I hope to have that etimate thi week also

Old 02-01-2014, 11:56 AM
MrShifty
Cruiser

Originally Posted by piper1978
Well a buddy of mine is in Afghanistan and asked to do some mods for him.
Here is a Before Pic

Here is what we are looking at for a final product. With a google search this photo came up and was off this forum. whoever owns this thanks for the visual of what was in my head, it made it eaisier to sell!

So a list of updates, floorboards, An FL style front headlight Nacelle with Hawg Halters 4* rake trees, 23" 60 Spoke front wheel with black PC rims and hubs and copper plated spokes, 14" apes, Bitchin seat in brown bull hide tan leather, Fuel Moto 107" big bore kit, RSD tracker rear fender, 18" 60 spoke black hubs and rims with copper spokes.
Can't thank you enough brother. I'm looking forward to riding when I get back on R&R.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:16 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

That road king front end looks sick. I may have to do that swap. As for the rsd fender, I had that fender on my train but I didn't like slamming my bike on the ground to make it look good. Good luck with the build. When your done I have a 07 night train that could use some cool parts put on

Old 02-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by stal94gt
That road king front end looks sick. I may have to do that swap. As for the rsd fender, I had that fender on my train but I didn't like slamming my bike on the ground to make it look good. Good luck with the build. When your done I have a 07 night train that could use some cool parts put on
I agree. Nice start but that fender will have to ride much closer to the tire somehow to look good.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:19 PM
SGT Rock TN
Advanced

That looks great.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:21 PM
piper1978
Tourer

Factory rim is a 17". we are running a 18" and if that doesnt get it closer to the fender without clearance issues then a shotgun shock will be the next purchase

Old 02-01-2014, 07:26 PM
piper1978
Tourer

I had to switch out the trees to get the mount points for the sheetmetal front end. I am using a Hawg Halter + 4○ tree. hd makes the FL conversion kit, there is another kit made by an aftermarket company that I ordered first and iit got discontinued. currently waiting for the wheels and nacelle kit. shipment tracking says it shouldd be delivered any moment, hopefully I can post the front end mockup tonight

Old 02-01-2014, 07:46 PM
piper1978
Tourer

Here is the link to the nacelle kit we are using. We are going with the gloss black kit, a chrome one is available also. Like I mentioned before the trees need to be swapped out with a fatboy or deluxe tree so you get the mounts or fab it to your current tree
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...dlight-nacelle
Here is the risers that the kit says is required, I ordered these also since the Street slammer bars that were on it had built in risers. The risers look like regular 1" risers so I assume if you had a separate riser setup on your bike then these would not be needed. Also if your running taller risers then the steel riser cover would not be able to be used.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-train-nacelle
here is the headlamp we are running
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/led-headlamp

Last edited by piper1978; 02-14-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Night Train Build