Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unstable at Highway Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:44 AM
danny1975
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Unstable at Highway Speeds

I have an 08 Softail Deluxe, all stock, and I took it out for about a 100 mile interstate ride yesterday. First time I've gone that fast for that long in a straight line! I'm usually commuting through town or riding the country roads around here. The bike seemed rather unstable at 75-80 mph. The lightest touch on the handlebars made the bike lean, and even wobble ever so slightly. In town it feels solid as a rock... On the highway, not so much.

This is the first motorcycle I've actually owned and the only one I've ridden for any real duration so I don't really have anything to compare it to. Is this just the way these bikes are? Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:56 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since its your first bike, it may be you that is unstable, not the bike.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Not exactly sure. First make sure the tires have the right pressure in them. The only other thing I can think of is you may need to check the torque on the forks. I had an issue with that on my bike and the bike felt like it wanted to head for the pavement in turns and felt squirmy running down the highway. Once I got that fixed it has been solid a a rock. If the forks arent right they will twist, and in a turn in particular, it will give you that pucker factor.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:13 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Also have your spokes checked. '08 are notorious for loose spokes.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:23 AM
danny1975
Advanced

It totally could be me and not the bike! Perhaps I'm just not used to the ease at which the bike maneuvers going that fast.

And it's funny you mention the forks. When I'm going straight the handlebars and tree are slightly left of center. I did some searching and it seems that there are lots of others with that issue and as long as the bike tracks ok then it's nothing to worry about. It doesn't pull either direction and the wear on the tires is even as far as I can tell. I've been wanting to get it straightened though, mostly because it bugs me. I guess I should get that fixed and have the whole alignment checked on the bike. And the spokes while I'm at it. Could the instability be caused by the spokes? The bike doesn't shake or anything like a poorly balanced wheel. It's smooth as can be.. Just a little squirrely.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

The thing is, on bikes, the faster you go the more stable they are because the wheels act like gyroscopes. The faster you go the harder it is to change their direction, thus more stable. I'm also assuming you weren't on grooved pavement. All bikes squirm on that road surface. Mine is an 07 so we essentially have the same bike. Since you say it's your first bike, how many miles have you got under your belt?

Your handling description sounds very close to how my bike handled and that's what makes me think forks. Except for one thing. You didn't mention how it feels in turns, particularly lower speed turns. Like I said, on mine, it felt like it wanted to head for the pavement. A rather disturbing feeling too I might add.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 02-10-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:53 AM
danny1975
Advanced

That's exactly what I thought.. Faster = more stable. Which has been my experience except above 70. It sure seems way easier at highway speed. Still, maybe it's me. Guess I'll have to take another ride to check it out.

And nope, not on grooved pavement. All smooth blacktop. Or as smooth as a Louisiana road can be!

Old 02-10-2014, 10:15 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I have noticed that my Heritage is much more touchy at speed than my Limited. That being said, it is probably partly your issue. Loosen up on the bars and relax. Newer riders can really put to much effort into holding onto the bars. As said earlier the bike acts like a gyroscope. It wants to go straight. If there is an issue with stability it is usually rider error.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:01 AM
VigilantOutlaw
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

When I bought my 2007 Deluxe (new) it seemed to have a wobble in it at higher speeds. I also noticed when the wheel was straight the right side of the handlebar looked like it was pulled back maybe a half inch or so.

It wasn't until I installed my Burly beach bars I noticed the riser bushing on the right side was crushed. After insalling the beach bars and a new set of riser bushings the bike didn't have the wobble in it, and the handlebars looked a hell of a lot better too.

Anyway, just another thing you might want to check.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

My 09 Heritage also seems a bit touchy at highway speeds.
I've gotten used to that, but it also has what I've been told is a typical "vibration" as well.
Prior to the Heritage, I've only ridden metric touring bikes so I'd had no Harley experience.

I just bought a Klock Werks windshield that I hope will give me more stability, deflect more wind for my Wife and help a bit with the vibration.

Anyway, I think what you're feeling is normal.

Last edited by Bluraven; 02-10-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Unstable at Highway Speeds