Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Harley, buying a Breakout, thoughts? Pics of yours?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:23 PM
jmacsyodaddy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Harley, buying a Breakout, thoughts? Pics of yours?

Hey guys,
New to the boards here, the forums have been great, I've been reading through the past week or so.

I am 6'4'' 250lb with minimal experience on a bike. Grew up on dirt bikes/snowmobiles/quads. Made a terrible impulse buy last year and bought a Can-Am Spyder (you are welcome to rip on me, wouldn't be the first )

After taking my Motorcycle Safety 3 day course last summer as suggested by some friend I knew I had made a bad decision with the Can-Am. Motorcycle was so much more fun and what I should have bought.

Anyways, I decided on a Harley, it was a no-brainer. I just don't want to make another wrong decision.

I sat and played around on everything at local Harley dealer. I really like Breakout and the Slim. Super Glide also felt nice and Fat Boy did too. I narrowed it down to Breakout and Slim, and have decided to go with the Breakout. It just feels good and I love the look.

Any other taller/bigger guys on a Breakout out there? Or anyone in general, thoughts on your Breakout? Or suggestions on another Harley? I'd even appreciate some Breakout pics..

Sorry for the long post, look forward to connecting with you all !

Jon

Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think you can go wrong with any Softail model. My first motorcycle was a Sportster, and I traded it in last year for a Slim.

Check out this thread. It has plenty of pictures of the Breakout.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ut-thread.html

Old 02-10-2014, 08:42 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm not going to rip on you for the can am because buying it was punishment enough The slim is the coolest old school bobber there is but for someone as tall as you it probably won't be that comfortable. The breakout gives your legs more stretched and the breakout is wicked cool.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:41 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spend 200$ and do the arlen ness 3inch kit that moves the pegs fwd being tall it will be the the 200$ u ever spent

Old 02-10-2014, 11:58 PM
Todd1113
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm 6'1" and wouldn't mind the pegs being a little bit futher forward but they aren't bad stock.

Attached Thumbnails First Harley, buying a Breakout, thoughts?  Pics of yours?-hd2.jpg  
Old 02-11-2014, 04:08 AM
jmacsyodaddy
3rd Gear

Appreciate the feedback. I really like the Bobber look of the Slim. Its such a tough call, but I love the rear tire and low sit of the Breakout.

Yes, Can-Am brand new last year $19,200 out the door, 10 months later barely worth $12k. Thats called a STUPID buy. Lost my shirt on that.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:31 AM
BlessedHellride
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 6'6" here

Hey, I'm 6'6" 250 lbs, and have modified my breakout for just the way you will want it (and need it, really), and the best part is IT'S FOR SALE!! $16,200 and its yours, i'm just looking to pay it off. I fell for a bagger, so this vivid black 2013 Breakout with 1420 gently driven miles on it would just be sitting in the garage most of the time. I'd prefer it went to a good home where it will get the attention it deserves. It has HD 10" mini apes w/ upgraded HD cables and Arlen Ness 3" foot control extensions to get us taller guys stretched out and comfortable. Bassani 3" Firepower slip on mufflers give it that HD sound while retaining the stock heat shields (if you like the stock look). Other than that it is stock, and ready for you to put your personal mods to it. I also have all of the original parts to put it back to stock. Save a ton over new, but even if you do buy a new one you will love the Breakout. If you're interested and want to go thru eBay for buyer protection or whatever, it's out there.
Welcome to the family.

Attached Thumbnails First Harley, buying a Breakout, thoughts?  Pics of yours?-breakout-left.jpg   First Harley, buying a Breakout, thoughts?  Pics of yours?-breakout-left-rear.jpg   First Harley, buying a Breakout, thoughts?  Pics of yours?-breakout-right-rear.jpg   First Harley, buying a Breakout, thoughts?  Pics of yours?-breakout-right.jpg  
Old 02-11-2014, 06:08 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Looks like a score on BlessedHellrides Breakout.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:41 AM
BlessedHellride
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dansax
Looks like a score on BlessedHellrides Breakout.
It really is! I mean, $2K under current MSRP, with mods that a taller dude would eventually get around to doing? Saving on parts and labor? even if some DIY'er buys it an puts the stock stuff back on, it's still a great score. I'm getting really stupid low ball offers of like $12K on eBay, what are these ppl thinking?
It's a deal over any new model he were to buy, really. Slim, fatboy. Since he's new to HD, and being taller, my guess is once he learns about apes and other mods...lookout.
Either way jmac, good luck on your decision and enjoy the hell out of it, we know you will.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:23 AM
jmacsyodaddy
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
Hey, I'm 6'6" 250 lbs, and have modified my breakout for just the way you will want it (and need it, really), and the best part is IT'S FOR SALE!! $16,200 and its yours, i'm just looking to pay it off. I fell for a bagger, so this vivid black 2013 Breakout with 1420 gently driven miles on it would just be sitting in the garage most of the time. I'd prefer it went to a good home where it will get the attention it deserves. It has HD 10" mini apes w/ upgraded HD cables and Arlen Ness 3" foot control extensions to get us taller guys stretched out and comfortable. Bassani 3" Firepower slip on mufflers give it that HD sound while retaining the stock heat shields (if you like the stock look). Other than that it is stock, and ready for you to put your personal mods to it. I also have all of the original parts to put it back to stock. Save a ton over new, but even if you do buy a new one you will love the Breakout. If you're interested and want to go thru eBay for buyer protection or whatever, it's out there.
Welcome to the family.
Sounds like a great deal and I appreciate the offer. The real problem I have right now is I have a 2012 Can-Am which Harley is taking in on trade. The Can-Am has been a tough sell. I too have been getting the ridiculous low-ball offers, probably worse then you as the Spyder really has a bad resale value the first 3 years. The closest Harley dealer to me happens to also be a BRP/Skidoo dealer and they are familiar with Can-Am and have offered me the best trade-in of anyone.

I have my Can-Am on Craigslist and Cycle Trader. I had it on Ebay last fall and it was a mess. I've gotten little to no action on it as of late, partly because of time of year, but partly because its just not a hot seller. If something changes I will let you know. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: First Harley, buying a Breakout, thoughts? Pics of yours?