Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing passing lights and relocating front turn signals. Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:20 PM
DigbyHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing passing lights and relocating front turn signals. Heritage

Anyone remove the passing lights and relocated their front turn signals with the smaller bullet style- either on the handlebars or forks.

my question is is this possible without doing alot of wiring or can i snip my turn signal lights off and just wire in the new ones?
I know the cable will have at least 3 wires because the aux/passing lights.

Thanks

Old 02-21-2014, 02:32 PM
DigbyHD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DigbyHD
Anyone remove the passing lights and relocated their front turn signals with the smaller bullet style- either on the handlebars or forks.

my question is is this possible without doing alot of wiring or can i snip my turn signal lights off and just wire in the new ones?

Thanks
Anyone?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:18 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

I moved the turns off the bars and onto forks. Then bought aux lights of a RK and removed turns from forks and added turns under aux lights and aux light mounting bar. You can cut the wires. Or, remove front tank bolt and x over fuel line and lift front of tank up. The wire plugs are near front of tank.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:47 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As Kuma said above, most people I know have gone the other way by adding them, not removing but the process is fairly similar.

The running lights and signals are both wired in the same harness so there is some wire removal if you want a running light delete, but in either case, there is going to be some connector disassembly or wire cut and splice.

Honestly I'm not sure having the connectors removed would help at all since the headlight is also in there.

I would also differ from above in that I would remove the front bolt and rear bolt for the tank and leave that damn crossover alone. You have to have the seat off to remove the rear bolt but once the seat and bolts are out of the way, you should be able to just slide the tank to the rear enough to get at the connectors. This might be needed in any case since it will give you more room behind the nacelle to work.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:43 AM
erbssr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, they are spotlights not passing lights & secondly, why would you remove them? I have been riding since 1957 & I can tell you one thing I have learned. The more lights the better. I keep my spots on ALL the time.
Just my opinion.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:46 PM
8ntsane
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should be easy enough to do. If I was doing that, I would just remove the passing lights complete with turn signals. The tins on the sides should come off easy enough to get at the wireing. You probably want to do your wireing in a hidden area, and not snip the wires up at the signals. Mine has the wires for the signals and passing light together, yours may be different.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by erbssr
First off, they are spotlights not passing lights & secondly, why would you remove them? I have been riding since 1957 & I can tell you one thing I have learned. The more lights the better. I keep my spots on ALL the time.
Just my opinion.
The parts manual refers to them as Passing Lamps.

The little label on the switch says Spot.

Originally Posted by DigbyHD

Thanks
Although some assume all bikes are just like theirs, there are differences...

What model year is the bike?

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 02-22-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:39 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by fcsallan
As Kuma said above, most people I know have gone the other way by adding them, not removing but the process is fairly similar.

The running lights and signals are both wired in the same harness so there is some wire removal if you want a running light delete, but in either case, there is going to be some connector disassembly or wire cut and splice.

Honestly I'm not sure having the connectors removed would help at all since the headlight is also in there.

I would also differ from above in that I would remove the front bolt and rear bolt for the tank and leave that damn crossover alone. You have to have the seat off to remove the rear bolt but once the seat and bolts are out of the way, you should be able to just slide the tank to the rear enough to get at the connectors. This might be needed in any case since it will give you more room behind the nacelle to work.
My bike has the braided SS fuel xover. No wiggle room or play to lift tank without removing it but it unbolts from tank unlike the stock rubber xover.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:33 PM
zyonsdream
Tourer

Yes, you can simply cut the turn signal wires and splice in new ones that reach to your desired relocation point. You can also cap off the additional wires for the passing lamps.

However, I'll give one caution... do not make any cuts or deletions that cannot be easily corrected. Also, don't sell the parts you take off. Anyone buying a Heritage will want the old setup and you will simply hurt your resale value by leaving it the way you want it.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:11 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
My bike has the braided SS fuel xover. No wiggle room or play to lift tank without removing it but it unbolts from tank unlike the stock rubber xover.
I also have the braided line, there is no need to lift, just slide rearward.

Quick Reply: Removing passing lights and relocating front turn signals. Heritage