Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consultation over which SE tuner to go with

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 12:09 PM
AMubaslat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consultation over which SE tuner to go with

I thought to ask my fellow HDF members given the lack of clarity in the information I'm getting from our local harley dealer (Kuwait)

I got V&H Big Shots Long pipes to go with V&H naked air cleaner for my 2012 Deluxe.

Initially I was under the impression that the dealer will have the tools and capabilities to do the required tuning after mounting the pipes and AC. However, they are telling me that I need to get the "SE Pro Super Tuner" to get my bike tuned properly. They say any non-SE tuner will void the bike warrantee.

When I asked if the SE Street Tuner (almost half the price) would do the job, their words were "it's not recommended and we never did it".

Now my questions are:
- Do I really need the Tuner? I read something about some remapping that dealer can do.
- will the SE Street Tuner do the job?

All I want is to get my bike tuned the way it should. I have no plans to take it to the race track or the likes.

Thanks for your guidance in advance.
-AM

Old 02-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Texas_Cornhusker
6th Gear

Yes they need the tuner to tune the bike. Go with the pro tuner it allows more options to be tuned and if you add anything in the future the pro can tune it. Like cams ect. I have the se pro on my bike and I like it. Another option is the thundermax with auto tune. Its closed looped and you do the tuning or it can tune itself. It costs more but worth it. Its basically a ecm replacement.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:47 PM
509Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the SE race tuner, had it dyno tuned it was like a new bike.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have SE Pro Super Tuner and works fine. Depending on what kind of AC and exhaust you have installed, you may need a proper dyno tune 'cause standard SE maps sometimes need to be "fine tuned". Anyway, if I remember well (but check this) what I read on the SE Catalog, Street Tuner should allow to maintain the warranty while Pro Super Tuner shouldn't. That said, often happens that dealers use Pro Super Tuner and keep the warranty valid. Basically they often simply download standard maps so the difference between the two tuners is reduced to the minimum.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:52 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

AMubaslat,

I worked in Kuwait for close to 8 years and know your Harley Dealership very well.

Harley's SE tuners are not my first choice. The SE Pro can properly dial-in the engine when using its advanced mode in conjunction with a dyno machine and a skilled technician. Your dealership had neither the equipment or talent when I was last there. The SE Pro Tuner software does have a selection of Maps to select from but I've found that the pre-written Maps lack the proper performance parameters. My recommended tuning device is the Power Vision. Your dealership however has you over a barrel in that they will in-fact not honor a warrantee even if the failure is not related to an aftermarket tuner.

I forget the name of the shop but there is a Custom Bike Pro Shop about a kilometer from the Harley dealership in Dubai. Harley Dubai can provide you with their contact details. You might want to talk to them just for information purposes.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:29 PM
07 chopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the V&H Fuel pack?

Old 02-17-2014, 11:54 PM
AMubaslat
Cruiser

Thank you all for the replies.

I get it, a tuner is actually require. U fortunately it will have to be the SE Pro in order to maintain the warrantee.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:56 PM
AMubaslat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nostradamus74
I have SE Pro Super Tuner and works fine. Depending on what kind of AC and exhaust you have installed, you may need a proper dyno tune 'cause standard SE maps sometimes need to be "fine tuned". Anyway, if I remember well (but check this) what I read on the SE Catalog, Street Tuner should allow to maintain the warranty while Pro Super Tuner shouldn't. That said, often happens that dealers use Pro Super Tuner and keep the warranty valid. Basically they often simply download standard maps so the difference between the two tuners is reduced to the minimum.
Spot on. That's exactly what I think my dealer will end up doing.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:01 AM
AMubaslat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by olongapo1
AMubaslat,

I worked in Kuwait for close to 8 years and know your Harley Dealership very well.

Harley's SE tuners are not my first choice. The SE Pro can properly dial-in the engine when using its advanced mode in conjunction with a dyno machine and a skilled technician. Your dealership had neither the equipment or talent when I was last there. The SE Pro Tuner software does have a selection of Maps to select from but I've found that the pre-written Maps lack the proper performance parameters. My recommended tuning device is the Power Vision. Your dealership however has you over a barrel in that they will in-fact not honor a warrantee even if the failure is not related to an aftermarket tuner.

I forget the name of the shop but there is a Custom Bike Pro Shop about a kilometer from the Harley dealership in Dubai. Harley Dubai can provide you with their contact details. You might want to talk to them just for information purposes.
Thank you olongapo1,

I believe you know the dilemma we are in dealing with our local harley. There are lots of good service shops around, but then again, warrantee is void if we do anything outside harley

I guess at some point I will have to forget about the warrantee. The question is how soon.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:03 AM
AMubaslat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 07 chopper
What about the V&H Fuel pack?
Checked with them on this one. Same thing, it voids the warrantee. Sad as it may, but this is it around here.

Quick Reply: Consultation over which SE tuner to go with