Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound system

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:57 PM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious, but like a poster said above, why not iPod with in helmet speakers or custom fitted ear phones?

Even without a helmet, I have used the custom fitted ear phones with an iPod in my shirt pocket or with magnetic mount on tank for years. It sounds better than any other system I've tried at any speed. Each to their own, but I've never understood why folks wouldn't use the earphones that are made expressly for your own ears rather than having external speakers that have to compeet with wind noise.

I know, I know the ear phones are illegal in some states, but that's never slowed down anyone.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:26 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

For a passenger, the ipod/earbuds thing is ok. As a rider though, they suck. Trying to keep them in (especially with a helmet), screwing with the volume, etc. is really not worth the effort IMHO. As I've said before, you name it, I've tried it. Earbuds, Bluetooth, helmet speakers (Sena SMH10). Hell, I even bought a bagger (GASP) and upgraded the system on it. Nothing beats having bar mounted controls and the ability to hop on and go without screwing around with anything. With the advancements in technology, I look forward to each new generation of improvements in motorcycle audio!

Old 02-19-2014, 04:43 PM
Scootluver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was always a firm believer on the headphones but had a really bad experience a few months ago. Had a copper trying to stop me for about a mile or two, sirens and all but couldn't here them cuz had the Bose inner ear buds blaring (awesome sound by the way). He pulled along side of me and finally got my attention. He said he was getting ready to call out a pursuit and start out the troops. I apologized and said I had earphones on. He was cool cuz he was a rider himself but it potentially could of ended a lot worse. Since then I installed a custom setup with 6.5 midwoofer/tweeter combo attached to my crash guards. Way better then the smaller boom or other small handlebar speakers with a small internal amp.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:10 PM
mjb765
Tourer

The previous post is exactly why I don't like the earbuds thing...you can't always hear what is going on around you and that could be dangerous.

She likes her Deluxe or else I would have bought her a street glide like I have.

She only wears a 1/2 helmet and for the rider I don't like the idea of the earbuds.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't know anyone who has used those speakers, so I have no feedback on them. The CrankCase volume control that is on that sight is what I have been using for a number of years now. It looks nice and works good with one exception, it gets scratchy. I have pulled it apart and cleaned it a few times. It seems to get scratchy faster now than it used to. I picked up a push button volume control from Cycle Sounds that looks like it should be a good one (easy to use). I want to hook it up to my handlebar controls,,,,we'll see how that goes. A little food for thought if you are going to add a volume control.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Elmwood Deluxe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootluver
I was always a firm believer on the headphones but had a really bad experience a few months ago. Had a copper trying to stop me for about a mile or two, sirens and all but couldn't here them cuz had the Bose inner ear buds blaring (awesome sound by the way). He pulled along side of me and finally got my attention. He said he was getting ready to call out a pursuit and start out the troops. I apologized and said I had earphones on. He was cool cuz he was a rider himself but it potentially could of ended a lot worse. Since then I installed a custom setup with 6.5 midwoofer/tweeter combo attached to my crash guards. Way better then the smaller boom or other small handlebar speakers with a small internal amp.
Do you happen to have a picture,... was thinking about the same idea on my bike just curious as to how it looks.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:15 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

here is a shot of my fork bag stereo mounted on your style scoot. Works great, VERY loud and clear. Best part is no mickey mouse ears off your bars!

Old 02-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Scootluver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Elmwood Deluxe
Do you happen to have a picture,... was thinking about the same idea on my bike just curious as to how it looks.

Here you go bro, focal 6.5 midwoofer/tweeter combo

Old 02-20-2014, 06:50 PM
CB1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you mount those in? Off road light housing? Do you have a a full install post on here or a link if you ordered them? I like that set up. I have been flirting with the idea of setting something up on my crash bars, but have only found one set up that uses 6.5s and it is for a road king crash bar. Not sure if the softail crash bar is the same dimensions and plus I have a Lindby bar anyways. I keep using the set up I talked about earlier, since it has been the best option I have found outside of getting a fairing. I hate to do that cause I like the look of my bike the way it is.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:54 PM
patharley
Tourer

Where did you get that setup ?

Quick Reply: Sound system