Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cycle Trader Scam BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Don Cronaueri
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cycle Trader Scam BEWARE!

All, I posted my bike on Cycle trader yesterday in a attempt to get more than the local stealer wanted to give me. That same day I recieved a text from a gentleman who claimed to be working overseas and after some negotiations wanted to purchase my ride via paypal. We again negotiated and he agreed to pay the fees (2.9%) and that was that. Fortunately I used my company email and it blocked his attempt to send me an email and we went back and forth via texts that he had put the funds into my paypal account. I just figured it was taking time for his funds to clear. Later that night I got a similar email requesting purchase of my bike and them wanting to use paypal and included a link in the email for paypal. I'm a little slow but this set off all the alarms. I called paypal security and they confirmed my fears that the first text was most likely a scam. I also have been in contact with Cycle Trader and they have been very cavalier about the whole thing. I reminded them that criminal were targeting their website and their customers and questioned what was their plan to protect future customers. No repsonse as yet. Just want my brothers to be aware, paypal advised this was a known problem and what criminals do is after they post the funds they call their credit card and dispute the transaction. Paypal advised that as a seller you have no protection when it comes to vehicles. So my friends, bottom line I was lucky and want to avoid anyone else getting sucked into this trap.

The following users liked this post:
Care (04-27-2016)
Old 02-19-2014, 01:53 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Don, I realize your post is with good intention but this is a scam that is so widely known I am surpised you haven't heard of it previously. In the future I would wait for the Nigerian Prince who can't get his money out of the country to respond so you know the funds are solid.

The following 3 users liked this post by OKMICK:
Campy Roadie (07-10-2019), FattyMcJ (07-10-2019), Scudda (07-10-2019)
Old 02-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Scootluver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Don, I realize your post is with good intention but this is a scam that is so widely known I am surpised you haven't heard of it previously. In the future I would wait for the Nigerian Prince who can't get his money out of the country to respond so you know the funds are solid.

LOL! Exactly how I was going to respond. Waiting for the Nigerian prince to purchase the scooter after you help him clear his funds through customs by pay the custom's fees.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Robbysride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Nigerian prince is totally legit.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:08 PM
cbaywolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not sure what you would want (expect) Cycle Trader to do with this information. It's your responsibility to make sure a seller pays for the goods- not theirs. But hopefully this will make some gullible people more aware- If you don't have a cashiers check, I would always wait about a week to make sure the funds clear- just common sense.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:11 PM
Elmwood Deluxe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post it on craigslist,... guarantee you'll get 50 more scams identical to this lol,.. sorry man but this is the oldest scam in the book.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:35 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Cronaueri
...I reminded them that criminal were targeting their website and their customers and questioned what was their plan to protect future customers. No repsonse as yet...
Ask the NSA, I'm sure they know who these people are...

Old 02-19-2014, 02:41 PM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've sold about 4 bikes on Craigslist, but the scammers were out in droves. Not with PayPal, but replies saying they wanted to buy the bike so would I send them my bank info so they could wire the money.

If anyone says I want to buy, sight unseen, be careful. Cash is the only way to go. I say "Cash Only-No Checks" in my ads.

The following users liked this post:
Care (04-27-2016)
Old 02-19-2014, 03:39 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,102 Posts

I guess I'm a little slow. I've never heard of it. Thanks for the warning, me and the rest of the goomers...

Old 02-19-2014, 04:52 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I only sell big ticket items like that face to face unless they're through e-bay.

Quick Reply: Cycle Trader Scam BEWARE!