Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a softail look like a rigid bobber and still be cool?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 05:38 PM
IntenseMuscle
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can a softail look like a rigid bobber and still be cool?

I love rigids. I love how they look and I love the ride - even on long day rides through the mountains. However, the carburation is constantly an issue for me here in Colorado with changing elevation and the last carburated rigid I had last year was nothing but problems. I swear it was only THAT bike but my buddies are pissed that I am considering building a new one for this year.

My question is two fold:

1. Can I convert a blackline to a bobber look (massive mods) with a springer front end, larger front tire, strip the rear fender off and mod it, bobber seat, etc. without it looking stupid because it isn't a "true" rigid?

2. Is there anyone reading this that rides only rigids and doesn't have problems with them over longer distances? I don't need to tour on it but I need to make long day rides without it having issues.

Any information is helpful. Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Skip

Old 03-09-2014, 06:04 PM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Softails are made to look like rigids from the factory due to the hidden rear shocks. You may want to start with the Crossbones as your base to build from.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:07 PM
IntenseMuscle
Advanced

I had considered that but it is so bulky - even the springer is the heavier/thicker one.

I was thinking more along the lines of a blackline. The mods alone would be roughly 11k to get it to the point that I want it.

Skip

Old 03-09-2014, 06:59 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Why are you limiting yourself to a new Sloptail? Find a 2006 or so with FI. Strip it down and fix it up and it will cost way less than a new one that you're going to do the same to. And are you doing the work, or farming it out?

I have an '87 Sloptail Heritage that has been stripped, then set up like I wanted. Has a '99 Evo crate motor with an S&S, suicide clutch, jockey shift, Baker tranny, semi-open Primo belt primary, home-made stainless drag bars, and several seats ranging from a pogo-type cop seat, to a Baas-made solo seat pan, and also a LePera Cherokee. Front and rear brakes are operated off handlebar master cylinder through a proportioning valve.

I just bought an '06 Sloptail Fat Boy with a Stage III and way more chrome than I normally deal with. It has 10,000 miles on it. HD custom paint. Got it for $8500. It is being set up as a tourer - sissy bar/luggage rack, fairing, different bars, and a few more pieces of "touring" stuff.

That means the '87 is coming apart for "refinement", LOL. It'll be set up as a solo bike, and I am going to strut it to get the frame top rail/swingarm top rail to be a straight line. Yeah, it won't be as simple and clean looking as a true rigid frame, but part of thought process for the project is to do the stuff with only hand tools (+ a drill press) and no welding. Just something to have fun with...

Plenty of ways to do the rigid/bobber deal, and they don't have to involve tons of money. At any rate, good luck with whatever you decide, and have fun!

Old 03-10-2014, 04:54 AM
IntenseMuscle
Advanced

I have to get Harley to do all of the mods. I don't have the first clue so that is why I was going to go new because I do plan to keep it for the long haul.

Going with an older model makes sense and likely WOULD save a lot of money.

Thanks for the info.

Skip

Old 03-10-2014, 05:47 AM
rafael53
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cheapest, quickest and the only way you'll get a softail to look close to a rigid IMO is to throw some saddle bags over it to hide that fricking gap bewteen rear fender and tire....and paint struts same color as frame and fender. Again, IMO.

I do like rigids but don't like the look of bobbers.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:04 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Skinny front tire springers are out there.
Hardtail frames are available in the aftermarket as well. Check out the back pages of American Iron Mag. Pick up a frame and a donor bike and swap the running gear. Just an option.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:29 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,193 Likes on 938 Posts

If you are going to spend the money you should check out Brass ***** Cycles. They make some really nice soft tail bobbers.....

http://www.brassballscycles.com/

Old 03-10-2014, 07:02 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

If you are going to buy this bike brand new and pay the dealer to strip it down and change it to what you want, why not just find a custom builder that will build you a fuel injected hardtail? Seems like you could probably do it for less money, and get exactly what you want.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:02 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Quick Reply: Can a softail look like a rigid bobber and still be cool?