Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

160 tyre on a Softail Slim?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 01:00 PM
stef75
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
No it won't.
So what are you trying to say excatly?

Old 03-12-2014, 01:10 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

If you've got 7" or more between your inner fender struts, it'll fit. You might get some interference with the plastic splash guard, but that's easy enough to fix.

The bike in my signature picture is running an 18"x4.25" wheel with a ME880 160/60R18. If the frame's the same on the back of a Slim (and I can't imagine cheap-assed Harley doing a different frame), it'll fit with room to spare.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:29 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Wont fit to spare

Old 03-12-2014, 04:06 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

haha.

I just like farking with you guys who are in a hurry to turn your Slims into Fatboys. Plus, I've been a jerk since my accident. I need a Snickers.

The OP asked if you can do it without other mods. A new wheel is a mod, and that is definitely needed.

This is the deal in a larger context:

The 150 I have on my Slim has about a half inch of clearance in the right hand side of the fender. A little more on the left, since all tires are offset a little on Softails.

You can try a 160, but I think the reason nobody has is because at that point you are pushing it in terms of clearance. I half thought I'd get some tire rub with the 150, but I have not.

The 150 fills out the fender nicely. But if you want to try to fill it out even more, go ahead and try the 160. Hope you don't get any tire rub. Plus, you have to change the wheel for sure.

There's another consideration besides aesthetics, fit, and a wheel change, to be honest. With the stock 140, the Slim handles a little like it's on skates. Real quick and nimble. With a 150, a little more stability and still fleet of foot. I like it there.

A 160 and fatter wheel? Well, it may not matter. But I think at that point you may be impacting the performance of the bike. The fatter the rear tire, the slower, less responsive the bike.

It's called a Slim for a reason, after all. Just my 2 centavos.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 03-12-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 PM
stef75
2nd Gear

haha.

I just like farking with you guys who are in a hurry to turn your Slims into Fatboys. Plus, I've been a jerk since my accident. I need a Snickers.

The OP asked if you can do it without other mods. A new wheel is a mod, and that is definitely needed.

This is the deal in a larger context:

The 150 I have on my Slim has about a half inch of clearance in the right hand side of the fender. A little more on the left, since all tires are offset a little on Softails.

You can try a 160, but I think the reason nobody has is because at that point you are pushing it in terms of clearance. I half thought I'd get some tire rub with the 150, but I have not.

The 150 fills out the fender nicely. But if you want to try to fill it out even more, go ahead and try the 160. Hope you don't get any tire rub. Plus, you have to change the wheel for sure.

There's another consideration besides aesthetics, fit, and a wheel change, to be honest. With the stock 140, the Slim handles a little like it's on skates. Real quick and nimble. With a 150, a little more stability and still fleet of foot. I like it there.

A 160 and fatter wheel? Well, it may not matter. But I think at that point you may be impacting the performance of the bike. The fatter the rear tire, the slower, less responsive the bike.

It's called a Slim for a reason, after all. Just my 2 centavos.

Thanks for the info, No offence but I don't think wanting to add a bigger rear tire has anything to do with wanting my Slim to look like a fatboy. I simply think a fatter rear tire looks better on my bike, I never said anything about putting a 200 on the back. Not everybody has to agree but that's what makes us all different, it's my bike I'll do what I want with it. Each to his own as they say.
Anyway hope your back on a bike soon, be safe.

The following users liked this post:
Southpaw1746 (10-09-2021)
Old 03-19-2014, 02:01 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

You be safe too on your Fatboy. I mean, Slim.

Just messing with you, man. Of course you should do what you want with your bike. That's a given.

The answer is you can't do it without another mod: changing your wheel. And then you are still relying on math, instead of actually hitting the road, to know if the 160 will or won't cause rubbing on the stock fender. I would guess that's why nobody has done it.

I haven't done it just because I don't want a 160 to change the ride and I think it might at that point. I like the way the Slim handles with a 140, even a little better with a 150.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 03-19-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:21 PM
stef75
2nd Gear

Hahahah, 150 it is then.

I'd Rather spend the money on other mods, I'm going to repaint it from Candy orange to a Military green or British racing green and re-upholster the seat to brown leather, I'll post some pics when it's done.

Thanks again.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:42 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by stef75
Hahahah, 150 it is then.

I'd Rather spend the money on other mods, I'm going to repaint it from Candy orange to a Military green or British racing green and re-upholster the seat to brown leather, I'll post some pics when it's done.

Thanks again.
I'm kinda that way too, if a mod gets to be too much trouble, there's little benefit to the ride, and takes away money for other mods, I move on.

That said, I bet someone will do a 160 eventually. I really was just funnin' you, and there's nothing wrong with a Slim taking on a different look. I'm just kidding about the Fatboy thing, and a Fatboy is one of my favorite Harleys anyway!

A 160 would look cool. Better IMHO than a 200, and almost certainly better for handling. But maybe not worth the trouble.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:05 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

That said, I bet someone will do a 160 eventually.
Here's guy who's doing it right now (with a wheel change).
Start at the top of the page and read down...

Old 03-21-2014, 11:04 AM
stef75
2nd Gear

Bike is in for it's 1000 mile service, decided on a 150 tire and yes SoCalSoftailSlim you were right, 160 won't fit without mods. I'll find out what size exactly and post pics when I pick it up.

Quick Reply: 160 tyre on a Softail Slim?