Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did Vance and Hines just blow away all tuners on the market?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:41 AM
rrp777
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought and installed before I realized auto tune features doesn't function with 2011 models. I wish they had advertised that fact.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:52 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rrp777
Bought and installed before I realized auto tune features doesn't function with 2011 models. I wish they had advertised that fact.
Does your bike use the full can-bus system?
They only just rolled it out in the last few years, and finally on all models in 2014:

"..Harley-Davidson is now using Can-Bus to monitor operation of the headlight, taillight, brake light and the signals in some cases on some 2011- 2013 models and then beginning with all models in 2014..."

..and V&H kinda did advertise that...
Their FP3 homepage says: "..FuelPak FP3 - for 2014 Harley-Davidson models..."
Did you call and talk to V&H Sales/Tech before you ordered it?

Last edited by jam436; 04-13-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:37 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

If it wasn't a can bus system I don't think the fuelpak would plug into it, unless they are shipping them with 4 pin and 6 pin plugs?

Last edited by 24v; 04-13-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 PM
rrp777
Novice

Actually it says it is for can-bus softail models 2011 thru 2014. Nowhere in any advertisement does it say auto-tune only works on canbus models with 12mm O2 sensors 2012 -2014. Definitely misleading. Once you install you get a surprise message, No Auto-tune function this model. Here is the link to models and years for FP3 http://www.vanceandhines.com/store/vtwin/fuelpak/66005

Last edited by rrp777; 04-15-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:41 PM
oscar621
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Straight from the horse's mouth...

To avoid any confusion I emailed them about the FP3 and this was the response I got:

My original question:

Have heard conflicting reports about FP3 and want to get the truth. Will the FP3 work on a 2012 FLSTC and if so does the Autotune function work with this year & model as well? I plan on replacing exhaust and air filter but was unsure of what tuner to get because I was not real crazy about the idea of letting someone literally rev my bike to 6200RPM just to tune it, nor spending upwards of $1000 on the tuner that replaces your factory ECM with new O2 sensors that have to have new bungs welded in pipes.

I have seen bikes being tuned and the guys were not kind to the motors. I like the idea of having the ability to run unit with autotune enabled and let it tune to my riding habits. Mine has never seen anything past 3500 RPM and I am looking to get rid of decel popping and engine/exhaust heat only. Not real concerned with huge power gains, just that the engine runs cooler. The only mods I will ever make will be slip-ons and high flow air filter, and the only reason I am doing that is because everyone has told me that you have to have high flow air filter & pipes before you can tune. If it was OK to just use your product with a bone stock bike I would because I like the sound of the factory pipes, never cared for loud pipes anyway.

Thanks for your time...

Their response:

Steve,

You will be able to use the FP3 in auto tune, however if you have a basic set up like slip ons and intake we have canned maps that you will be able to use as well.

Thank you,
VANCE & HINES
13861 Rosecrans Ave. Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670 t.(562) 921-7461f.(562) 802-0110

Old 04-18-2014, 12:25 AM
Msmall
Tourer

You can absolutely tune a stock bike and notice a change in performance. Not sure who told you you need to be modded prior to tuning.

Originally Posted by oscar621
To avoid any confusion I emailed them about the FP3 and this was the response I got:

My original question:

Have heard conflicting reports about FP3 and want to get the truth. Will the FP3 work on a 2012 FLSTC and if so does the Autotune function work with this year & model as well? I plan on replacing exhaust and air filter but was unsure of what tuner to get because I was not real crazy about the idea of letting someone literally rev my bike to 6200RPM just to tune it, nor spending upwards of $1000 on the tuner that replaces your factory ECM with new O2 sensors that have to have new bungs welded in pipes.

I have seen bikes being tuned and the guys were not kind to the motors. I like the idea of having the ability to run unit with autotune enabled and let it tune to my riding habits. Mine has never seen anything past 3500 RPM and I am looking to get rid of decel popping and engine/exhaust heat only. Not real concerned with huge power gains, just that the engine runs cooler. The only mods I will ever make will be slip-ons and high flow air filter, and the only reason I am doing that is because everyone has told me that you have to have high flow air filter & pipes before you can tune. If it was OK to just use your product with a bone stock bike I would because I like the sound of the factory pipes, never cared for loud pipes anyway.

Thanks for your time...

Their response:

Steve,

You will be able to use the FP3 in auto tune, however if you have a basic set up like slip ons and intake we have canned maps that you will be able to use as well.

Thank you,
VANCE & HINES
13861 Rosecrans Ave. Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670 t.(562) 921-7461f.(562) 802-0110

Old 04-18-2014, 01:37 AM
smiddy28
Novice
Default Autotune problem

I installed the FuelPak FP3 a few days ago and I've been very pleased with the result. Runs cooler, better throttle response, no decel pop and tick-over is more stable; all this from the V&H canned map.

Running autotune presented problems which I eventually overcame; here's how. After flashing the canned map I decided to run the autotune function, I was told to select which map to autotune and I selected the canned map and the FP3 went ahead and flashed the ECM.

This is where it went wrong, the bike would not start, it turned over but would not fire, behaving as if it was out of fuel. My first action was to re-flash the canned map but the FP3 was now in autotune mode so would not allow me the access any installed maps. I selected autotune again and then selected to finish autotuning, I was now able to access the installed maps. I re-flashed the V&H canned map which worked I could now start the bike.

So what went wrong? The following day I attempted to run autotune again after using some of the other functions of the FP3, this produced the same result but this time I noted a message saying "the ECM flash was not completed", once again the bike would not start. After re-flashing the V&H map again and getting the bike running I turned off the engine and switched off the ignition. After waiting 30 seconds I turned on the ignition, waited a further 30 seconds for the FP3 to boot and then run the autotune option, this time the FP3 reported the flash was successful and the bike started.

In summary, it seams the FP3 autotune feature needs to be run without having previously run any other of the FP3 features for that session. My guess is this is an issue with the internal RAM of the FP3.

Can anyone confirm this?

Old 04-18-2014, 02:32 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

seems like auto tune is the same as smartune, both collect data and wait for you to update and flash. why do they call it auto tune if you have to manually do it? never mind.
so far it seems to be a direct competition for the HD street tuner, EPA compliant.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:59 PM
oscar621
Advanced

Originally Posted by Msmall
You can absolutely tune a stock bike and notice a change in performance. Not sure who told you you need to be modded prior to tuning.
Every website I visit and tuner page pretty much says you have to have at least a high flow air cleaner. I know the vance & hines FP LCD will work with stock exhaust but still needs a high flow air cleaner. Also most of the guys I have talked to doing tuning said that you do gain more airflow with a better ($275+) air filter, but just by opening up the airbox & installing a K & N will make a ton of difference as well.

I am currently working on modding a set of factory mufflers and will see how it goes. Like the sound, just not the exhaust heat.

Last edited by oscar621; 04-19-2014 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:11 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been running the FP3 for a while now and am very pleased. I have V&H Short Shots with quiet baffles and DK air cleaner. With the canned map, my bike runs cooler, smooth, seems to have more power and most important to me - no decel pop. I just shift when it feels right so I usually am not exactly sure what gear I am in. Since installing the FP3, I find I am in 6th gear more than ever before. I am happy with the canned map so I took the FP3 off my bike and retired it it my parts shelf. Life is good.

Last edited by mmcbeat; 04-18-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Did Vance and Hines just blow away all tuners on the market?