Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Shotgun Shock Installation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The compressor seems to be the worst part of the install for most everyone. It goes, just take your time. The second bike we installed one on was a breeze, having been through it once.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Yo Nadz
Tourer

I'm going to make a photo guide when I install on my breakout. Hopefully it helps.....nervous about the install, but I'm gonna give it my best.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Superrust
Glad to see this thread started. I just ordered the shock and considering I've never put something like this on a bike I know it's going to take a bit more time.
Originally Posted by Yo Nadz
I'm going to make a photo guide when I install on my breakout. Hopefully it helps.....nervous about the install, but I'm gonna give it my best.
Honestly, the hardest part for me was getting the bolt out of the shock. I already had to take my rear wheel off to do some modification to make the larger rear wheel and tire I shoe-horned in there fit better. I couldn't imagine doing this with the rear wheel on if those rear shock bolts are as tight on all bikes as they were on mine. Other than that, it's cake. I think the second longest part of the install was assembling the jack I bought the night before.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Old 03-19-2014, 07:19 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

The shock bolts are easy if you start with the right tools. Just put a closed end wrench on the bolt and let it hang straight down under the bike. Make sure it is square on the bolt, and give it a few whacks with a 5lb hammer. Should break free without even working up a sweat.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 24v
The shock bolts are easy if you start with the right tools. Just put a closed end wrench on the bolt and let it hang straight down under the bike. Make sure it is square on the bolt, and give it a few whacks with a 5lb hammer. Should break free without even working up a sweat.
I tried hammering at mine with a mallet with no luck. Once they were broken free one of the bolts still needed a massive amount of force to turn it.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:49 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

I wonder if you don't have something cross threaded then? I mean they all have a thread locker of some sort, but a "massive" amount of force just to turn it sounds like something else is wrong.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 24v
I wonder if you don't have something cross threaded then? I mean they all have a thread locker of some sort, but a "massive" amount of force just to turn it sounds like something else is wrong.
I thought that may be an issue too, but I checked the bolts and they looked fine. I don't think the shocks have ever been removed from the bike. I think that they've been in there for the 8-9 years the bike has been alive.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Yo Nadz
Tourer

Do you guys know what size those bolts are where the shock mounts?? 3/4"??? I've only got a basic closed end wrench set and may need to buy some larger sizes. I think I've got the sizes to conquere everything else. Hoping those bolts aren't too much of a b!tch since the bike is brand new.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:02 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Yep - there are already tons of Shotgun Shock install threads.

https://www.google.com/#q=shotgun+sh...stall+hdforums

Quick Reply: The Shotgun Shock Installation Thread