Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Shotgun Shock Installation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 04:25 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Yo Nadz
Do you guys know what size those bolts are where the shock mounts?? 3/4"??? I've only got a basic closed end wrench set and may need to buy some larger sizes. I think I've got the sizes to conquere everything else. Hoping those bolts aren't too much of a b!tch since the bike is brand new.
3/4" it is.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:19 PM
Yo Nadz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Awesome. Are the front and the back 3/4"?

Old 03-19-2014, 06:19 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Yo Nadz
Awesome. Are the front and the back 3/4"?
I don't remember about the front off the top of my head, but those are easier to get too and take off since you can go across the bike instead of front to back. I used a socket wrench on mine. Of course, I previously had them off to install lowering collars.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:01 PM
Yo Nadz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gotcha. Thanks!

Old 03-22-2014, 06:38 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

I'm having an issue with the shoulder bolts. It seems like they're not going in all the way. The end of the Shotgun that conntects to the swing arm is thinner than the same piece on the stock shock and there's some play in the washers there. I actually bent a wrench trying to get one of the bolts to go in farther. Has anyone else had an issue with this?

Old 03-22-2014, 08:04 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

There will be a gap, and the washers are not used anymore. Make sure you put locktite on them, tighten them, and that's it. The gap between the bolt head and the shock eyelet is normal.

BTW, settle down with the wrench over there tough guy. LOL If you ever have to tighten something so tight that you bend a wrench, you are definitely doing it wrong.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 24v
There will be a gap, and the washers are not used anymore. Make sure you put locktite on them, tighten them, and that's it. The gap between the bolt head and the shock eyelet is normal.

BTW, settle down with the wrench over there tough guy. LOL If you ever have to tighten something so tight that you bend a wrench, you are definitely doing it wrong.
Well, the issue is a cross threaded bolt. I went back and double checked and the side that is giving me issue is cross threaded. I'm going to attempt to remove the swing arm tomorrow and take it to my indie so he can fix it. Apparently the PO or whoever serviced the bike for him did it. It's an '06 and I bought it with about 12k miles on it back in '03. The bike was stick except for SE slip ons and SE air cleaner. And some small bolt ons. It looked like the PO didn't do anything at all to the bike so I assumed it couldn't have been cross threaded and was just a stubborn bolt. I was wrong.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:02 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

That sucks. I would get a new bolt, and try to run a tap up in there. Maybe you can save the threads?

Old 03-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 24v
That sucks. I would get a new bolt, and try to run a tap up in there. Maybe you can save the threads?
I'm just going to take it to my Indy and have him fix it. He's good with stuff like that.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Could the threads in the hole possibly be fine and just the bolt cross threaded?

Quick Reply: The Shotgun Shock Installation Thread