Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Shotgun Shock Installation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Default The Shotgun Shock Installation Thread

If we don't have one already, we should start one. What's that? A thread encompassing all the question about Shotgun Shock installs.

My question:
On my Deuce, I currently have the compressor bolted up to the under side of the transmission. There's about 1/2" gap between the compressor head and the transmission that it needs to be swiveled up yet, but as of now it doesn't look like there's a lot of clearance between the head of the compressor and the shock itself once it's lifted all the way. When that happens, should the shock completely clear the compressor? It won't rub at all will it?

It just looks like space is going to be very limited right now.

And for anyone that's doing the install themselves, breaking the rear bolts loose on the shocks sucks. I have an '06 Deuce that's probably never had them off. I had the rear wheel off the bike to trim bolts on the inner fender supports so my tire will clear and took off the dust guard to access them that way. Fortunately I could remove the fender easily because if not, I would not have been able to get the leverage to remove the bolts. I had a 3/4" wrench connected to the handle of a pipe bender via a heating element wrench for a hot water heater just to get enough leverage to break those bolts loose.

Last edited by Village Idiot™; 03-18-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Caesar9339
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I installed mine it did not look like it was going to fit but it did. You will have to loosen the black bracket to rotate the compressor enough to get it to fit. It is a snug fit. The rear shock bolts were not to hard to take off but I've heard some people have to use heat to warm the bolt. Once the compressor is rotated you will not have any clearance issues at all. Just make sure the flat side of the shock is facing the ground. I originally installed mine opposite and had to flip it the right way. I hope this helps. Feel free to hit me up for any more questions.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:08 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I have an 06 Deluxe so I'm not sure if it's the same or not but this will be my 3rd year with it on there and I have had 0, zero, issues with it. I am not 100% sure about this but I think klf33 had an issue but in the end he got it figured out too. Maybe you can hit him up.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:10 PM
arrowslinger1980
Tourer

Another upside down installer here! Everything is fairly easy. Just remember is it isn't going in fairly easy, something isn't right. step back, THINK, and keep going. I smashed the wires on my compressor a bit not having it slid to the right and rotated (in the bracket) when I first put it in there. Other than that I unbolted my rear gas tank bolt and pulled the tank up to run the wires in along the frame neatly.

Glad I didn't have to drill and tap any holes for the compressor mount.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:31 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by arrowslinger1980
Another upside down installer here! Everything is fairly easy. Just remember is it isn't going in fairly easy, something isn't right. step back, THINK, and keep going. I smashed the wires on my compressor a bit not having it slid to the right and rotated (in the bracket) when I first put it in there. Other than that I unbolted my rear gas tank bolt and pulled the tank up to run the wires in along the frame neatly.

Glad I didn't have to drill and tap any holes for the compressor mount.
This was easy. I ordered a u bit and 7/16 tap combo when I ordered the shock. The shock actually came with a tap so I didn't need the one I ordered. The holes were pre-drilled so all I had to do was tap it out. Just make sure the tap is aimed straight and start twisting it. After about 2-3 turns, make sure you back it out 1/4-1/2 turns before moving forward again.

I was worried about this step as I never had to tap anything before but honestly, it was the easiest thing I did up to that point.

I stopped shortly after that as I have to get parts to the powder coater before I can finish up the complete install, so I wasn't required to get it done and if I did, I wasn't going to be able to get the bike back together all the way. I'm going to finish up the shock install by this weekend and have everything together to the point where all I need to do is reinstall the fender, strut covers, and bracing, and shave down the bolts for the inner fender braces then install the wheel.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:39 PM
Caesar9339
6th Gear

Tapping the holes wasn't very hard at all. I was a little scared at first to mess something up. I ended up using cutting lubricant along with the tap. I also used a cordless drill with clutch set low. I placed the tap in straight and proceeded forward. I would then reverse the drill to clean out the threads every so often. It was pretty straight forward.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Caesar9339
Tapping the holes wasn't very hard at all. I was a little scared at first to mess something up. I ended up using cutting lubricant along with the tap. I also used a cordless drill with clutch set low. I placed the tap in straight and proceeded forward. I would then reverse the drill to clean out the threads every so often. It was pretty straight forward.
The metal is soft enough that you can easily do it by hand with a tap handle. A drill isn't needed for those that either don't want to or don't have a lift that provides the room for a drill.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Caesar9339
6th Gear
Thumbs up

That is true. I didn't have the handle for the tap and opted for the drill. Either way will work fine. Welcome to the SS family.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the same problem with compressor. I swear it wasn't going to fit. Loosened the compressor bracket and worked the head into an area to make it fit, but still there probably wouldn't even be a millimeter clearance

Old 03-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Superrust
Tourer

Glad to see this thread started. I just ordered the shock and considering I've never put something like this on a bike I know it's going to take a bit more time.

Quick Reply: The Shotgun Shock Installation Thread