Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My bags are stiff and wrinked...any tips on how to soften and straighten them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:52 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts
Default My bags are stiff and wrinked...any tips on how to soften and straighten them?

I bought a bag re shaping kit (not Kix's kit, one from ebay) for my 2003 Heritage Springer but I can't get the plastic in...I'm guessing because my bags are so stiff that I can not get the wrinkles out and thus the shapers will not go in.

Does anyone have any tips for making the bags supple again? Mine are stiff and frozen in this wrinkled state.

Appreciate any tips very much.

Some more pics showing the condition of my bags.

I shot Kix a note to see if u can buy his bag lid shapers.

Update one year later:
I bought a bag re shaping kit (not Kix's kit, one from ebay) but I can't get the plastic in...I'm guessing because my bags are so stiff that I can not get the wrinkles out and thus the shapers will not go in.

Does anyone have any tips for making the bags supple again? Mine are stiff and frozen in this wrinkled state.

Appreciate any tips very much.

Well, about a year later, thanks to ECS I have some awesome fringed bags, thanks again Erich!!

But I wanted to try my hand at reviving these bags. I successfully plastic welded the backs (posted in another thread) and I've used Hyde Food, Oberhauf and Pecards at least half a dozen times over the course of the year. It made the lids much better but the bags themselves are super stuff and shiny leather that just repels the products. I end up wiping them off after a few days.

I learned here that I needed to soak the bags in warm water to get them supple then reshape them and stuff with towels so I tried it this weekend.

The results were I'd say 50% successful. Anyone got any other tips or do you think I should try it again after they fully dry this week? It's a pain to do it but I'm willing to do it again if the forum thinks it'll work. As always, appreciate this forum's advice.

Last edited by Joe_G; 03-30-2015 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Update on steps taken to repair bags
Old 03-21-2014, 09:53 PM
CultLdr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't help you but the title of this post is epic

Old 03-21-2014, 10:34 PM
balloo
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Now that I stopped laughing from reading the title of your post, I would suggest that you look up leather treatment products.

I have used several, but like "leather honey". I think that heat from a hair dryer, before and after applying leather treatment may help to the product soak into the leather.
Good luck

Old 03-21-2014, 10:44 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I've been using this product, Buffalo Butter http://www.chilhowee.net/leather-care/BB001.html, about once a month on my seat, bags, tank bib etc. You might want to use it weekly. My leather looks great always shiny and no cracking.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:25 PM
BigMESA
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A nice hot shower will losen them but I'm afraid the wrinkles will never go away.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:15 AM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I dunno...I wouldn't sweat it, I think it's an appropriate characteristic. It's leather after all.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:51 AM
colonelangus1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CultLdr
bah ha ha I was thinking same ..

Dayton ok oil or similar
but it is a kool characteristic of leather bags .. throw over look from days gone bye

Old 03-22-2014, 08:18 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Lol I needed a hook to get people to step into my thread...

Lauren were your bags so nice and supple when you bought the bike? I suspect yours have been properly cared for, and mine have been neglected, so I might need something stronger than the buffalo butter. I appreciate the link though, I'll give them a shout and see what they say.

I enjoy this guy's videos with his trials and tribulations restoring old Harleys. Seems he uses Picard products.

Anyone on here have experience with Pecard products?

http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant.m...ode=motorcycle

Old 03-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CultLdr
I agree, great title and I was going to help, then I realized it was about saddle bags

Old 03-22-2014, 09:43 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Yes my bags were nice when I bought the bike. On the inside of my bags, there are full size plastic pieces (wheelside). I don't know if those are original stock inserts or added inserts, nor can I figure out if they are HD or aftermarket. My leather is all in nice condition so I guess the previous owner took care of it. I do make sure to keep the bags zippered and closed all the time and they are always full of girlie stuff which helps them not look collapsed. I think half my wardrobe is in both bikes' bags.
I'm pretty obsessive about using conditioner on both Heritage bike bags and other leather about once every 3-4 weeks. My bikes are ridden often/daily, rain or shine so I don't baby them but I do keep them clean, waxed and wiped down after rain or riding by the ocean.

Quick Reply: My bags are stiff and wrinked...any tips on how to soften and straighten them?