Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuelpak FP3 for 2013 Softail Slim

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 02:05 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Do you intend to adjust the fueling and spark on your bike, or are you just going to flash the map they send you, and call it good?

Old 03-27-2014, 02:42 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

A lot of confusion seems to stem from the fact that for the longest time there was misinformation on this board that the FP (previous version) only affected your bike in closed loop. That was incorrect.

The FPs have always worked in open and closed loop, as will this new product. I'm not sure data logging matters, since you are flashing a map into your ECM.

But I'll watch the debate and see how the product works out for users.

Bottom line for me on my FP (previous version) was that it worked in open and closed loop and made my Slim with a basic, but good, Stage 1 run better than ever across the board.

No decel pop, runs cool as can be, deep beautiful growl, quick off the line, and smooth on the highway. I even did a shootout vs. the power commander v to satisfy myself that I had made the right choice. The PCV was nice, but the FP was a bit better across the board for me.

Link to my shootout: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...mmander-v.html

The following users liked this post:
nvrsmr303 (08-04-2017)
Old 03-27-2014, 03:02 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
A lot of confusion seems to stem from the fact that for the longest time there was misinformation on this board that the FP (previous version) only affected your bike in closed loop. That was incorrect.

The FPs have always worked in open and closed loop, as will this new product. I'm not sure data logging matters, since you are flashing a map into your ECM.

But I'll watch the debate and see how the product works out for users.

Bottom line for me on my FP (previous version) was that it worked in open and closed loop and made my Slim with a basic, but good, Stage 1 run better than ever across the board.

No decel pop, runs cool as can be, deep beautiful growl, quick off the line, and smooth on the highway. I even did a shootout vs. the power commander v to satisfy myself that I had made the right choice. The PCV was nice, but the FP was a bit better across the board for me.

Link to my shootout: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...mmander-v.html

No, that is not at all what I am talking about. What I am saying is auto tune only works in closed loop. So if you have no way to log data yourself, then you cannot make changes based on the data. Therefore, with this tuner you must rely on the auto tune to tune the closed loop cells, and have no way to tune the open loop cells without guessing.

Last edited by 24v; 03-27-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Yo Nadz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so with the FP3, is it better to run the canned tunes they give you, or auto tune??

Old 03-27-2014, 04:28 PM
agsansoo
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yo Nadz
so with the FP3, is it better to run the canned tunes they give you, or auto tune??
According to the VH tech, start with the canned map than run auto tune to fine tune the map.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:40 PM
dragpny
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see how you can autotune without wideband O2s? Otherwise the factory ecm should be able to do it one it's own. I used the PC V and added Autotune and love it. I pull some runs and update the tables. Very user friendly.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Yo Nadz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by agsansoo
According to the VH tech, start with the canned map than run auto tune to fine tune the map.
What's the process of auto tuning with the fp3? I know I select the auto tune feature, but then what? Does the fuel pack need to stay connected? Ride the bike around the block? for an hour?

Old 04-16-2014, 06:33 AM
Andyintheshed
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Update....

With a pair of Screamin Eagle slip on catalyst silencers (OK, mufflers, to you) and the Fuelpak, the seat-of the pants feeling is that the Slim is running stronger.

Fitting & installing the 'pak was easy enough. I did a 'best guess' from the menu of pipe/silencer combinations at something that sounded near enough (something about slip-ons with standard baffles) & then ran it on autotune.
After a few rides, I flashed the 'learned' values to the ECM.

Anyway, it all seems good. No popping on deceleration and slightly cooler running in stop-start traffic.

I shall fit the K&N standard-replacement filter soon & see what (if any) difference that makes.

All-in-all though, I'm pretty pleased with the difference, modest though some may call it.

Andy

'95 XLH883 Sportster
'13 FLS Slim
Hampshire UK

Old 04-16-2014, 07:56 AM
perryross
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 04-18-2014, 01:41 AM
smiddy28
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autotune problem

I installed the FuelPak FP3 a few days ago and I've been very pleased with the result. Runs cooler, better throttle response, no decel pop and tick-over is more stable; all this from the V&H canned map.

Running autotune presented problems which I eventually overcame; here's how. After flashing the canned map I decided to run the autotune function, I was told to select which map to autotune and I selected the canned map and the FP3 went ahead and flashed the ECM.

This is where it went wrong, the bike would not start, it turned over but would not fire, behaving as if it was out of fuel. My first action was to re-flash the canned map but the FP3 was now in autotune mode so would not allow me the access any installed maps. I selected autotune again and then selected to finish autotuning, I was now able to access the installed maps. I re-flashed the V&H canned map which worked I could now start the bike.

So what went wrong? The following day I attempted to run autotune again after using some of the other functions of the FP3, this produced the same result but this time I noted a message saying "the ECM flash was not completed", once again the bike would not start. After re-flashing the V&H map again and getting the bike running I turned off the engine and switched off the ignition. After waiting 30 seconds I turned on the ignition, waited a further 30 seconds for the FP3 to boot and then run the autotune option, this time the FP3 reported the flash was successful and the bike started.

In summary, it seams the FP3 autotune feature needs to be run without having previously run any other of the FP3 features for that session. My guess is this is an issue with the internal RAM of the FP3.

Can anyone confirm this?

Quick Reply: Fuelpak FP3 for 2013 Softail Slim